• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ravindra Jadeja an ATG test bowler?

Socerer 01

International Captain
I don't see how someone can say 'let's contextualise' and then judge a spinner an ATG based on 'okay' away performances.

Common thread for supporters of certain players is to downgrade previously understood criteria for greatness. Back in the day we expected spinners to actually win games to show their chops.
its clear and obvious that you havent read my post properly or you have and you’re deliberately missing the point as always to continue strawmanning

subshakerz

International Coach
its clear and obvious that you havent read my post properly or you have and you’re deliberately missing the point as always to continue strawmanning
The gist is Jadeja's performances meet a standard of 'okay' and let's be more inclusive for ATGs. Not much to read between the lines.

ma1978

International 12th Man
On the contrary, even if you dislike my opinions, I take the time to articulate them so you can understand and engage with the other side.
you don't have opinions, you have polemics and twist and manipulate data to supp;ort your polemics

ma1978

International 12th Man
there's an interesting debate to be had if Jadeja is the greatest spin allrounder in test history, someone should start a thread on that
assuming you don;t consider Ashwin an AR, and I don't think he is, I'm not sure this is debatable. He's better than Shakib and it was a long time ago when Aubrey Faulkner played

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
assuming you don;t consider Ashwin an AR, and I don't think he is, I'm not sure this is debatable. He's better than Shakib and it was a long time ago when Aubrey Faulkner played
Shakib
Faulkner
Rhodes
These 3 have genuine cases ahead of Jadeja.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Vastly different Eras; he played more matches than G Pollock and Headley; and around the same as O'Reilly.
Rhodes played a lot more for eg, he’s a worthy contender compared to Faulkner as good as he was

its the same as saying Barry Richards and Mike Procter were ATGs, to me they are but half of this forum will rise up with their pitchforks if you say that because their test careers were so short

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Rhodes played a lot more for eg, he’s a worthy contender compared to Faulkner as good as he was

its the same as saying Barry Richards and Mike Procter were ATGs, to me they are but half of this forum will rise up with their pitchforks if you say that because their test careers were so short
They're ATG cricketers for me too. ATG Test cricketers? Probably not. But Faulkner has played more than Pollock and Headley and around the same as Bill O'Reilly; most considers those 3 ATGs.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I distinctly recall Rabada not bowling well in Australia but now in this thread or one of the other threads I am hearing he was great in Australia ..... as people are purely looking at stats... its actually getting ridiculous. Everything is not stats.

Bowling is not an independent thing. You may have been the best bowler and ended up with 1/60 or 2/70. Another bowler such as Rabada may have bowled filth and got 5/60.

Sometimes Srinath would do a lot of the work and Venky Prasad would get all the wickets despite not bowling well. Some other times batsmen would just gift their wickets to Prasad.

So bowling stats can be very misleading, particularly those that reflect just a handful of games (avg in particular series or avg in a particular country).

Therefore Rabada IMO is not even close to being ATG. You watch him bowl and stop reading figures off spreadsheets.
aka Samplesizelol

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
The thing with Jadeja is he keeps bowling in one ark all day long and can get the batsmen bogged down resulting in an unforced error. Daniel Vettori was a similar kind of bowler. Lyon also is that kind of nagging bowler very different from those who try different variations.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
They're ATG cricketers for me too. ATG Test cricketers? Probably not. But Faulkner has played more than Pollock and Headley and around the same as Bill O'Reilly; most considers those 3 ATGs.
Just a funny thought - people would exclude a bad record in a country if they played four matches saying samplesizelol, but will say that one series makes Richards a test ATG lol

(not necessarily you just an amusing observation in general)

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Just a funny thought - people would exclude a bad record in a country if they played four matches saying samplesizelol, but will say that one series makes Richards a test ATG lol

(not necessarily you just an amusing observation in general)
If Richards is an ATG based on that series, then so is Yashasvi Jaiswal. But we both know that people don't rate him based on only of those 4 games.