• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

Spark

Global Moderator
There is something to be said about Aussie players retiring/being-nudged at the right time. It's a better culture. Ponting's the only anomaly. Clarke retired too soon though. It was kind of a "the establishment celebrated him into it" retirement and seemed weird from afar.
Going back to this but I don't agree with this re: Clarke IMO. The bloke -- and specifically his back -- simply could no longer handle the strains of international cricket, and he has said since that if anything he retired too late because his head wasn't in it any more after his best friend, you know, died.

He probably should have retired after the WC.

a massive zebra

International Captain
seriously can we just ignore this guy? sure it's great that everyone has a common enemy but he's clearly just manufacturing pure garbage and everyone is replying to it with the same corrections multiple times. It's boring. Honestly I prefer it when we're at each other's throats.
I agree, this guy is so bad he even makes you look like a good poster. :ph34r:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Reminder that discussing other posters like they can't hear you was one of the things in my list of moderator instructions. Cut it out.

I have set aside slightly more than fifteen minutes to play with all these fun new infraction buttons that make everything more manual and less intuitive than it used to be. Look out.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Reminder that discussing other posters like they can't hear you was one of the things in my list of moderator instructions. Cut it out.

I have set aside slightly more than fifteen minutes to play with all these fun new infraction buttons that make everything more manual and less intuitive than it used to be. Look out.
shady will not stand for this fatwah on third person speaking on his forum

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Is this a serious question?

Dhoni was a wicket keeper by profession, if he is not the greatest wicket keeper going, how can he be the greatest ODI cricketer? Unless you mean his batting was enough to make him the greatest ODI cricketer but there are plenty of batsmen who played around 5-6 in the order who were just as good and some may have been better ,especially as finishers. At the very least there is discussion on this issue, which again goes against Dhoni being the greatest ODI cricketer ever.

I always see it this way: if a player can not make it into a first choice, all time XI, then he can't be considered as the greatest.

Dhoni is certainly one of the greatest, but not number one.

I think that is very simple.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Confirms my suspicion about your lack of comprehension skills. When did I say Dhoni is the best keeper or the best ODI player ever lol. I was just telling you can't really rate 2 keepers based on dismissals per innings.
By the way, I have Gilchrist over Dhoni in my XI.
That's good news, I have Gilly in mine too. If you tried to read my posts, you would see I responded to someone who claimed that Dhoni was better and to think otherwise is "absurd to the extreme". You are the one who responded to that, so obviously I will explain my reasoning for the opposite. You could have started off with "I think Gilly is better too but..."

Anyway, I'm sure you agree my points stand.