• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is cricket an inclusive sport?

weeman27bob

International Regular
I appreciate this is more a response to the thread title rather than the content in the opening post but is the inclusivity problem at a grassroots level less about ethnicity and more about class/income? Relative to most other sports once you get past a softball level cricket probably has a higher cost barrier to playing. But even just with getting children interested in cricket, there's a falling number of state schools in the UK with the right facilities and with the vast majority of cricket being on pay TV it does feel more "exclusive" than say football or rugby.

I think some of the ethnicity arguments are probably more a point at the highest levels of the game but tend to be less overt racism and more to do with inherent power structures.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
in my comp in lower grade sydney there's plenty of non-white representation but tension creeps up pretty often. maybe it's because i'm in a low grade with no official umpires to maintain the peace but yeah. we have one team full of aboriginals(Redfern) and another team full of Indians and the sledging feels extra heated when we play those teams. from both sides mind you.

things can be kept relatively in check until the first dodgy lbw call or caught behind and usually things turn to **** pretty quick from there. last year there was nearly huge fight in our final game, one of our guys apparently celebrated too much after taking a catch, the disgruntled Redfern batsman while walking off yelled 'why are you so happy it was down your throat', our player yelled 'yeah keep walking', redfern batsman walks right up to him talking about 'keep talking mate i'll get a life ban i don't care' etc etc. this is way too common.

nobody's out and out used racial slurs or anything but there definitely feels like there's a big divide. really wish there were more official umpires to go around

SeamUp

International Coach
My own experiences playing with and against black/coloured cricketers in South Africa has been very good. I can't remember one instance of racial tensions when I played provincial trials, school or club cricket.

Do I think cricket is inclusive enough ? It probably isn't & hasn't been world wide because of its beginnings. People who had more free time played. But even going back to dad's father's family coming to SA with 1820 settlers you would farm, go to church and play cricket in rural farming area. Background would have been rather simple being farmers.

In SA I would say percentages playing to people are higher in white people but coloured/Indian/Cape Malay communities will also be pretty high and that brings years of tradition & know-how. Cricket is a unique and maybe clique sport when it wants to be. Economical factors also clearly play a role but I wouldn't use it as a full excuse. So there are barriers to entry in cricket - There always has been & probably will be but you would like to think it has got drastically less since decades ago.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
in my comp in lower grade sydney there's plenty of non-white representation but tension creeps up pretty often. maybe it's because i'm in a low grade with no official umpires to maintain the peace but yeah. we have one team full of aboriginals(Redfern) and another team full of Indians and the sledging feels extra heated when we play those teams. from both sides mind you.

things can be kept relatively in check until the first dodgy lbw call or caught behind and usually things turn to **** pretty quick from there. last year there was nearly huge fight in our final game, one of our guys apparently celebrated too much after taking a catch, the disgruntled Redfern batsman while walking off yelled 'why are you so happy it was down your throat', our player yelled 'yeah keep walking', redfern batsman walks right up to him talking about 'keep talking mate i'll get a life ban i don't care' etc etc. this is way too common.

nobody's out and out used racial slurs or anything but there definitely feels like there's a big divide. really wish there were more official umpires to go around
What comp is this btw?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just don’t get her response. Why don’t more caucasians play more for India, or the West Indies? Because they’re not inclusive? Or just because the majority of ppl there aren’t Caucasian’s?
In fairness what's the caucasian population in India and the West Indies? Like 0.001%? Australia (and England) is quite a bit higher than that. Class is more of a problem with cricketing diversity in the subcontinent (and I think cricket is far more exclusive there than it is here)

I don't think Australia is unintentionally uninclusive but I do wonder if a lack of non-white role models has meant that non-white Australians feel alienated at the national team. Hopefully as more non-whites become more entrenched in Australian culture they'll ruin the perception of cricket not being an inclusive sport.

morgieb

I appreciate this is more a response to the thread title rather than the content in the opening post but is the inclusivity problem at a grassroots level less about ethnicity and more about class/income? Relative to most other sports once you get past a softball level cricket probably has a higher cost barrier to playing. But even just with getting children interested in cricket, there's a falling number of state schools in the UK with the right facilities and with the vast majority of cricket being on pay TV it does feel more "exclusive" than say football or rugby.

I think some of the ethnicity arguments are probably more a point at the highest levels of the game but tend to be less overt racism and more to do with inherent power structures.
I feel like class ruining cricket diversity is a far bigger issue in England than Australia, partially because most cricket is on Sky rather than terrestrial TV (which isn't quite the case here even post 9 losing the rights), partially because it has far more of a posh kids sport reputation there than it does here (you mention rugby as being less exclusive than cricket in the UK whereas to say the opposite is true here is the mother of all understatements). I don't think there's too much problems with getting working-class kids into cricket here.

weeman27bob

International Regular
I feel like class ruining cricket diversity is a far bigger issue in England than Australia, partially because most cricket is on Sky rather than terrestrial TV (which isn't quite the case here even post 9 losing the rights), partially because it has far more of a posh kids sport reputation there than it does here (you mention rugby as being less exclusive than cricket in the UK whereas to say the opposite is true here is the mother of all understatements). I don't think there's too much problems with getting working-class kids into cricket here.
Yeah, I thought it might be something that was more of a UK point than anything else.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Because in Australia, this opinion gets significant exposure in cricket circles, in spite of it being ill informed and just playing along with the dominant modern left/woke theme (colonialism all bad, white oppression always - blah blah). It’s a narrative directed by people employed to perpetuate discontent among minority groups because that discontent keeps them in a job.

I am all for inclusivity, I harbour no racism. This type of clickbait divisive conversation just ****s me to tears. The reason Symonds is probably the only dark skinned guy she saw was that up til the 1980s Australia was mostly a European outpost. In the 1980s we had significant Asian immigration. For the most part there haven’t been swathes of Asians that keen on cricket (most of the 2nd generation are too busy at med school).

I just don’t get her response. Why don’t more caucasians play more for India, or the West Indies? Because they’re not inclusive? Or just because the majority of ppl there aren’t Caucasian’s?
this is a ****ing dire post. jesus christ. the colonialism bit especially.

anyway glad we know most asian lads are too busy in med school to play cricket now. case closed.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Yeah, I thought it might be something that was more of a UK point than anything else.
most certainly. you only have to go watch league cricket in yorkshire and then look at the stunning lack of ethnic representation for the team at county level to realise things aren't right.

grecian

I agree with this totally, class is our problem, the sport doesn't get played in normal comprehensive, less money, less room, less chance, hence why so many of our players are Posh (public School Educated anyway) or brought up elsewhere, or to a cricketing family, sometimes with someone like Compton, Curran and Trott you get the triumvirate.

A marked contrast in days of yore when bowlers came from pits, and people playing for Middlesex were often ****neys.

So no we don't get the same inner-city kids of any colour playing at all, and football always will. Personally think Rugby has a similar problem too, but I suppose maybe a little less.

Burgey

it’s very inclusive at grass roots level here. Primarily because it’s played by clubs and not posh schools. It’s the anti-rugby.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The cost factor and the socio-economic background, as mentioned by others, definitely play a part. Clubs now are faced with spiraling insurance premiums, usually paid by the association and passed down to clubs which subsequently increase membership and match fees. This, and the need (be it real or perceived) for players to own their equipment makes cricket an expensive game.
When I started playing there was very little personal equipment. The Club's kit bag contained 3 or 4 bats and an assortment of pads, gloves, thigh pads and protectors for communal use. When I retired I had my own thigh pad and protector but I never owned my own bat, gloves and pads - probably because I was, primarily, a bowler. However, many team-mates had the full kit and, when I went into umpiring, this became almost mandatory with all players towing large, individual kit bags into their rooms.

TheJediBrah

Covid making this even harder too. Not allowed to share a thing. eg. everyone having to buy their own coloured pads for one dayers, if they didn't already have them.

mr_mister

What’s the standard like?
I’ve played a couple games for a team in the St George DCA comp but I’m just finally getting back into it all
Not terrible even in the lower grades. A lot of older guys but plenty can still bat well. The only decent bowlers though are usually the younger guys on a team and everyone has probably one 'quick'. Only annoying thing is there's too much sledging and blow ups.

RossTaylorsBox

The cost factor and the socio-economic background, as mentioned by others, definitely play a part. Clubs now are faced with spiraling insurance premiums, usually paid by the association and passed down to clubs which subsequently increase membership and match fees. This, and the need (be it real or perceived) for players to own their equipment makes cricket an expensive game.
When I started playing there was very little personal equipment. The Club's kit bag contained 3 or 4 bats and an assortment of pads, gloves, thigh pads and protectors for communal use. When I retired I had my own thigh pad and protector but I never owned my own bat, gloves and pads - probably because I was, primarily, a bowler. However, many team-mates had the full kit and, when I went into umpiring, this became almost mandatory with all players towing large, individual kit bags into their rooms.
When I was a kid my parents couldn't afford gear so I had to borrow everything except a box, which I wore on the field and while bowling. Went for a rep trial and basically was told I wouldn't be selected if I had no personal kit. There's a definite barrier to cricket if you're poor.