• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is cricket an inclusive sport?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
When I was a kid my parents couldn't afford gear so I had to borrow everything except a box, which I wore on the field and while bowling. Went for a rep trial and basically was told I wouldn't be selected if I had no personal kit. There's a definite barrier to cricket if you're poor.
A point well made and one that illustrates my observations.

DriveClub

International Regular
I played 2 seasons of 2 day cricket for kellyville and by end 1st season I had a full kit. I don't play now so my kit is in my garage now gathering dust.

Flem274*

123/5
ross taylors upcoming book could be interesting for this thread, given he's talked at length about having to borrow kit as a kid and respectfully dodges a lot of questions about being a young brown schoolboy in a very white nz sport.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not terrible even in the lower grades. A lot of older guys but plenty can still bat well. The only decent bowlers though are usually the younger guys on a team and everyone has probably one 'quick'. Only annoying thing is there's too much sledging and blow ups.
Are you playing on Astro or turf

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the lowest level juniors at the moment at my club there's about 20% girls and the rest are boys. That's not too bad but given they're mixed groups that can cause issues for the girls not thinking they're "good enough".