• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Andrew Symonds the best fielder we've ever seen?

Is Symonds the best fielder we've ever seen?

• Yes

• Definitely

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Think AB in the modern era is the best. Incredible reflexes (keeper and outfield), rapid pick up and release, excellent boundary fielder too and takes miraculous catches regularly. For all-round versatility and how accomplished he is at two facets of fielding, I'd give it to him. Stokes and Jadeja are close

That run-out of Katich is just truly mind-boggling. Would go as far to say it's one of the greatest 'plays' in sport

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think AB in the modern era is the best. Incredible reflexes (keeper and outfield), rapid pick up and release, excellent boundary fielder too and takes miraculous catches regularly. For all-round versatility and how accomplished he is at two facets of fielding, I'd give it to him. Stokes and Jadeja are close

That run-out of Katich is just truly mind-boggling. Would go as far to say it's one of the greatest 'plays' in sport
That was absurd.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Never seen anyone recover from a dive into a throwing position as fast as Rhodes (or Herschelle Gibbs, who's being strangely ignored here but when he first appeared, he was considered nearly as good as Rhodes). Rhodes also attacked the ball with a lower center of gravity and with more explosiveness than any fielder I've seen.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Ponting is the best I have seen. Pretty much like Jonty, maybe not quite as spectacular, except dead-eyed with his throw. Jonty's direct hits let him down.

Jadeja is probably the second best I have seen. (But I've seen him less and am biased by my 90s experiences)

Compared to those two, I'd rather unkindly say that Jonty couldn't hit the side of a barn. But its a very high bar to compare to.

Jonty made fielding cool though, and when ever anyone does a great stop in hacker club cricket, it is "jonty' that people jokingly call him.

While I saw Richards, Harper, Randell etc. It was too infrequently, and I was too young.

Symonds never really grabbed my attention. I guess I dismissed any CH9 frothing the same as if it was Ian Harvey. I found they got too excited over their (Australian) allrounders. I thought Ponting, in first half of Symonds' career, and then M Clarke in second part were the best ring fielders in his team.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ch9 commentators frothing over Ian Harvey was definitely a thing. They talked about him like he was the second coming of Garry Sobers rather than the borderline international quality player that he was.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ch9 commentators frothing over Ian Harvey was definitely a thing. They talked about him like he was the second coming of Garry Sobers rather than the borderline international quality player that he was.
Yeah he was worse than most NZ bits and pieces dibbly dobblers, but they loved him.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yeah. I saw plenty of Jonty. I don't need a youtube clip to convince me.

When my team took a tight single near backward point v South Africa, in desperation, I backed our chances at around or above 50/50 that if we didn't beat it there was still good chance he'd miss.
When my team took a tight single near Ponting, I was praying. Same with Jadeja now. I'd know we were pretty much f^&*ed before it even left their arms.

However, no doubt, about his spectacular run saving stops. Just didn't rate him as high when in 40th over plus and batters were taking on his throw regardless due to game circumstances.

Depends what you value.

Burgey

The conversation shifted to current players after Spark brought it up. The names being thrown about are not being compared to Symonds.

I think only OS said Jadeja > Symonds.
**** the conversation, Jadeja or anyone going around atm being in the same thread as Symonds, Ponting or even Rhodes (comfortably third out of those three) is a joke

Burgey

someone posts about the warne v jadeja thread ironically $1.50
h_hurricane posts about the warne v jadeja thread unironically $1.90
mods have to hand out warnings before page ten of this thread $2.50
burgey posts about the fabled subcontinent sense of humour being on full display in response to hb $3.00
migara says that murali was a better fielder than roy, jonty, and, jadeja, combined $11.00
what’s the multi paying?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah he was worse than most NZ bits and pieces dibbly dobblers, but they loved him.
The thing with Harvey is that he was meant to be a ****ing gun bat, but at international level he was truly horrible. He held a spot anyway based on hope, fielding and awesome death bowling, but it's the hope that gets ya.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing with Harvey is that he was meant to be a ****ing gun bat, but at international level he was truly horrible. He held a spot anyway based on hope, fielding and awesome death bowling, but it's the hope that gets ya.
Even Harvey’s nickname was more hope than reality

Gob

International Coach
What some of you blokes don't seem to get is that fielding includes several different aspects which require different set of skills and when you are judging the GOAT, you should imo look at blokes who excelled in all those aspects.
Mark Taylor was chubby af but one of the greatest slippers ever as was VVS but you don't want neither in the ring saving runs for your life. Similarly both Jonty and Symonds were exceptional in the ring but not so great slippers. Obviously you also need the opportunity to prove yourself as well. For an example Australia had a bunch of great slippers so Symonds never had a real crack at it at the slips. Same canbe said for some one like Brett Lee who was a brilliant out fielder but he was never going to get a shot at the slips given the team he played at the time.
Anyway this is why Ponting is really unique for me. He excelled at all the aspects. He may not be as good a slipper as say Taylor or as good a ring fielder as Jonty but he was at the same ball park and he was peerless at hitting the stumps.
GOAT for me