• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Andrew Symonds the best fielder we've ever seen?

Is Symonds the best fielder we've ever seen?

• Yes

• Definitely

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Symonds could have played rugby league if he didn't play cricket. NSW would have been glad he didn't though. One more gun player for the greatest origin side in the greatest era of Queensland origin football.

For those who don't know, state of origin is a series of three matches played between QLD and NSW each year. It's highly competitive and until 2006 or so no side had won more than three years in a row. Queensland fielded a side that won 8 in a row and has probably three players who will go down as the best players of all time or close to it in their positions (Thurston at 6/7, Smith at Hooker and Inglis in the centres).
I'm into union rather than league (still gutted about Sat night), but still follow a bit of the 13 man code and would support Queensland in Origin (mainly bcos they had Graeme Lowe as a coach when I was at school and I quite liked Queendland players like Lewis and Meninga and Michael Lynagh in union). Anyway what position would Symmonds have played in league and where would Slater rate among Aussie fullbacks (good player even though he choked in the 2008 WC).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Slater had a good case to be the best full back ever but Lockyer is right up there. I would have imagined Symonds as a second rower or a centre.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Lockyer's case dies with his switch of positions. Lockyer was a fine fullback but he stopped playing there before we could ever see how his age would affect his play. Case closed when it comes to comparing him to someone who remained elite at the position for 15 years.

mr_mister

Best out of Brasher, Peachey and Minichello from the NSW side?

Yes I know Hayne was better than them all

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Rhodes represented South Africa at hockey and was chosen as part of the 1992 Olympic Games squad to go to Barcelona; however, the squad did not qualify to go to the tournament. He was also called up for trials to play in the 1996 Olympics but was ruled out by a hamstring injury.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In Aus it's the sport played by all the uncoordinated and small kids who can't play proper sports but are forced to play something because of school rules. Even soccer is higher on the social ladder, and soccer's not much better

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I played with and against cricketers who were also adept at hockey. A name that springs to mind (though I don't play with/against him) is Ric Charlesworth. An Olympic silver medalist in hockey, he played in 3 winning WA Shield sides.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First decent cricketer to represent Zimbabwe, Dave Houghton, did it in Hockey too. Thami Tsolekile also played a hockey game for SA.

lost a bit of respect for both of them

mr_mister

Going by Zim's '83 cup squad(which included Hick but he didn't play) you've got Kevin Curran and Duncan Fletcher alongside Houghton

Fletcher's all round performance at that cup was super impressive but his FC stuff is a bit lacking. Kevin Curran the inverse of that, didn't do much in his few ODIs but going by his FC record he was probably a better player than anyone bar Andy Flower who ever played for Zim.

edit - Kevin Curran played FC cricket right up until 1999, does anyone know why he never got to represent Zimbabwe again after 1987?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Going by Zim's '83 cup squad(which included Hick but he didn't play) you've got Kevin Curran and Duncan Fletcher alongside Houghton

Fletcher's all round performance at that cup was super impressive but his FC stuff is a bit lacking. Kevin Curran the inverse of that, didn't do much in his few ODIs but going by his FC record he was probably a better player than anyone bar Andy Flower who ever played for Zim.

edit - Kevin Curran played FC cricket right up until 1999, does anyone know why he never got to represent Zimbabwe again after 1987?
what

mr_mister

Oh was in response to Jedi saying Houghton was Zims first decent cricketer. Should employ the quote button more