• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Andrew Symonds the best fielder we've ever seen?

Is Symonds the best fielder we've ever seen?

• Yes

• Definitely

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shady Slim

International Coach
And yes, Jadeja is > Symonds... More accurate and therefore better arm.
someone posts about the warne v jadeja thread ironically $1.50
h_hurricane posts about the warne v jadeja thread unironically $1.90
mods have to hand out warnings before page ten of this thread $2.50
burgey posts about the fabled subcontinent sense of humour being on full display in response to hb $3.00
migara says that murali was a better fielder than roy, jonty, and, jadeja, combined $11.00

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was actually going save hb the trouble as soon as red made this thread and make a "Rhodes was better than any Australian" or "*insert Indian cricketer* better than *insert Australian cricketer*" post on his behalf but thought I'd give him the chance to do it himself

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly Jonte was fantastic but Ponting and Symonds were, and I'm betting generous to Jonte here, no less than his equals.

TheJediBrah

Jonty was a significantly worse catcher, than Ponting especially, but I wouldn't say it's unfair to say there were no noticeably better ground fielders

anyway despite the nosedive this thread is about to take at least we're talking about the proper fielders again and not hacks like Warner and Maxwell

OverratedSanity

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, does no one else remember Symonds in the slips or did I just imagine this?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, does no one else remember Symonds in the slips or did I just imagine this?
He fielded in the slips a bit in Tests but he wasn't great at it. Shelled a sitter the first time he got put in there IIRC, which prompted the inevitable "yeah he shouldn't field there, he's more of an asset at cover anyway, etc" discussion.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I was amazed when I saw Derek Randell fielding, so far ahead of any other player. Jonty and Ricky then became even better because of their hitting the stumps.

Symonds was great, but not close to those 3.

OverratedSanity

He fielded in the slips a bit in Tests but he wasn't great at it. Shelled a sitter the first time he got put in there IIRC, which prompted the inevitable "yeah he shouldn't field there, he's more of an asset at cover anyway, etc" discussion.
Ah so like Jadeja then. Nice

Daemon

Ponting’s like the Bradman of throwing the stumps down. No one comes anywhere close.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Second innings of *that Test* in Sydney 2008:

14.2 Johnson to Dravid, no run
Dropped, Symonds grasses a sitter at first slip, Johnson hit the perfect length and line across the right-hander, Dravid was squared up on the back foot as he fended at the ball, the outside edge flew comfortably to Symonds who is at first slip because Hayden is injured, the ball popped in and popped right out

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It definitely wasn't a regular thing. I think it only really happened when someone was injured like in that game.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fun story about Symonds

Played for my uni when I finished

Uni guys were out until all hours and we rarely fielded a full team

One guy was teacher & he brought along a 14yo kid & it turns out to be Andrew

Hit a 6 which went miles

Out of ground, across road and into a pool

At 14!!!

We had a test player in our team and he had never seen anything like it

That’s how talented those guys are

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I was actually going save hb the trouble as soon as red made this thread and make a "Rhodes was better than any Australian" or "*insert Indian cricketer* better than *insert Australian cricketer*" post on his behalf but thought I'd give him the chance to do it himself
Yeah, stating or even comprehending facts has always been beyond you when it comes to cricket topics, so I am not surprised you couldn't this time either. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
someone posts about the warne v jadeja thread ironically $1.50
h_hurricane posts about the warne v jadeja thread unironically $1.90
mods have to hand out warnings before page ten of this thread $2.50
burgey posts about the fabled subcontinent sense of humour being on full display in response to hb $3.00
migara says that murali was a better fielder than roy, jonty, and, jadeja, combined $11.00
TJB saying "no I knew hb would post this all along" $0.25