• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Andrew Symonds the best fielder we've ever seen?

Is Symonds the best fielder we've ever seen?

• Yes

• Definitely

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stokes is up there but as an outfielder and in the slips, don’t recall too much of him in the ring

Pollard one of the best outfielders ever imo. Past his prime now but still quality.

Bavuma pretty handy too

But in all roundness I think Jadeja/Jordan from the active lot

Daemon

Stokes is up there but as an outfielder and in the slips, don’t recall too much of him in the ring

Pollard one of the best outfielders ever imo. Past his prime now but still quality.

Bavuma pretty handy too

But in all roundness I think Jadeja/Jordan from the active lot
This is LOs ofc, if Tests then I think it’s Stokes because he’s likely to make more of an impact on the game via slip catching.

TheJediBrah

I knew this thread would turn into "list every good fielder you can think of"

no one currently playing is close to the standard of Symonds, Ponting or Rhodes

lol at Warner and Maxwell

no way some of the ones mentioned here are better than ROY
most are not even close

TheJediBrah

But if we are going to be throwing out the name very half-decent fielder we can think of then I'll go with Paul Collingwood. Much better than most listed so far

Daemon

But if we are going to be throwing out the name very half-decent fielder we can think of then I'll go with Paul Collingwood. Much better than most listed so far
I knew this thread would turn into "list every good fielder you can think of"

no one currently playing is close to the standard of Symonds, Ponting or Rhodes

lol at Warner and Maxwell

most are not even close

The conversation shifted to current players after Spark brought it up. The names being thrown about are not being compared to Symonds.

I think only OS said Jadeja > Symonds.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great fielders are really hard to judge unless you see them live, and I never did with Symonds, the way they eat up ground with minimal effort is often the thing, rather than the spectacular, and maybe bizarrely I think Chris Jordan is the best I've seen live.

OverratedSanity

The conversation shifted to current players after Spark brought it up. The names being thrown about are not being compared to Symonds.

Ok, so I dont actually think Jadeja>Symonds mainly because figuring out which fielder is better is simply a much more weirdly difficult conversation to be had than a comparison of batsmen/bowlers.

He's probably the closest thing to Symonds today though, insanely atheltic, safe hands, rocket arm. Symonds a better catcher in the slips and off his own bowling though. The fact that he played with ponting probably makes me unfairly a little biased against him in a GOAT fielder debate.

TheJediBrah

I know, but I did
Ok, so I dont actually think Jadeja>Symonds mainly because figuring out which fielder is better is simply a much more weirdly difficult conversation to be had than a comparison of batsmen/bowlers.

He's probably the closest thing to Symonds today though, insanely atheltic, safe hands, rocket arm. Symonds a better catcher in the slips and off his own bowling though. The fact that he played with ponting probably makes me unfairly a little biased against him in a GOAT fielder debate.
Symonds never fielded in the slips as far as I'm aware, and I saw the vast majority of his international career

TheJediBrah

I still think Symonds > Ponting (slightly) in the ring. Never seen anyone do some of the things Symonds could.

TheJediBrah

I'm not sure he did even in Tests, unless it was a rare occasion where he was 4th slip or something