• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland and Afghanistan awarded Test status by ICC

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fantastic news.

Really makes the 10-team World Cup in 2019 seem even more ridiculous, though.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I anticipate great things for Afghanistan and Ireland in the second division. England and Bangladesh will be hard opponents but they can overcome.

Daemon

Teams touring India and England should definitely squeeze in tests before the series starts. Would be good warm up too and they wouldn't have to put up with the farce that tour games are these days.

Starfighter

Just seen that the same meeting decided to kick out USACA. Nothing official yet though.

Edit: Yup here we go
Not surprised. Their administration makes the WICB seem competent and transparent.
The only snag with this is having to redefine what constitutes a Test Class cricketer. After years of ridiculing Derek Pringle he's now fully worth his place in the hall of fame.
You won't find any argument from me there. Apparently England thought he was class enough to play 30 tests.

Scaly piscine

Good stuff, I'm still of the opinion that new/weak teams should basically play each other and concentrate on home Tests against stronger teams - tours should be against the A sides when you're involving the big countries. Ireland playing a tour in Australia is pointless, likewise how Bangladesh touring England, South Africa etc. in their early days was utterly futile. Ireland and Afghanistan can be competitive at home but they've got to show more before the likes of India, Australia, England etc. are obliged to host them.

Ireland will have an advantage to get home Tests because not much Test cricket gets played May-August aside from in England (& at that ****** Ashes Test stealing Welsh ground).

social

Apparently Oz are scheduled to tour Afghanistan in 2021

In other news, I have just seen a pig fly past my window

mr_mister

Great news

I don't want the tier system however

It's also 5 years too late for Ireland. Theyl get 2-3 years out of their vets before they are old and washed up, will be tough moving forward. Afghanistan however will be beating the windies and NZ in no time, great news for them

Last edited:

mr_mister

Also, this makes that ongoing minnow tournament where the winner was meant to be granted test status a little pointless lol

TheJediBrah

Presumably Afghanistan will be playing in neutral venues for "home" matches? Can't imagine too many sides touring Afghanistan

Good stuff, I'm still of the opinion that new/weak teams should basically play each other and concentrate on home Tests against stronger teams - tours should be against the A sides when you're involving the big countries. Ireland playing a tour in Australia is pointless, likewise how Bangladesh touring England, South Africa etc. in their early days was utterly futile. Ireland and Afghanistan can be competitive at home but they've got to show more before the likes of India, Australia, England etc. are obliged to host them.

Ireland will have an advantage to get home Tests because not much Test cricket gets played May-August aside from in England (& at that ****** Ashes Test stealing Welsh ground).
If Ireland were to tour Australia it would be something along the lines of a 2 Test series over the winter like what Bangladesh did when they toured. In decades of Test cricket Bangladesh and Zimbabwe have toured Aus once each for a grand total of 2 Tests. I wouldn't expect Ireland to suddenly get a full tour.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hopefully each other. I'd be immense.
One of Ireland and Afghanistan have won the ICC Intercontinental cup every tournament since 2005 and thats unlikely to change for this one which is lined up to be Ireland vs. Afghanistan. Should make the final a Test match.

morgieb

Terrific news. Wonder when we'll see them in a Test.

Does seem a bit ridiculous that we'll be missing at least 2 Full Members in the next World Cup.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Damn straight. But let's face it, the Kenyan board did nothing to help the team reach test status. Based on performance, kenya should have been a Test nation in 2004.