• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam Ul haq vs Javid Maindad

who was a better batsman?

• Javid Miandad

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Inzamam Ul hap

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have not followed the game when Javed played but statistics say that Miandad was only out LBW 4 times in 62 home tests! That is something.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Interestingly, in most of the games Miandad was given out LBW Mahboob Shah was standing in them.

Without knowing the full story or seeing the dismissals it would indicate that he was a good umpire and that his first class cricket experience helped him. Pure conjecture, but it is a big coincidence.

I have not followed the game when Javed played but statistics say that Miandad was only out LBW 4 times in 62 home tests! That is something.
Who knows his foot-work was such that it was not easy to get him out LBW?BTW,how many times was he given out LBW when playing away from home?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That was patently because Lawry just didn't get lbw, Australia Umpires would never cheat, quite unlike those Pakistani scumbags who were blatantly all cheats just because they got the most complaints.

(Just in case - YES, THIS POST WAS EXTREMELY SARCASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WoW. :mellow: Why on Earth has no-one ever shown me that before? :blink:

I must have read 30 or 40 times that Javed was immune from lbws in Pakistan; never got given lbw by Pakistani Umpires; etc. I cannot believe that that many people could be mistaken.

Or maybe they just meant in the first decade of his career.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I just cannot believe that a non "senior" player who wasn't even considered all that as a batsman would get as much preferential treatment as many would seem to claim. One would think that he would get more favorable decisions when he became more established as a batsman, but instead the opposite is true.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
WoW. :mellow: Why on Earth has no-one ever shown me that before? :blink:

I must have read 30 or 40 times that Javed was immune from lbws in Pakistan; never got given lbw by Pakistani Umpires; etc. I cannot believe that that many people could be mistaken.

Yes thats true to a large extent. Also have a look at this.

Miandad's lbw's away from home

These 25 lbw in away tests are in 64 games (39%) and the 8 at home are from 60 games (13%). You can see the difference.

Add to that the fact that all 8 at home came in 27 games of his last 9 series at home (30%) and ZILCH in the first 33 at home and you get the picture

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Before someone throws Gavaskar's lbw argument at me let me answer it in advance.

Whenever the question of umpiring in Pakistan comes up, people throw in the umpiring in India as an 'argument' as if that somehow justifies the other.

It is also claimed that Gavaskar was rarely if ever given out lbw at home. This is a complete fallacy. Gavaskar, basically had a superb technique, great footwork which took him right behind the ball and he hardly ever feined to play the ball when he was actually hiding the bat away from the ball. This resulted in his low lbw rate NOT JUSTAT HOME but also away from home.

Here it is.

Code:
[B]At	Inns*	LBW's	%age[/B]
Home	101	10	9.9
Away	97	7	7.2
Overall	198	17	8.6
*completed innings

Not only does he have a low lbw rate everywhere, he has a higher % of lbw's at home than away. Probably because of the relatively lower bounce of Indian wickets as compared to some of those around the world. Or maybe just a statistical chance.

But no evidence here of Gavaskar being favoured by Indian umpires.

I know this is not the subject here but it does come up sometimes and I thought this was a chance to clarify since I was lookingat javed's figures anyway.

Needless to say Gavaskars batting record at home (50+) is not different from thataway (52+) while Javed's is Home - 61 and away 45 !!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This may take a while but Im interested in the results. Have no real dog in this race and I will list the results here no matter what they show.

Difference in LBW dismissals home and away for the major bowlers during Miandads career (ie 70s-80s)

Should show if there are patterns and trends in certain places towards certain players or get rid of the theory all together.

EDIT- Didnt take too long

% of Wickets LBW at Home

38% Wasim
32% Kapil
29% Imran
26% Qadir
22% Botham
20% Hadlee
19% Garner
17% Lillee
17% Marshall
17% Walsh
16% Holding
12% Roberts
12% Willis
8% Thomson

% of Wickets LBW Away

25% Garner
23% Marshall
23% Wasim
20% Botham
19% Kapil
19% Lillee
18% Hadlee
17% Imran
16% Roberts
13% Qadir
13% Holding
13% Walsh
11% Thomson
7% Willis

Difference in % of Wickets LBW at Home and Away

15 Wasim
13 Qadir
13 Kapil
12 Imran
5 Willis
4 Walsh
3 Holding
2 Hadlee
2 Botham
-2 Roberts
-2 Lillee
-3 Thomson
-6 Marshall
-6 Garner

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yep all umpires are rotten aside from NZ's, those figures prove that, Hadlee same here as away.

;)