• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam Ul haq vs Javid Maindad

who was a better batsman?

• Javid Miandad

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Inzamam Ul hap

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saleem Malik >any Pakistani batsman but no one resects him & consider him worthy of being mentioned because he was a match fixer.Yes,he deserves to be hated but you can't change the fac that he's the best Pakistani batsman ever.
No way. Inzamam, Miandad and Hanif are all ahead of him. Anwar too probably, while Younis and Yousuf will probably end up better.

Both are statistically close. Inzamam had the Ws to support, Javed had 'Shakoor' to support him and other batsmen.
Its not like Shakoor was umpiring in every test Miandad played at home & neither was he always the one at non-striker's end whenever some bowler made LBW appeal against Miandad.

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its not like Shakoor was umpiring in every test Miandad played at home & neither was he always the one at non-striker's end whenever some bowler made LBW appeal against Miandad.
I meant that in a lighter vein. Javed Miandad is a better player IMO.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pakistani umpires.
If people want to discount averages of Pakistan players at home (and they might think of doing that - I don't have a big a problem with some one doing it), you have to discount averages of other countries like say Australia too. I have heard and seen a lot of cases of Aussie umpires being dire. There was a stat I came across in the mid 90s that tests in Australia had the highest portion of lbws given against away teams compared to home teams among all teams. I can't remember which period the stat referred to but it was definitely in context of home umpires.

The point is Pakistan isn't the only country where umpiring was biased. A case can be made against some other countries too. There is no way of proving that Pakistan home bias was more than some other countries. I don't like Pakistan being segregated for some thing like this.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Pakistani umpires.
So the Pakistani umps are the only ones you want to single out? Dire.

If people want to discount averages of Pakistan players at home (and they might think of doing that - I don't have a big a problem with some one doing it), you have to discount averages of other countries like say Australia too. I have heard and seen a lot of cases of Aussie umpires being dire. There was a stat I came across in the mid 90s that tests in Australia had the highest portion of lbws given against away teams compared to home teams among all teams. I can't remember which period the stat referred to but it was definitely in context of home umpires.

The point is Pakistan isn't the only country where umpiring was biased. A case can be made against some other countries too. There is no way of proving that Pakistan home bias was more than some other countries. I don't like Pakistan being segregated for some thing like this.
DId I mention how glad I am to have you back on CW? :)

haroon510

International 12th Man
:-O

Anyway, my answer to this previously still stands. It was that I would rather have Inzi in my team than Miandad but that given the choice Id rather have Inzi on the oppositions side than them having Miandad.
why and why?

Perm

Yes,all Pakistanis are born cheats of course and all other nations remain honest & sinless from birth till death8-) .
So the Pakistani umps are the only ones you want to single out? Dire.
I wasn't trying to single out the Pakistani umpires, but it was well known fact that it was very difficult to get Javed Miandad out when he was playing at home, because of the umpires. Somebody once made the comment that the only way the umpire would give him out was to knock all three stumps out of the ground.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I highly doubt he'd be given not-out if he nicked it to slip.

It was only lbws that he was immune from. Yet the fact that he still scored a mountain of runs outside Pakistan suggests this didn't really make all that much difference, to me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

No, neither do I, it's ridiculous, and borders on conspiracy-theorism.

Perm

I highly doubt he'd be given not-out if he nicked it to slip.

It was only lbws that he was immune from. Yet the fact that he still scored a mountain of runs outside Pakistan suggests this didn't really make all that much difference, to me.
Maybe if it went to 2nd or 3rd. But if it was just a feathered edge, but still a reasonable edge, then he was often given not out. I'm not saying he was incapable of scoring with top level umpiring, that's far from the case. But undoubtedly some of these indiscretions helped him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've not seen any evidence to suggest thin edges were as-a-rule given not-out TBH. It's not like an lbw where the Umpire only can make the decision. A nick is either right or wrong; out or not-out. There's no subjectivity.

Perm

Yeah, a nick is usually given out, which is what should happen. But not if the umpire doesn't think there was a nick.

Also, I'm not trying to attack Pakistani umpires, but from what I've read, they were by far the worst.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, me too. But I've read between the lines, too, and I think this "it was all those nasty cheating subcontinentals" is bull**** TBH.