• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam Ul Haq Retires From Test Cricket

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Does no one rate Zaheer Abbas at all?
I think Zaheer Abbas was one of the two finest Pakistani batsmen of all time. Hanif being the other.

Zaheer was the better stroke player of the two with magnificient driving as well as square of the wicket strokes. Great sense of timing and a real spectacle in full flow.

Haneef was a master technician with impregnable defence and very correct stroke play but no flamboyance. He was the way classical opening batsmen were generally accepted to be in those times. When he did play his strokes they were beautiful to watch.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I think Zaheer Abbas was one of the two finest Pakistani batsmen of all time. Hanif being the other.

Zaheer was the better stroke player of the two with magnificient driving as well as square of the wicket strokes. Great sense of timing and a real spectacle in full flow.

Haneef was a master technician with impregnable defence and very correct stroke play but no flamboyance. He was the way classical opening batsmen were generally accepted to be in those times. When he did play his strokes they were beautiful to watch.
Where do you rate them compared to Inzi/Javed?

haroon510

International 12th Man
i wanted to start a thread like that
jawid mindad vs inzimam ul haq

i don't think javid has played as many match saving and match winning innings as many as inzi has played..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Where do you rate them compared to Inzi/Javed?
Zaheer and Haneef were much better batsmen than Inzi and Javed.

Between Inzy and Javed it is more tricky to chose. Its something like chosing between Ponting and Border. Javed was a scrapper like Border and fought his battles hard. Inzy bats a bit as if he hasn't a care in the world. Normally that would mean that the Borders and the Miandads will end up with better statistics while the Inzys and the Pontings will give much greater pleasure.

PS : I know Ponting both gives pleasure and has great stats but I couldn't think of a better Aussie example rightaway :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Waugh fairly apt here, one feels.
Yes. I was going to put his name but I think most would have felt it was not such a difficult choice between him and Border (with most going for Border) as there was between Inzy and Javed.

But you are right. He is more appropriate for the comparison in batting attitude.

PS : I also feel Mark Waugh was more like Laxman. Inzy wasn't that "bad". He did play according to the situation and for the side. Laxman and Mark Waugh seemed to play for their own personal pleasure. :)

Beleg

International Regular
NP,

My appologies. It's actually the second test. Inzamam scored 50 odd from 150 balls - I remember watching the game live, and pretty much all batsmen, with the exception of Inzamam and to an extent Saeed were clueless against Murali who was at the top of his game.

I know the figures for both Murali and Inzamam aren't very impressive in that game, but in context, it was one of the more fascinating battles of ball and bat I have seen in a test match.

As much as I hate the person,I think the best Pakistani batsman ever has to be Saleem Malik because of his tremendous success against the best sides of his time(something which Inzamam,Miandad & Zaheer lacked).Malik averages 45 against West Indies,46 against Australia & 60 against England.Top 5 for me:

1.Saleem Malik
2.Hanif Mohammad
3.Inzamam-ul-Haq
4.Javed Miandad
5.Saeed Anwar

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As much as I hate the person,I think the best Pakistani batsman ever has to be Saleem Malik because of his tremendous success against the best sides of his time(something which Inzamam,Miandad & Zaheer lacked).Malik averages 45 against West Indies,46 against Australia & 60 against England.Top 5 for me:

1.Saleem Malik
2.Hanif Mohammad
3.Inzamam-ul-Haq
4.Javed Miandad
5.Saeed Anwar
Hey Bhupinder, If you are going to look at Statsguru to pick the best then check this out :-

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

Treeny

Cricket Spectator
True great of Pakistani cricket hopefully hell get a great send of like so many great players dont.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Top five for mine:

1. Javed
2. Inzi
3. Hanif
4. Zaheer
5. Saeed

Malik doesn't get consideration because hes a ratbag scum-bastard, or whatever the hell one calls match-fixers these days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Damien Fleming said:
One of my lasting memories of Inzy was during his last trip to Australia [2004-05]. The Australian press asked him what he felt about Glenn McGrath targetting him during the series. Inzy's response was, "Isn't that what bowlers do?" Always made his point in his own way without saying too much.
:laugh::lol: Brilliant!

Days of Grace

International Captain
Top five for mine:

1. Javed
2. Inzi
3. Hanif
4. Zaheer
5. Saeed

Malik doesn't get consideration because hes a ratbag scum-bastard, or whatever the hell one calls match-fixers these days.
I notice no-one is placing Yousuf even in their top five, despite him having an average above 56...

All Rounder

Cricket Spectator
I notice no-one is placing Yousuf even in their top five, despite him having an average above 56...
I would rate even Younis higher than Yousaf .Not only he has prformed better than Yousaf in Australia and SA but also surprisingly in India and Sri lanka as well.In fact Younis has a more balanced record than Inzimam as well .It will be interesting to see where Younis reaches before finishing his career.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because Mohamamd Yousuf, despite being a run machine for the last couple of years, isn't actually as good as that average suggests. He has failed to perform against Australia, Sri Lanka and South Africa, the teams that posess the best bowlers.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yousuf's career is not over yet, and I personally find it hard to rate players in such a manner until at least near the end of their careers. Its hard to take in the effects of the context of a player's achievements often until well after they end their playing careers. Its fair to say though that with the exit of Inzamam, Yousuf is likely to have more pressure placed on him as the premier batsman in the team for the next few years than he has ever had at any pint during his career. The way he is able to hadle this pressure will show a lot about him as a player imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because Mohamamd Yousuf, despite being a run machine for the last couple of years, isn't actually as good as that average suggests. He has failed to perform against Australia, Sri Lanka and South Africa, the teams that posess the best bowlers.
And his scorebook average between December 2005 and October 2006 (he's only played 6 innings in the year since then) is grossly flattering in any case.