• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam Ul Haq Retires From Test Cricket

Beleg

International Regular
The end of an era.

A great match-winner (17 centuries out of 25 in wins) and an amazing batsman to watch. There have been, and will be, endless debates over his place in the pantheon of Pakistani batting greats but I can say without reservations that during my cricket watching life, starting from early 90's, I never saw a better batsman play for our country. He contributed to more wins for the country than any other cricketer I can think of, with the exception of Akram.

On a personal note, he was my favourite batsman since the day, as a wee kid, I saw my family go bonkers while he was playing that knock in Auckland.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will be missed, but hopefully he can come back into the side, score some runs and re-unite with Younis Khan and Mohammad Yousuf for one last time.

Then breeze into the sunset like so few Pakistanis have ever managed to.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Quality player and caried Pakistan to so many wins.

I hope he got the chance to make this decision himself and leave with his head held high

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Had a tear in my eye when I read the CI headline at work. He, along with Akram, played a huge part in getting me hooked on cricket. Words cannot describe how much I'll miss the big guy.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Who then, Miandad? Inzi would probably get my nod because he had to play with the LBW law in place during home tests.

Beleg

International Regular
Once I have some time, I'll compile the reasons as to why I consider Inzamam the best batsman produced by Pakistan.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Its an interesting one - Javed had a much better record against several countries, but a noticeably worse one against the Windies. Now Inzi had his success against a Windies attack that probably wasn't the equal of the ones Javed played against, but which contained Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop. Conversely, Inzi did much worse against Australia than Javed.

I'm not certain that Inzi>Javed, but I reckon its not a silly idea that he could be. And that's a pretty big tribute to the guy's quality. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There are some players who make batting look like the easiest thing on earth. Inzy was one such. An absolute pleasure to watch. One of the few to be equally at ease in both forms of the game.

Its sad that he had to leave like this when he was clearly interested in playing more. Accordingto me a simple man caught up in the intricacies of Pakistani cricket politics.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its an interesting one - Javed had a much better record against several countries, but a noticeably worse one against the Windies. Now Inzi had his success against a Windies attack that probably wasn't the equal of the ones Javed played against, but which contained Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop. Conversely, Inzi did much worse against Australia than Javed.

I'm not certain that Inzi>Javed, but I reckon its not a silly idea that he could be. And that's a pretty big tribute to the guy's quality. :)
There's really not that much between Roberts, Holding, Garner, Croft and Ambrose, Bishop, Walsh, Patterson\Benjamin\Cuffy\Benjamin IMO TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who then, Miandad? Inzi would probably get my nod because he had to play with the LBW law in place during home tests.
TBH, it was only late in Inzy's career that the wholly neutral-Umpire thing came in. Inzy has only been lbw in Pakistan 15 times (out of 77 innings), which compares similarly with Kenny Barrington, given lbw in England 15 times out of 73 innings.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Probably negates the whole flat pitch of the early 2000s thing to an extent though, making for a more even comparison...

Matt79

Global Moderator
There's really not that much between Roberts, Holding, Garner, Croft and Ambrose, Bishop, Walsh, Patterson\Benjamin\Cuffy\Benjamin IMO TBH.
Javed was fairly owned by Sly Clarke and Colin Croft early on, and a young Walsh also made an impression. TBF to myself, I did highlight the presence of Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop in a context which made it clear that I thought this was still a top notch attack.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably negates the whole flat pitch of the early 2000s thing to an extent though, making for a more even comparison...
Not sure of Inzy's 1992-2001:2001\02-2006\07 breakdown TBH, would be an interesting thing to do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF to myself, I did highlight the presence of Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop in a context which made it clear that I thought this was still a top notch attack.
Yes, certainly, but as I say... I really think you could make a case for one being virtually as strong as the other. You seemed to be saying moreorless "the other one weren't half bad either, but the first was obviously a bit better".