• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's Upcoming Batsman - How do you rate them?

Who will be the Best Test Batsman?

• Total voters

Satyanash89

Banned
Yeah, but once they go past 27/28 the argument against them is that they are too old and we should now give someone young like Unmukt Chand/Mandeep Singh or someone else who will come up a go.

Or even some other bloke who may be equally old but is performing in ODI's.

Think his best route to the test side will be the ODI side now or the opener's slot even though he isn't a FC opener.
Yeah.... this is why its a cause for concern. Yuvraj and Raina need to gagfed

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Gambhir (only picking him because my knowledge of Indian openers is **** all, and he's better than Mukund and Murali Vijay)
Rahane
Pujara
Sharma
Kohli

Is that really a terrible top 5?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also, is one of the Tiwarys not meant to be quite good?

Who was the batsman who came over to England a couple of years ago on an A tour and gunned it? (or was that Pujara?)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also, is one of the Tiwarys not meant to be quite good?
Manoj Tiwary is absolute beast in domestic cricket; in fact it's fair to say he's outperformed many of those selected ahead of him. He's done okay in the few ODIs he's played too. He's not rated as highly as the others though because he's technically pretty poor. I saw you make a post in the other thread about how you don't rate Mukund; you'd definitely not be a Tiwary fan in that case.

Saurabh Tiwary is technically just as limited as Manoj from what I've seen and doesn't have a record anywhere near as outstanding, but he's only 22 (Manoj is 27) and has had a pretty decent start to his domestic career overall given that.

I'm not sure what which you would've heard with "quite good" - probably Manoj because of his domestic exploits I'd say.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel aging (by number) but fit (by physique) batsmen are better for India than just young batsmen, or any young player picked for India. Their emphasis on youth will bite them harder than the poor form of Tendulkar, Sehwag and Gambhir. Already the slow bowlers are mere schoolboys in Tests, and the batsmen, not much better.

India's middle-order should have Paras Dogra, Mohammed Kaif and Mithun Manhas, with Badrinath as a reserve. These youngsters should tour with India A and (believe it or not) play plenty of IPL/other T20 leagues, where they face international quality bowlers that Ranji will never provide.

Prince mentions Manoj Tiwary, who's definitely a beast in domestic cricket. In the much-maligned IPL, however, he was a mouse against raw pace. Maybe in four years, he's improved, but he's still patchy.

Ginger's Top Five looks good, but Rahane as opener now is a far bigger risk than Sehwag was in those days, or even Sehwag now. Rahane is an occasional opener, and will be found out- like he has been in ODIs. He isn't even a striker to make up for it on flat decks like Sehwag. Otherwise, my lack of optimism about India's youth notwithstanding, it's a good top five. Push Uday Kaul at six and it is a good top six.

cnerd123

likes this
Mukund, Vijay/Chand, Pujara, Rahane, Kohli, Jadeja as a top 6 for me. The keeper bats at 7. Rohit Sharma and M.Tiwary in reserve. I like Pandey too, but I doubt he'll ever catch the selector's attention unless he beasts it for a couple of seasons.

Don't mind Kaif and Badri as short-term solutions, and probably one of Karthik/Saha/Goswami to take over from MSD as keeper. Really no shortage of batting talent tbh. They just need some gametime.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah same with mine. Happy to give Mukund another chance. Yeah he wasn't amazing in his test appearances so far but he has been judged due to his performances in England against a seriously good bowling line-up.

Didn't light up the WI, but not many Indian players did either.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dheeraj Jadhav should fit in as an immediate replacement for Gambhir. He has over 500 runs this season opening the innings for Assam. Shikhar Dhawan, slightly less (437). Mukund, on the other hand, isn't scoring enough at present.

Also check up on Paras Dogra, five centuries in over 700 runs. Mohammed Kaif is getting runs where wickets tumble, and is also in the 500 club. Knocking on the 700 register with nearly a fifty or hundred every innings is Mithun Manhas- with two centuries and five over 50- seven innings out of eleven over 50.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
And now with Sachin's retirement, Gambhir and Sehwag out of the side a new Era is almost beginning for Indian test batting and team as a whole.

All of Kohli, Pujara and Sharma have shown some potential now in tests in terms of performances and established their places for some time atleast. While Dhawan and Vijay are the current placeholders as far as the opening slots are concerned.

Will be interesting who takes over the mantle to be the main man now ?

And who takes the remaining slot ?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhawan: Don't rate him that high tbh. It's not just his dodgy technique but his temperament that worries me. His dismissals this series were so casual it seemed as though he didn't really care about succeeding here.

Pujara - Good enough to make a world XI imo. Although he hasn't been tested overseas yet apart from that South African tour, I think he'll do ok away from home. Looks as though he has a strong enough foundation to succeed everywhere but let's see.

Kohli - I'm hoping he starts to convert some of these small innings into big ones more often. His Australia tour certainly showed he has promise but he really needs to start delivering now. Love his passion and his douchey attitude and think he'll end up the second best of the generation after Pujara.

Rohit Sharma - He's really won me over in the last few weeks. Regardless of how poor west indies' attack was, he scored a brilliant ton to rescue us in the first match, and his maturity as he shielded the tail in the second test was quite awesome to watch. Too early to say but I've always thought he shouldve been given a shot at tests a long time ago.

smash84

The Tiger King
How can you love Kohli's douchey attitude? Just horrible. Because of his horrible attitude I wish he fails every single time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How can you love Kohli's douchey attitude? Just horrible. Because of his horrible attitude I wish he fails every single time.

How can I not? He's a douche but immensely talented as well... And he's more of the arrogant sort of douche who thinks he's awesome rather than the whiny the whole world hates me sort like Watson. :D

In the team I'd rather have a douchebag who cares a lot about his game than a nice guy who doesn't give a ****

And Viv loves him too so haters can gagf :ph34r:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
We are gonna learn a lot about these guys in the next year, but it's a very exciting time, Pujara looks like the kind of guy that is prepared to work really hard to correct imperfections, so I'd back him to learn how to play overseas, Kohli has already had some success but Rohit and the openers are the big questions, I'm backing them to do ok, although Vijay worries me tbh

smash84

The Tiger King
How can I not? He's a douche but immensely talented as well... And he's more of the arrogant sort of douche who thinks he's awesome rather than the whiny the whole world hates me sort like Watson. :D

In the team I'd rather have a douchebag who cares a lot about his game than a nice guy who doesn't give a ****

And Viv loves him too so haters can gagf :ph34r:
As much as I love Viv the batsman I have difficulty giving him the benefit of doubt in his ravings during the IPL and on Indian cricket in general recently. Comes off as a real "uthau' (lifter), if you know what I mean :p

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Kohli, Rohit and Pujara has the potential to be as good a middle order as any around. Don't believe Vijay has it in him to succeed outside the subcontinent. Interesting days ahead.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
We are gonna learn a lot about these guys in the next year, but it's a very exciting time, Pujara looks like the kind of guy that is prepared to work really hard to correct imperfections, so I'd back him to learn how to play overseas, Kohli has already had some success but Rohit and the openers are the big questions, I'm backing them to do ok, although Vijay worries me tbh
Definitely, and work for his runs out in the middle too. Could be hard to get out as we get further down the track...