• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Discussion

This Indian team winning 2011 World Cup

• Total voters

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The only way India can NOT win the WC is a batting collapse. Virat Kohli will be a better option than both Waterboy and Raina to prevent that, regardless of opponents and playing conditions and form.
DWTA TBH. IMO the only way India can not win the WC is the same way we didn't win the 2003 WC - the bowlers getting it horribly wrong. And the chances of screwing up are greater now since we have a worse bowling lineup than in 2003, and there are 3 knock out games this time around.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
DWTA TBH. IMO the only way India can not win the WC is the same way we didn't win the 2003 WC.
Disagree personally...If you look at India's ODI losses in the last few years, most of them involved a batting collapse somewhere, major or minor...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
DWTA TBH. IMO the only way India can not win the WC is the same way we didn't win the 2003 WC - the bowlers getting it horribly wrong. And the chances of screwing up are greater now since we have a worse bowling lineup than in 2003, and there are 3 knock out games this time around.
I agree with this.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
S.Sreesanth and Ishant Sharma in the ODI side ? No, please no.

1) Sachin Tendulkar
2) Virender Sehwag
3) Gautham Gambhir
4) Yuvraj Singh
5) MS Dhoni
6) Suresh Raina
7) Yousuf Pathan
8) Harbhajan Singh
9) Praveen Kumar
10)Zaheer Khan
11)Ashish Nehra

12) Virat Kohli
13) Dinesh Karthik
14) Ravichandran Ashwin
15) Munaf Patel
Would be my squad too.. But I would probably play Kohli ahead of Yusuf.

Julian87

State Captain
There's plenty of ways India can not win the WC. Coming up against Australia in a knock out game is probably at the top of the list.

Shri

Mr. Glass
There's plenty of ways India can not win the WC. Coming up against Australia in a knock out game is probably at the top of the list.
Not if Clarke plays. The total would then be too small while we are chasing and too big when you are chasing.:p

Shri

Mr. Glass
Oh and I really have doubt in India's ability to win 3 consecutive KO games with that bowling. Would be more comfortable if Bhajji and Ashwin both play in the XI personally.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AWTA. You need your bowling to stand up and win games for you somewhere down the line. Australia's bowlers have basically won them the last 3 semifinals they've played in. Can anyone see India's attack doing the same in a crunch WC knockout game (hint : :laugh:) ?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There are issues in this provisional squad, and more so the squad in South Africa:

Poor fielding: Everyone knows how susceptible Indians are to poor fielding. Their poor fielders are a weakness. Yet we see poor fielders get chance after chance. There's no way any of Nehra, Praveen and Munaf should make the ODI squad, let alone all three of them. They don't add much to the game with their bowling alone, and no more than average fielders like Sreesanth and Ishant, or Vinay Kumar and Pankaj Singh, neither making this squad. This will make it difficult to take 10 wickets often.

Bowling strike rates: Some oft-criticised bowlers, notably Ishant and Sreesanth, have superior strike rates. Ishant keeps it in the low 30's often, while Sreesanth has struck under 30 since his recall. While both (especially Sree, by a wide margin) leak a lot of runs, it makes a difference when the top six is back in the hut early.

Kohli, Yuvraj and Yusuf: There's a query on which of Kohli and Yusuf play, while Yuvraj retains his place. Why not have both Kohli and Yusuf? And why should Yuvraj retain his place? Kohli has been an impressive newcomer, coming close to 50 ODIs, and maintains an impressive record. Yusuf has had a fantastic 2010 with bat and ball, and in the subcontinent, may be a pivotal selection as a #7 who can also bowl ten overs a game. Yuvraj, on the other hand, as Dhoni's preferred all-rounder, has failed with the ball, and more importantly, with bat as well. He's failed on both fronts, and has largely struggled. A stronger, more in-form side would have Kohli at three/four, Yusuf at seven, Yuvraj sitting out and the rest of the batting unchanged.

Spin choices: The emergence of Ashwin and the return of Chawla will be crucial. Chawla's form has largely been patchy, taking five wickets and scoring a century just before the announcement of the provisional squad. As a frontline spinner who can score runs, he can add a lot to the team, but he's not in the best of form. Ashwin has been a very impressive newcomer, taking two wickets a game, which is impressive, though his economy has been a tad high. He hasn't had enough chances to prune his batting ability until now, though a good choice under a strong top six. Harbhajan's strike rate, or excess of it, has been his weakness, and they can leave him out, but there's little assured from Chawla, so Bhajji and Ashwin may play together.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Yousuf Pathan vs Virat Kohli is an interesting one. There is no question that the latter is a far more accomplished bat, but the former arguably brings more balance to the side. Kohli would be a misfit at number six or number seven, and unfortunately for him, the top five spots have been taken.
By whom? FFS Kohli's close to being the most productive ODI batsman for India in the last 12 months. It reflects in the numbers (2nd most number of runs behind Amla in 2010, ranked at #5 in the ICC lists).

For mine: Raina, Yuvraj, Yusuf and even Gambhir can make way for him and at any spot from #3 to #5, and probably in that order.

Only SRT cleanly walks in ahead of him based on reputation, and Sehwag does so because no one dismembers bowlers like him, and the WC being in the subcontinent gives Sehwag more chances to cut loose.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
1) Sachin Tendulkar
2) Virender Sehwag
3) Gautham Gambhir
4) Yuvraj Singh
5) MS Dhoni

That would be my top five; I wouldn't have Virat Kohli over any of them, as good as he is.
I agree,though Dhoni is best as a floater according to the situation and Raina can also come at a higher position.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1) Sachin Tendulkar
2) Virender Sehwag
3) Gautham Gambhir
4) Yuvraj Singh
5) MS Dhoni

That would be my top five; I wouldn't have Virat Kohli over any of them, as good as he is.
I like Yuvraj a little lower down; I'd be inclined to go with:

1 Sehwag
2 Tendulkar
3 Gambhir
4 Kohli
5 Yuvraj
6 Raina
7 Dhoni

I think those who spruik Yusuf do so because they think he can offer balance to the side with his bowling, but I personally don't rate his bowling is any better than Yuvraj's at ODI level. I don't think it'd add as much as Kohli's batting. If you think the team lacks an explosive finisher who can hit from ball one then I can swallow the argument for Yusuf but I don't really think his bowling should play a part.

Blaze 18

Banned

1 Sehwag
2 Tendulkar
3 Gambhir
4 Kohli
5 Yuvraj
6 Raina
7 Dhoni

I think those who spruik Yusuf do so because they think he can offer balance to the side with his bowling, but I personally don't rate his bowling is any better than Yuvraj's at ODI level. I don't think it'd add as much as Kohli's batting. If you think the team lacks an explosive finisher who can hit from ball one then I can swallow the argument for Yusuf but I don't really think his bowling should play a part.
I think Yousuf's Pathan's role in the Indian side is the same as Shahid Afridi's for Pakistan : get a rapid twenty-thirty batting at seven, bowl six-seven overs without conceding too much. While I agree that Pathan's bowling isn't necessarily any better than Yuvraj Singh's, I would still have him for being the explosive finisher that you mention.

centurymaker

International Captain
I think Yousuf's Pathan's role in the Indian side is the same as Shahid Afridi's for Pakistan : get a rapid twenty-thirty batting at seven, bowl six-seven overs without conceding too much. While I agree that Pathan's bowling isn't necessarily any better than Yuvraj Singh's, I would still have him for being the explosive finisher that you mention.
kohli over pathan any day. I personally dont rate him.

centurymaker

International Captain

1 Sehwag
2 Tendulkar
3 Gambhir
4 Kohli
5 Yuvraj
6 Raina
7 Dhoni

+1 billion:laugh: