• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Discussion

This Indian team winning 2011 World Cup

• Total voters

kingkallis

International Coach
Arjun, Gambhir @ No.5 is a total joke. If Gambhir cant bat in top 3 positions, he can sit out. Yuvraj surely will play ahead of Kohli.

Also I'd go with Zaheer, PK and Nehra instead of Zaheer, Ishant and Sree.

Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
Gautam Gambhir
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Suresh Raina / Virat Kohli
Yusuf Pathan
Ravi Ashwin
Praveen Kumar
Zaheer Khan
Ashish Nehra

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
1. Sehwag
2. Tendulkar
3. Gambhir
4. Yuvraj
5. Raina
6. Dhoni
7. Yusuf
8. Praveen
9. Harbhajan
10. Zaheer
11. Nehra

12. Kohli
13. R. Sharma
14. Ashwin
15. I. Sharma

Think that they may need to have an extra quick in the wings. I also think that they can afford to take Yusuf Pathan into the cup. When you look at it, you can see why they persevered with Ravindra Jadeja, as he brings a bit of variety (left arm spin) and seems like a good option at 7; unfortunately his batting wasn't good enough.

Was thinking about selecting a reserve keeper, but I can't see them resting Dhoni throughout the tournament. Although the fact that they've named three more in the squad indicates otherwise.

I think they'll need an extra bowling option of both types within the squad, toss-up between Sree and Instant Karma.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Gambhir
Kohli
Yuvraj
Raina
Dhoni
Harbhajan
Praveen
Zaheer
Nehra

Yusuf
Ashwin
Karthik
Munaf

That's my squad. Would be very tempted to leave out Nehra but he's been good since his recall so it'd be harsh. I'd personally back Munaf to do a better job in a third seamer's role but Nehra deserves his place for now. I was very tempted to include Ojha for Ashwin too, but batting tipped it.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Harbhajan in the X1 would make me more worried tbh. I'd definitely play Ashwin ahead of him, much better LO bowler.

Blaze 18

Banned
S.Sreesanth and Ishant Sharma in the ODI side ? No, please no.

1) Sachin Tendulkar
2) Virender Sehwag
3) Gautham Gambhir
4) Yuvraj Singh
5) MS Dhoni
6) Suresh Raina
7) Yousuf Pathan
8) Harbhajan Singh
9) Praveen Kumar
10)Zaheer Khan
11)Ashish Nehra

12) Virat Kohli
13) Dinesh Karthik
14) Ravichandran Ashwin
15) Munaf Patel

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
S.Sreesanth and Ishant Sharma in the ODI side ? No, please no.

1) Sachin Tendulkar
2) Virender Sehwag
3) Gautham Gambhir
4) Yuvraj Singh
5) MS Dhoni
6) Suresh Raina
7) Yousuf Pathan
8) Harbhajan Singh
9) Praveen Kumar
10)Zaheer Khan
11)Ashish Nehra

12) Virat Kohli
13) Dinesh Karthik
14) Ravichandran Ashwin
15) Munaf Patel

JONO would Riot .:ph34r:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Excluding Kholi over Yusuf, Raina, or even Yuvraj and Ghambir seems bizarre to me. He's been excellent, why leave him out?

I've always considered it vital to have five front-line bowlers. Making do with part-timers isn't enough. If you need your #7 to make a big hundred you've failed. Lower-order batting is barely used, but even if you bowl brilliantly you need that 5th bowler. Dhoni at #7 is a waste.

I really haven't seen much of Yusuf's bowling. Is he an all-rounder or a part-timer? I'd be willing to give hime the benefit of the doubt.

Playing all-rounders at 8-9 is a big part of what got India out of the T20 this year, while playing 5 planned bowlers is a big part of what won it for them in 07.

Tendulkar, Sehwag, Gambhir, Kholi, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Harbhajan, Ashwin, Praveen Kumar, Zaheer, Nehra

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think Yusuf's actually a better bowler than Yuvraj at ODI level. Picking him wouldn't give them five frontline bowlers; that's why Jadeja was persisted with for so long.

Blaze 18

Banned
Yousuf Pathan vs Virat Kohli is an interesting one. There is no question that the latter is a far more accomplished bat, but the former arguably brings more balance to the side. Kohli would be a misfit at number six or number seven, and unfortunately for him, the top five spots have been taken.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Viru
Sach
Gauti
Kohli
Raina/Waterboy (Depending on form)
Captain Cool
Yusuf
Praveen
Bhajji
Zak
Nehra/Ashwin (Depending on pitch)

Blaze 18

Banned
Yuvraj Singh has to play in my opinion. He is India's most destructive batsman in ODIs bar none. As for Suresh Raina - he is a very good finisher (Asia Cup match against Pakistan anyone ?) and he is in fine form. Like I said, it is harsh on Virat Kohli, but it is hard to accommodate him in the first eleven.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The only way India can NOT win the WC is a batting collapse. Virat Kohli will be a better option than both Waterboy and Raina to prevent that, regardless of opponents and playing conditions and form.

Blaze 18

Banned
Nah, I don't think Virat Kohli is a better ODI batsman than Yuvraj Singh; it is not even close. Suresh Raina is a number six-number seven batsman, which means if there is a collapse, it will not be because of him. Anyway, India cannot afford to be thinking along those lines.