• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India WC Thread

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see how Ireland going over either of Pak or WI helps India in the long run? I mean I'd back both Pak and WI to win one over NZ as compared to Ireland who although have been impressive, just don't quite have the players to match a team like NZ. Not saying Pak or WI would win against NZ, but they are more likely to imo.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'd rather we face England/Bangladesh in the QF than Australia/Sri Lanka. Losing top spot in the group is not an option.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd rather we face England/Bangladesh in the QF than Australia/Sri Lanka. Losing top spot in the group is not an option.
Yeah, although after SA's recent loss, India would have to lose to both Ireland AND Zim, after which it would come down to NRR to even come second in the group, so its extremely unlikely we don't finish top.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know about you guys but the prospect of meeting Pakistan again in the knockouts worries me. Really does.
Highly unlikely, unless you're talking finals. QF is a definite no. Semis as well because if we win our QF game, then we play the winner of A3 v B2, and it'll take a few miracles for them to catch up with that South African net run rate assuming they do beat Ireland.

In which case if you are talking about the finals, I'd love to play them in it.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
As defending world champions, we should be thinking about winning the whole thing. To do that we have to beat the best teams at some stage. Stop worrying about who we want to play in quarters guys.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Doesn't winner of B1 vs A4 play the winner of A2 vs B3? If that is the case and the games go as expected we could have India vs winner of Aus vs Pak.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't know about you guys but the prospect of meeting Pakistan again in the knockouts worries me. Really does.
Nah. Pakistan are mentally shot against India in the WC. Just win the toss, bat first, and the game is in the bag for you folks.

smash84

The Tiger King
additionally, over the last decade India have just been much more mentally tough than Pakistan going into tournament finals. It's not so much skill but the mental toughness that matters in big games, which is why Aus are the best in them.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
additionally, over the last decade India have just been much more mentally tough than Pakistan going into tournament finals. It's not so much skill but the mental toughness that matters in big games, which is why Aus are the best in them.
Aus haven't won an ICC event since 2007 ftr.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
People have been going all gaga over Australia, but for me, it really is between New Zealand and South Africa. But I have historically never predicted the world cup winners right. The Australian side isn't weak, but it isn't the strongest I have seen..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As defending world champions, we should be thinking about winning the whole thing. To do that we have to beat the best teams at some stage. Stop worrying about who we want to play in quarters guys.
Nah, I mean the players should be thinking about beating the best, but in reality, any one of four or five teams can easily string together a three team winning streak, and all of those teams can have a bad day and lose. Having an easier path definitely matters. It's much easier to pull out a victory when not at your best against a Bangladesh compared to an Australia. And then you only have to worry about putting together a two game winning streak.