• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Post Mortem Thread

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't something come out saying all the selectors voted to drop Dhoni from the captaincy after the Aus tour but were overruled by Srinivasan?

Teja.

Global Moderator
IMO, Best batting order for the Australia series:

Gambhir
Rahane
Pujara
Rohit/Badrinath
Kohli
Ashwin
Dhoni

Won't happen though.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
isn't saha's batting quite ordinary?
Has improved considerably in the last 2 years.

Isn't too flash, but isn't bad either now.

Uday Kaul doesn't seem that much on the selector's radar right now, so it'll probably be Saha or Naman Ojha who'll replace Dhoni if dropped.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I'm really curious about Fletcher's role in all this - it seemed an odd move for India to select him and there's been nothing in the results to suggest that it was a justified choice. Is his only virtue that he doesn't rub the senior Indian players the wrong way like GC did?

He was certainly of value for most of his England stint (as Atherton's and Hussain's autobios attest) but it seems that the adulation surrounding the 2005 Ashes win went to his head and it's all been downhill since - certainly his record as coach post-05 Ashes in Tests is dreadful.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Leave plenty of juice in wickets for Ranji matches - enable batsmen to learn how to bat in difficult conditions and encourage young fast bowlers to keep bowling fast.
I read an article that said the greentops produced in Ranji were responsible for some of those ridiculously good averages for mediocre medium pacers. It's not exactly encouraging fast bowling, just rewarding guys who can move the ball a bit and bowl accurately in the right conditions.

It's not all as easy as it sounds imo, but they should definitely start with the points system, then slowly move up to the pitches and eventually the number of teams.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But pitches in England don't exactly encourage fast bowling either. There's a reason that Broad and Anderson generally operate in the 81-83mph range when they're bowling at home.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also, I really don't understand the point of calling for Fletcher's head when he's had 18 months trying to stoke the embers of a dying fire.

The time to call for Fletcher's head is after 18 months-2 years of him having his own players to work with and install the values he holds. Dropping Zaheer was the first step towards sorting out the poor team culture in the Indian dressing room.

Daemon

But pitches in England don't exactly encourage fast bowling either. There's a reason that Broad and Anderson generally operate in the 81-83mph range when they're bowling at home.
That's irrelevant, I'm just pointing out that the pitches don't have as big a role to play in India producing fast bowlers as is usually made out to be.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Indian cricket will never recover with comments like this:

"It has been tough," Dhoni said after the draw in Nagpur that gave the series to England, "But there are not many things that will come close to when we lost the 2007 50-over World Cup. This is not even close to that."

We're doomed. Pack it in fellas, there is no overcoming a culture where losing to Bangladesh and Lanka in an ODI is worse than losing 0-4, 0-4 and 1-2 at home in test cricket.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It's WC >>>>>>>>>>Test Cricket >>>>>>> Other ODI's.

And the fan reaction was crazy after that world cup. 2 players had their homes attacked, were calls for BCCI to be taken over and reformed by the government and many effigies that were burnt.

Think Silentstriker, summed this up well in terms of how this isn't him trying to paper over the cracks.

World cup is the pinnacle for most general cricket fans all over the world and if you ask me, whether i'd take the WC win or a 4-0 in England after that, i would have taken the World cup any day. People were celebrating on the streets crazily in the middle of the night. Was just brilliant.

Hell, even for the T20 WC win see the reception the team got in Mumbai during the parade. Kapil Dev was dancing on TV.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

The BCCI or Dhoni hasn't given a **** about Tests for years, why would anyone expect them to be really hurt over something as trivial as a home Test series loss?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
@Cevno

Yes but that was a period of poor performances for what, 2 weeks. This is a period of 18 months.

I understand the importance of the WC, but bull**** saying that this isn't even close to as bad.

Point still stands. That attitude will result in India never being #1 in test cricket again. Period.

They aren't going to **** out another Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman combo with a Zaheer and Sehwag in form.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah agree with jono.

0-4, 0-4, 1-2 (at home) is much worse than an early exit from a WC when seen as a whole.

obviously I too would've taken a WC win over a 4-0 win in ENG.
But it's now 3 massive series defeats ffs.

his attitude has been disgraceful.

test cricket is dying there for sure. not many, including current players, seem to give a ****