• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India, Australia, England attempt to take control of Cricket

YorksLanka

International Debutant
cant believe that the WICB have sold out their countries and more importantly their fans by selling their souls for $$$'s..what a shame for the West Indian greats of the70's& 80's and all their world conquering efforts...i am really disappointed in them..

YorksLanka

International Debutant
They've shown some balls of late in general, telling several players they weren't allowed to play IPL/BBL for various reasons, and then scheduling a tour of Ireland of all things during the next IPL.

give it time !! but hopefully they will show some backbone and think of thir fans and their country first rather than lining their own pockets..if they do agree i will be thoroughly disgusted and see this as a betrayal of my country...

smash84

The Tiger King
It was really disgusting the other day when one of the most popular local TV stations called up 3 people to ask their opinion of the big 3 people

They called up

Shoaib Akhtar
Lalit Modi
Ramiz Raja

Shoaib said that the PCB needs to carefully evaluate the implications of this before jumping onto the bandwagon
Lalit Modi was totally against this proposal
Ramiz was the worst though. He said that PCB should jump onto this because they might be able to earn more cash and will get additional series as a reward if they jump in.

Fusion

Global Moderator
And then there were three; BCB caves

The four dissenters were crucial in ensuring no vote took place but it emerged on Wednesday night that the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) may have broken rank and agreed to the specific changes.At least three officials from within the “Big Three” group of Cricket Australia (CA), the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), as well as the four in opposition, confirmed to The National that the BCB are on board with the changes: whether they have signed off on specific resolutions – as six other boards are believed to have – or just the principles laid out on Tuesday is unclear.

I think it's inevitable that in the end CSA will be the last board objecting. All the rest will sell out.

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
Can't the other boards just do to the IPL what BCCI did to the ICL?
Nope, there just isnt enough money going around in cricket. The main source of income of these boards are TV rights which also depend on the series with the bigger boards.

Plus the 3 also hold key to all the lucrative non international opportunities like IPL, BBL and County cricket. BCCI alone could be isolated but not BCCI, ECB and CA.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Frankly I find it pretty galling that Dave Richardson was instrumental in effectively consigning the country he played for to permanent lower tier status.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Frankly I find it pretty galling that Dave Richardson was instrumental in effectively consigning the country he played for to permanent lower tier status.
Isnt the two-tier proposal already dropped? or do you mean in the lower tier as in the ICC power structure

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's time some other boards stood up and called BCCI's bluff, imo.

And this might be the best time to do it even with Indian general elections nearing. These politicos and crony businessmen have much more riding there.

There's no way that Indian public will settle for not having the Indian team at World Cups. Extended IPL will also have rate of diminishing returns.
How exactly are other boards meant to call the BCCI's bluff?

The WICB and SLC cancelled a Test series to play a tri-series with India because it was more lucrative for them.

It might be unsavoury, it might be economic blackmail but there's really not a lot the other boards can do.

cricketrulez

Cricket Spectator
The issue isn't Indian non-participation at the 2015 WC. With just a year to go, that's probably an inked deal and the BCCI would most definitely not be in a position to renege on that. It's BCCI participation in ICC events that haven't had broadcast deals signed yet by the ICC that's at stake here. Once you have a broadcast deal signed that has ironclad guarantees on the participation by the individual boards (presuming the ICC and the broadcast companies aren't stupid enough to not have those in place), you'd be sued by all and sundry if you then back out. The Indian public isn't all that enamoured by the Champions Trophy, and so that makes the 2019 WC the big target.
I don't think BCCI has signed the participation agreement for 2015 WC.

cricketrulez

Cricket Spectator
cant believe that the WICB have sold out their countries and more importantly their fans by selling their souls for $$$'s..what a shame for the West Indian greats of the70's& 80's and all their world conquering efforts...i am really disappointed in them..
didn't lanka do the same thing a few years ago?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Other than the finances and whatnot I actually think the BCCI loses a bit of influence through this. In the past the BCCI could basically buy/blackmail the required votes from the other members if they didn't like something and the ECB and CA were powerless to do anything about it. The new set-up puts the three on an even keel. The BCCI would find it harder to stop anything eminently sensible - such as technology - from going through.