• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In terms of aesthetics, what is the finest test innings you have seen?

subshakerz

International Coach
For sheer beauty, I haven't seen a better innings than Lara's 277 in Sydney. He didn't hit a six but the sheer crispness of the strokes and the timing of the shots reaching the boundary on a damp outfield was a sight to behold.

Other contenders for mere for sheer exhilarating innovative strokeplay were KP's 149 and Stoke's 135. But interested to hear other opinions as this is purely a subjective matter.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lara's third and final hundred in the '99 series. Really flies under the radar. The only blight is he nearly got caught on the shot that took him from 99 to 100 with a dinky shot, but everything leading up to that was flawless

Killed Adam Dale's test career in the blink of an eye

mr_mister

Oh, and also Slater's 123 out of 180 odd. He looked so great to the eye when on. Great footwork and bat speed

subshakerz

International Coach
Lara's third and final hundred in the '99 series. Really flies under the radar. The only blight is he nearly got caught on the shot that took him from 99 to 100 with a dinky shot, but everything leading up to that was flawless

Killed Adam Dale's test career in the blink of an eye
That was more brutal than aesthetic by Lara's standards. A lot of savage pulls in that knock. I think his 213 was a far prettier innings.

mr_mister

That was more brutal than aesthetic by Lara's standards. A lot of savage pulls in that knock. I think his 213 was a far prettier innings.
I remember it being lots of drives too. Also, pulls aren't necessarily not aesthetic right? They look pretty awesome to me

subshakerz

International Coach
I remember it being lots of drives too. Also, pulls aren't necessarily not aesthetic right? They look pretty awesome to me
True. I think in batting terms, the more aesthetic it is, the more effortless it tends to look. And I recall Lara pounding the bowling in that knock.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ian Bell made 70 odd in Adelaide in 13/14 iirc against Johnson & Harris which was classy AF while everything fell apart around him. Was a top knock to watch.

Also, Mark Waugh's hundred on dayboo, or indeed any real innings of substance played by him.

Gower's double hundred in the 85 Ashes was awesome to watch too, even though the attack was cod ordinary.

cnerd123

likes this
We've been speaking about Kohli a lot, and this innings of his is burned in my memory. Incredible given the context too - India needed to win in like 40 overs to make the final and Virat killed it off way before that by slaughtering Malinga

Shame he'll never do this again huh.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He did well in that particular pressure station, just not on the biggest stage of all. sad.