• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imagine If.....

slugger

State Vice-Captain
This, in fact, was the case at one point in cricket. There used to be bowlers who would try to lob the ball over the batsman's head and onto the stumps.
bracewell got out this way... he ducked and the ball drop ono the stumps.. it use to be in the minties ads..

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
So did Chris Read, I think it was Chris Cairns who bowled it. At the time of release, the ball was outside the sight screen, so Read thought it was beamer or something.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Nothing would be more terrifying than losing sight of a cricket ball from a bowler of Chris Cairns pace. Chris Read did look foolish when he was bowled, but for a split second he must have seen his life flash before his eyes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So did Chris Read, I think it was Chris Cairns who bowled it. At the time of release, the ball was outside the sight screen, so Read thought it was beamer or something.
It's happened to several batsmen down the years. Whether it's entirely fair for a bowler to deliberately try to deceive a batsman into thinking a ball is a Beamer when it isn't is a moot question, but there's obviously no way to outlaw it, and it's a delivery that takes incredible skill to bowl.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Imagine if a Test match was played at a different ground each day to get bigger crowds.
Day 1: Gabba, Day 2: SCG Day 3: MCG Day 4: Adelaide Oval Day 5: WACA

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Imagine if a Test match was played at a different ground each day to get bigger crowds.
Day 1: Gabba, Day 2: SCG Day 3: MCG Day 4: Adelaide Oval Day 5: WACA
Thre massive logistics needed to make it happen would either kill tst cricket or turn it into a cash cow for DHL.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
'One hand, one bounce' would be interesting. Spinners would get tons of wickets.

Regarding Goughy's point about home Test teams having to draw their players from within 100 miles of the ground, Bangladesh would fly up the world rankings.
I think they'd still struggle to beat the top teams with good state/city comps in place. There are plenty of cricketers in Australia playing in the State teams and Metropolitan comps who live within 100 miles of each ground used for tests. I'd say the only team not able to beat Bangladesh would be from Darwin (as someone said earlier).

Julian87

State Captain
I actually reckon some of these crazy rules would make the IPL more interesting.

Something along the lines of "the bowling captain can choose one player from the opposition to bat without the use of pads."

Or if they are too scared of that...opposite hand. And then the batting captain can choose one player to bowl an over with their opposite bowling hand.

Redbacks

International Captain
How about if a bowler bowls a front foot no-ball the batsman gets to face the next delivery but cannot be dismissed unless there is a run out. Sounds fair as usually the batter doesn't hear the call from the umpire.

I would call it 'the free hit'? :cool:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think that batting average should be determined by subtracting any runs scored after a dropped catch, a not given lbw etc

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think that batting average should be determined by subtracting any runs scored after a dropped catch, a not given lbw etc
This.

And no bowler should get credit if hawkeye shows the successful lb shout was missing, or if in fact there was no edge in that caught behind.

I've decided to patent the idea and call it the "First Chance Average".

What do you all think about it?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's happened to several batsmen down the years. Whether it's entirely fair for a bowler to deliberately try to deceive a batsman into thinking a ball is a Beamer when it isn't is a moot question, but there's obviously no way to outlaw it, and it's a delivery that takes incredible skill to bowl.
:laugh:

Holding out for the ICC verdict to make Mendis tell the batsman which way each ball's going, Richard?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This.

And no bowler should get credit if hawkeye shows the successful lb shout was missing, or if in fact there was no edge in that caught behind.

I've decided to patent the idea and call it the "First Chance Average".

What do you all think about it?
Don't you patent my idea, you **** :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:

Holding out for the ICC verdict to make Mendis tell the batsman which way each ball's going, Richard?
Umm... no. You are aware that spinning the ball is considered legal and fair and that bowling a head-high Full-Toss is considered unfair, illegal and dangerous?

Of course you are.

Langeveldt

Soutie
How about we do away with the bounday rope, and just paint a white line, if the ball goes over the line it is a 4, if it doesn't then it isn't a four.. It would do away with having to wait every time a fielder fields somthing near the rope to see if his anal hair has touched the rope or not..

nah that would be waay to radical

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How about we do away with the bounday rope, and just paint a white line, if the ball goes over the line it is a 4, if it doesn't then it isn't a four.. It would do away with having to wait every time a fielder fields somthing near the rope to see if his anal hair has touched the rope or not..

nah that would be waay to radical
Struggling to see how this changes anything.

Unless you're suggesting that if a fielder has part of his body over the line whilst fielding the ball, but the ball hasn't crossed the line, then it's not a 4.