• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Chappell is one annoying old bugger

smash84

The Tiger King
I think he dislikes Pakistan. Otherwise he is not bad.
He used to like Pakistan a lot but I think the recent spot fixing saga has really turned him off. I don't blame him for that but at least while commentating he should try and be a little neutral.

cricpk

U19 12th Man
He used to like Pakistan a lot but I think the recent spot fixing saga has really turned him off. I don't blame him for that but at least while commentating he should try and be a little neutral.
Rite
Can't say much when our guys were on wrong side.
But If those three weren't involved in spot fixing, i would have been shouting here :P

Howe_zat

Audio File

Of course, Chappell hates Flintoff too...

Oh, wait, apart from when he said he should come out of retirement to play in the Ashes.

Silly bugger.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's pretty obvious that he thinks Afridi is a loon who basically has no place on an international cricket field as well, tbh.

salman85

International Debutant
Sour grapes, Ian?

Afridi's celebration is going to piss off the opposition though.But being a Pakistani,there's obviously not a greater sight in cricket :D

Howe_zat

Audio File
I can't really begin to have a problem with Afridi's celebration, and even if it were against my team I couldn't see it as arrogant at all. He's stood there with his arms and legs spread out and a massive dopey grin on his face because he's just too honestly chuffed with himself to hide it. It's like he's posing to make sure his mum can see him, like a 6-year old who's just successfully jumped off a climbing frame. It's 100% sincerity and enthusiasm, I love it.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't really begin to have a problem with Afridi's celebration, and even if it were against my team I couldn't see it as arrogant at all. He's stood there with his arms and legs spread out and a massive dopey grin on his face because he's just too honestly chuffed with himself to hide it. It's like he's posing to make sure his mum can see him, like a 6-year old who's just successfully jumped off a climbing frame. It's 100% sincerity and enthusiasm, I love it.
AWTA. One of the best celebrations going around.

angad

U19 12th Man
^ he looks like opium and naswar (chewable tobacco) addict truck driver. :laugh: Clean shaven Afridi was cool.

To be fair, Had the Afridi cost Pakistan the match, people would have said the exact opposite. The commentator can't please everyone. What would people have said had Razzak failed to finish game after Afridi's brain fart? :)

smash84

The Tiger King
^ he looks like opium and naswar (chewable tobacco) addict truck driver. :laugh: Clean shaven Afridi was cool.

To be fair, Had the Afridi cost Pakistan the match, people would have said the exact opposite. The commentator can't please everyone. What would people have said had Razzak failed to finish game after Afridi's brain fart? :)
it is quite ridiculous to suggest that people would have been vilifying afridi's celebration style after an irresponsible display of batting.

Quite silly really

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Really doesn't sound out of character at all for Chappelli, and I don't think he's neccessarily biased against Pakistan. He's regularly very critical of tactics (and he's usually a fantastic analyst there), but he's also the kind of overly nostalgic guy that thinks everything should be done the way it was in his heyday. He's the grandfather who tells his grandchildren that such shenanigans would not have been stood for in his time. From that angle it's easy to see why OTT celebrations (or celebrations that he sees as OTT anyway) and team huddles at half-time (new age rubbish) would be things that infuriate him.

He also doesn't his filter his thoughts (which many of us find endearing in this day and age of wooden commentary) and probably doesn't like Afridi (who is a polarising figure to a neutral). Easy to see why cricket fans who don't listen to him every summer might mistake it for anti-Pakistan bias. He's annoying sometimes, but he also sometimes gets you through the channel 9 soaked summer of Healy/Slats dribbling and Nicholas climaxing that makes watching cricket in our country slightly more difficult than it should be.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Really doesn't sound out of character at all for Chappelli, and I don't think he's neccessarily biased against Pakistan. He's regularly very critical of tactics (and he's usually a fantastic analyst there), but he's also the kind of overly nostalgic guy that thinks everything should be done the way it was in his heyday. He's the grandfather who tells his grandchildren that such shenanigans would not have been stood for in his time.
While Chappelli is a great commentator, He seems to be very selective in his criticism.

Case in point the Underarm incident :- From what I remember, Chappelli lost his voice when his brothers were involved in Underarm. He was commentating at that time but when his brothers engaged in the disgraceful moment, he kept mum (contrary to what we are told) , Ritchie OTOH let his feelings known during the same telecast.

YouTube - Underarm Incident

And that's why Ritchie is so liked and admired all over the world and Chappelli isn't. There are other incidents as well where Chappelli chose to remain silent, for example :-

I like Chappelli but he isn't always objective in his criticism and in this case he is way off mark and no I am not an Afridi fan.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Come on, Chappelli wouldn't rip his own flesh and blood a new arsehole live on national TV.

Spark

Global Moderator
While Chappelli is a great commentator, He seems to be very selective in his criticism.

Case in point the Underarm incident :- From what I remember, Chappelli lost his voice when his brothers were involved in Underarm. He was commentating at that time but when his brothers engaged in the disgraceful moment, he kept mum (contrary to what we are told) , Ritchie OTOH let his feelings known during the same telecast.

YouTube - Underarm Incident

And that's why Ritchie is so liked and admired all over the world and Chappelli isn't. There are other incidents as well where Chappelli chose to remain silent, for example :-

I like Chappelli but he isn't always objective in his criticism and in this case he is way off mark and no I am not an Afridi fan.
Yeah but when family ties are involved you expect a few double standards. It's just natural.