• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Chappell is one annoying old bugger

Days of Grace

International Captain
Nothing wrong with Afridi's celebration, IMO. Let your freak-flag fly. This ain't 1955 where you got a handshake if you just bowled the ball of the century.

I don't think you can call Chappelli bias. He went on about Ponting's captaincy last night and called the Australian over-rate "disastrous/abysmal".

In general, he is a grumpy old sod who has good analysis but sometimes he is grumpier than usual.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah he's just a grumpy, opinionated old man. Usually good value, but sometimes his opinion can be... strange.

Somerset Chops

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I can see where hes coming from regarding the Afridi celebration , i dont necessarly agree with him but see what he means.

It was the 9th wicket and his first and it was'nt a brilliant ball either where as if he was tearing through the aussie line up or just got Ponting or Hussey out with a ripper then then 'Look at me im amazing' celebration would probably more apt.

I think thats why Chap was moaning about it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I can see where hes coming from regarding the Afridi celebration , i dont necessarly agree with him but see what he means.

It was the 9th wicket and his first and it was'nt a brilliant ball either where as if he was tearing through the aussie line up or just got Ponting or Hussey out with a ripper then then 'Look at me im amazing' celebration would probably more apt.

I think thats why Chap was moaning about it.
Indeed and I have heard state the same about Brett Lee's celebrations at times....

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ian was a big Pakistan supporter during the 90's and uptill mid 00's I think all the recent happenings with Pakistan has hurt him however that does not give him the right to be a tool with a mic in hand.

Bun

Banned
What is wrong with this dude???? I mean his analysis are quality sometimes but did anyone notice him during the Australian innings today against Pakistan. He had totally written Pakistan off at the start of the tournament, thats all fair and good, but today he couldnt stop criticising Afridi when Australia started struggling miserably. He had a problem with Afridis celebration, then he had a problem with Pakistani team huddle at the end of the innings. He just came out so obviously irritated. It wasnt just what he said, it was the tone too, if any of you aussies are related to him, tell him to take his anger out on his girlfreind, the commentary box isnt the place.
I like him really. He is insightful and quite a learned fellow. But somehow he transforms (like Sunny Gavaskar at seeing Sachin) into a schoolboy fan at the sight of Ponting. Also I think he dislikes the Pakistani team (many of us do, especially after the way the game has been brought to disrepute by some of them, so not entirely unwarranted). But his stint in the commentary was quite bad yesterday, all his cards went wrong for him I think.

Also he has been uncharacterestically inconsistent in his views on Ponting over the last few years.

Chappell: 'Ponting is still the best captain for Australia' | Match Analysis | Cricinfo Talk | ESPN Cricinfo

Ian Chappell: Ponting's captaincy hurting Australia | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Ian Chappell: Look, now you've angered Ricky | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Bun

Banned
For the benefit of those of us who missed it, was Afridi's celebration any different from his 'hands in the air, everyone acknowledge how amazing I am' celebration?
It was the same, but no different in spirit from Flintoff's Captain Marvel chest-spout or Lee's "I know he's out lbw... wait.. forgot something.. ha the appeal"...

Spark

Global Moderator
I like him really. He is insightful and quite a learned fellow. But somehow he transforms (like Sunny Gavaskar at seeing Sachin) into a schoolboy fan at the sight of Ponting. Also I think he dislikes the Pakistani team (many of us do, especially after the way the game has been brought to disrepute by some of them, so not entirely unwarranted). But his stint in the commentary was quite bad yesterday, all his cards went wrong for him I think.

Also he has been uncharacterestically inconsistent in his views on Ponting over the last few years.

Chappell: 'Ponting is still the best captain for Australia' | Match Analysis | Cricinfo Talk | ESPN Cricinfo

Ian Chappell: Ponting's captaincy hurting Australia | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Ian Chappell: Look, now you've angered Ricky | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo
Nah, not really. It's been consistent in that he rates him as a leader and probably overrates him as a batsman (and still does, even yesterday he was going on about how unlucky he was) and doesn't rate his tactics very highly at all.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
It was the same, but no different in spirit from Flintoff's Captain Marvel chest-spout or Lee's "I know he's out lbw... wait.. forgot something.. ha the appeal"...
Yeah, I can put up with OTT wicket celebrations but I hate when bowlers assume an lbw is out without bothering to appeal. Jason Gillespie took this to the opposite extreme, used to look to the umpire even if middle stump was out of the ground.

smash84

The Tiger King
'Ponting's captaincy was disappointing' | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio at ESPN Cricinfo

When asked about Pakistan he again lays into Afridi. Quite poor form I should say. Still talking about Afridi's celebration style after Pakistan have lost the match. WTF is wrong with a team huddle????

I really like a lot of Ian's analysis but come on get a life man.

And I think I would agree that he has really started disliking Pakistan because of all the recent scandals but at least he should try and remain in his senses in the commentary box,

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, I can put up with OTT wicket celebrations but I hate when bowlers assume an lbw is out without bothering to appeal. Jason Gillespie took this to the opposite extreme, used to look to the umpire even if middle stump was out of the ground.
Dizzy WAG

Stapel

International Regular
But when you are commentating, you are supposed to act like a professional and not let your personal feelings cloud your commentary. :@
Not so sure. Many people, including me, do like commentary with a strong personal bite.

Yet, this was clearly crossing the line.

cricpk

U19 12th Man
Well i also like him but what was really funny that he said Ponting wants to punish Pakistan for sydney test. That was not what Ponting said, it was what Ian Chappel wanted. And i was sure that Ponting wasn't going to trouble Pakistani bowling line up on that pitch.
I think he dislikes Pakistan. Otherwise he is not bad.