• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Huge talents who have missed the boat

krkode

State Captain
Karim had more more (34 is a fair number) ODIs to prove his worth, and really never looked extra ordinary as his FC avg suggests. Maybe he could have been a better player in test matches. But his OD records were mediocre. With Dharmani, he had such a fantastic OD and FC record, and bizzarely played just one ODI.
I don't know the circumstances under which he played his ODI games, but it's probably very likely they had him bat at #7 and expected him to perform like a 50-FC-avg batsman, which is probably pretty tough. Then again, I'm just guessing, cuz at the time of his playing India had a fairly solid ODI batting lineup of Tendulkar/Ganguly/Dravid/Azhar/Jadeja and other miscellaneous players... I would tend to agree with you that he might have done better in tests.

Looks like, however, by the time Mongia was finished, Karim was too - his FC career ended about the same time as his test/ODI career. I wonder if it was due to the injury sustained while keeping to Kumble...:huh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There's a whole generation of SA players who missed out on longer test careers or, indeed, test careers at all because of the Apartheid-era exclusion.

Barry Richards
Mike Procter
Clive Rice
Vince van der Bijl

krkode

State Captain
Hemang Badani- Decent ODI batsmen, Great fielder, Can bowl slow left arm
Sadagoppan Ramesh
Abey Kuruvilla
Speaking of Indian talents, how about Ajay Sharma...

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/33943.html

FC average of 66... One thing that is odd, though, perhaps someone can illuminate. He has played 130 games but only 168 innings.

Needless to say, he was one of the people implicated in the match-fixing controversy but that didn't happen until he was 36 so he still missed out on a possibly fruitful Indian career.

kingkallis

International Coach
There's a whole generation of SA players who missed out on longer test careers or, indeed, test careers at all because of the Apartheid-era exclusion.

Barry Richards
Mike Procter
Clive Rice
Vince van der Bijl
Add great Greame Pollock!

subshakerz

International Coach
Mohammad Zahid from Pakistan comes to mind. Took 11 wickets on debut, then went and impressed in Australia. He actually beat Lara five times in a row out of sheer pace and took his wicket off the last ball of the over. Lara described him at that point as the fastest he ever saw. Here's what Carl Hooper had to say about him:

"The first time I really felt that I had to watch a guy was against Mohammad Zahid at the Gabba in a Benson & Hedges game. It was probably the fastest spell I faced. I was in good form but the ball was just a blur. He was looking for wickets and and he had me thinking that if he got it on target, there was a very good chance of getting hit."

But then he got a back injury. How typical of Pakistan cricket...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mohammad Zahid from Pakistan comes to mind. Took 11 wickets on debut, then went and impressed in Australia. He actually beat Lara five times in a row out of sheer pace and took his wicket off the last ball of the over. Lara described him at that point as the fastest he ever saw. Here's what Carl Hooper had to say about him:

"The first time I really felt that I had to watch a guy was against Mohammad Zahid at the Gabba in a Benson & Hedges game. It was probably the fastest spell I faced. I was in good form but the ball was just a blur. He was looking for wickets and and he had me thinking that if he got it on target, there was a very good chance of getting hit."

Yeah the Mohammad Zahid case has interested me for a little while now.

I've always wished there'd been reliable speedguns in that series. You do just wonder whether we might've had Tyson\Thomson-esque pace, just as briefly as those two.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah I was watching that Brisbane game at the time. The raw speed from Zahid was phenomenal. He definitely had Hooper on the hop. Hard to say, of course, but he didn't look any quicker than Akhtar, though.

Forgot one name, Jamie Siddons. Getting sick in Pakistan then spooked by pace bowling after having his jaw broken by Merv Hughes put paid to Test aspirations but when going well, was just special to watch.