• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good was Sehwag?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Burgey who was a better leader and human being, Border or Tendulkar?

Was India robbed of a victory in Sydney '08?

Burgey

Call him Sachin please, Daemon. As I have long said, such is the universal love for the man, you need to use his first name. Like Madonna.

To answer your first question, Border. Sachin's own selectors replaced him as captain, whereas Border was a rock. Sachin is a lovely bloke, as I've long said from having spent a lot of time with him in Mumbai in the 90s, but wasn't a skipper.

As to the second question - no, but they were probably robbed of a draw.

subshakerz

International Coach
Sehwag was the greatest flat track bully of all-time, which is not a knock on him, since in conditions that are favorable to him, he was capable of conquering any bowler, pace or spin.

In fact, in terms of batting in the sub-continent, he is the greatest batsman of all-time, better than Sachin, better than Kohli, better than Lara, better than Richards, better than Dravid, since not only does he score more but he scores quicker and that too while opening.

The problem is that in conditions in which there is lateral movement, he is completely inept, hence his poor record in England, New Zealand and South Africa.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
now if you really want to win over the subcontinent vote you have to go to the muralitharan big spin thread and rubbish warnie’s record in india despite all the qualitative evidence excusing him to a certain degree and despite his excellent record in sri lanka to boot tbh

Burgey

I’ve never apologised for Warne’s record in India tbh. It’s woeful.

And this is an actual serious post btw

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I think there are a good number of Indians who love Sehwag more than Tendulkar when you take their whole careers into account. I am certainly one of them.

With Viru in the crease, the possibilities were endless. You could be looking at a century before lunch or hundred in a session.

An ATG mauler of spin. In my wildest dream, I would be watching Sehwag and Lara batting against Murali and Warne.

On a side note, Sehwag was poor in places like NZ, SA and England but certainly had a game to succeed there as he showed when he started off in 2001-02.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ideally teams would have more flexibility and, in England-SA-NZ, India would have had Dravid opening, Tendulkar would have been told to man up and bat 3, and Sehwag would have been at 4/5.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He made the game more fun to watch when he was batting. And was still a very good batsman. That's pretty good in my book.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
A batting average of 49.34 would warrant a description of 'very good'. His average against Australia (41.39) is 'good' but in his 17 Tests against England his average (29.32) is 'ordinary'.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
saw him live three times in england, looked forward to each one and he got btfo every time which annoyed me a lot.

deffo a second tier atg opener tho.

top tier being hobbs, hutton, sutcliffe and gavaskar.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Sehwag brought a new dimension to the table - an opener who goes on the attack, and for lengthy periods. You can look at a cricketer from a statistical or performance perspective. But if you look at them from their contribution to the game, Sehwag stands out from amongst other openers.