• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good was Gilchrist?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It should always remember that he kept to Warne and MacGill. Probably the most difficult task a keeper has had since covered pitches. And he did it very very well.

To the quicks he was athletic and moved really well.

He was a gun keeper. His keeping is underrated because of his batting I think.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Nayan Mongia might have something to say about that. Keeping to Kumble and co. on the doctored Indian pitches of the 90s must have been no mean feat. Many were the times we saw him standing up and collecting deliveries rising to greet his face.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He was a gun keeper. His keeping is underrated because of his batting I think.
Yeah, that's it in a nutshell.

It does seem outrageously unfair that he was so lavishly gifted but he was a proper keeper as well as being an amazing counterpunching bat too.

Someone on here once said Haddin was closer to Gilly as a batsman than as a keeper and remember thinking, yup, spot on, I'll steal that line. And now I have.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He was a good keeper.
****ing unbelievable batsman. He and Shewag were the only ones that could replicate Viv's modus operandi, and became succesful.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Not as good as Jayawardene.

/Migara
Keeping definitely PJ was best in the business in his era of keeping. There is not even a question. SC FC ciecuit had much better keepers than ones who appeared in test matches, but their poor peformances with bat kept them away. We kept fielding Kaluwitharana for ages when he was missing stumpings right left and center, because of his batting.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Keeping to disciplined fast / spin bowlers is always easy than to wild ones. West Indian and Pakistani keepers tend to get under appreciated for their efforts. In addition Pakistani ones deal with mystery spinners too. (No, no, not Akmal).

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We kept fielding Kaluwitharana for ages when he was missing stumpings right left and center, because of his batting.
The alternatives must have been truly dire batsmen if Kaluwitharana was playing Tests because of his batting

Red

Nayan Mongia might have something to say about that. Keeping to Kumble and co. on the doctored Indian pitches of the 90s must have been no mean feat. Many were the times we saw him standing up and collecting deliveries rising to greet his face.
Fair bit easier to keep to toppies who pitch on off/middle than big turning leggies who pitch outside leg and spin it across the batsman. You lose sight of the ball completely with the latter.

TheJediBrah

Both are different challenges. Keeping up in the subcontinent with spin from both ends all day would be hella draining. At least Gilchrist would have had a break with a quick from the other end. But yes I can't even imagine how ****ed it would be keeping to Warne bowling into the rough on day 4 or 5, far beyond anything I've ever experienced.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The alternatives must have been truly dire batsmen if Kaluwitharana was playing Tests because of his batting
Exactly. Kaluwitharana was dire most of the time. Once ina while put up his hand and played a winning knock. Tillekaratne should have never been allowed to give up gloves in 92-93 season.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair bit easier to keep to toppies who pitch on off/middle than big turning leggies who pitch outside leg and spin it across the batsman. You lose sight of the ball completely with the latter.
The general consensus is that topspinners are difficult to keep, because they dip, gain pace, bounce and don't change the course in relation to line of vision. Hence it gives milliseconds of less time for a keeper to collect it than a big spinning delivery.

flibbertyjibber

Gilchrist was a good keeper and it gets forgotten how good he actually was as people go on about his batting all the time. When a great keeper like Healy retires it says a lot about the guy replacing him that you hardly noticed and in fact because of the batting he was replaced with a better all round package. Wasn't as good a keeper obviously but it wasn't like replacing Russell with Stewart like we did even though Stewart was a solid keeper in the end.

Red

The general consensus is that topspinners are difficult to keep, because they dip, gain pace, bounce and don't change the course in relation to line of vision. Hence it gives milliseconds of less time for a keeper to collect it than a big spinning delivery.
Nah I reckon the general consensus is it’s easier to catch a ball you can see thru its whole trajectory than it is to catch one you lose sight of behind a batsman milliseconds before you have to judge where it’ll reappear and how much it might’ve turned and if it’s deflected off batsman or bat

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Or Kiran More.

Mongia keeping to Kumble 100 -110 kph deliveries and bouncing crazy off the pitches was a delight to watch.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Gilly was exceptionally athletic vs pace bowlers , took some rippers. And I don't recollect him dropping many off sounners as well. Would be up with the best keepers of all time

TheJediBrah

Gilly was exceptionally athletic vs pace bowlers , took some rippers. And I don't recollect him dropping many off sounners as well. Would be up with the best keepers of all time
This is what I remember most about him. I reckon he would have taken some huge diving catches that even some of the best keepers in history wouldn't have even got close to, with his wingspan.