• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good was Gilchrist?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Bring in some obscuranto guy who has little to no video coverage and compare with a guy who has probably had every ball in his International career watched and recorded and dissected.

Yeah, I am not making any sense to myself indulging in this stupid debate.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bring in some obscuranto guy who has little to no video coverage and compare with a guy who has probably had every ball in his International career watched and recorded and dissected.

Yeah, I am not making any sense to myself indulging in this stupid debate.
You're the one that started this whole thing lol. You literally said "best stumper EVER" then proceeded to disqualify anyone that you hadn't personally seen.
Now 1 or 2 people respond to your comment and you jump straight to "i am not indulging in this stupid debate". All the stupidity in this thread is coming from 1 person.

Flem274*

123/5
You're the one that started this whole thing lol. You literally said "best stumper EVER" then proceeded to disqualify anyone that you hadn't personally seen.
Now 1 or 2 people respond to your comment and you jump straight to "i am not indulging in this stupid debate". All the stupidity in this thread is coming from 1 person.
dont engage with fascists mate, he's beneath you

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Have no idea why everyone is so worked up here & taking "best stumper ever" so literally. Why not just agree to discuss best stumpers from the past 50 years & take it from there?

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Don Bradman is the best batsman ever.

No stupid, it is Subrahmanyam Venkatesh of Tuticorin Tornadoes. How stupid are you to even bring in this comparison. I mean have you even watched everyone who has picked up a bat and walked on this earth ?

TheJediBrah

Don Bradman is the best batsman ever.

No stupid, it is Subrahmanyam Venkatesh of Tuticorin Tornadoes. How stupid are you to even bring in this comparison. I mean have you even watched everyone who has picked up a bat and walked on this earth ?
This is the 3rd or 4th time in this thread you've responded to me with something that has nothing to do with what I said

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@Senile Sentry come on man... You said MSD was the greatest ever at stumpings and someone else brought up a guy who has a better %age or number of stumpings. Granted, most of us CWers would not have seen this player in question but then again, when we have not seen such a large percentage of keepers in the world, statements like "greatest ever" also become an exaggeration.

Just say MSD is the best keeper for stumpings in your lifetime or something and that is the end of that. If TJB said Steve Smith is the greatest batsman of all time and someone else brought up Bradman, will you then say "none of us watched Bradman, so Smith is the best?".

Chill out, dude. CW can challenge opinions and I understand certain posters are very rough, but it is also a great place to learn many things.

EDIT: Just used TJB as an example, plz dont read more into that. :laugh:

TheJediBrah

No issue with the claim that MSD is the best stumper ever. That's perfectly reasonable. It was the nonsensical and abrupt shooting down of every response with irrelevant reasoning that was the head scratcher

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
No issue with the claim that MSD is the best stumper ever. That's perfectly reasonable. It was the nonsensical and abrupt shooting down of every response with irrelevant reasoning that was the head scratcher
He is the best ever stumper, of course. Irrelevance is in the eyes of the beholder.

bagapath

International Captain
He is the best ever stumper, of course. Irrelevance is in the eyes of the beholder.
Love MSD behind the wickets, as much as in front of them.
But he is not the best stumper even in my lifetime.

Absolutely loved Dujon for his acrobatics. He was a flying machine behind the stumps for all those express quicks. But he didnt keep enough for spinners.
Rodney Marsh was flawless. Not to forget Gilly and Jack Russell who were also awesome.
But Healy should be the front runner for that title from the last 40 years. He had the technique that made him look so easy on the eye for both pace and spin bowlers alike. He was so good for McGrath and McDermott and for Warne and May without making a big fuss about it.

Dhoni is in the discussion for title of "the best wicket keeper of his era". but if you start analysing from the time I started watching cricket (1982/3), Healy or Marsh should be winning the title, quite easily.

You go a little further back, Alan Knott would walk away with the honor. And, perhaps, would retain the title in the entire history of the long format

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Love MSD behind the wickets, as much as in front of them.
But he is not the best stumper even in my lifetime.

Absolutely loved Dujon for his acrobatics. He was a flying machine behind the stumps for all those express quicks. But he didnt keep enough for spinners.
Rodney Marsh was flawless. Not to forget Gilly and Jack Russell who were also awesome.
But Healy should be the front runner for that title from the last 40 years. He had the technique that made him look so easy on the eye for both pace and spin bowlers alike. He was so good for McGrath and McDermott and for Warne and May without making a big fuss about it.

Dhoni is in the discussion for title of "the best wicket keeper of his era". but if you start analysing from the time I started watching cricket (1982/3), Healy or Marsh should be winning the title, quite easily.

You go a little further back, Alan Knott would walk away with the honor. And, perhaps, would retain the title in the entire history of the long format
I think SS meant purely as a keeper for stumpings, but I agree the word stumper has traditionally referred to the keeper, so I can see why its confusing.