• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does Ishant Sharma rate?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anderson has done really well for himself overall (though I still don't rate him highly away from home), so I don't see him reaching that level. Broad is a more likely comparison with Ishant, I remember before the 2011 India-England series people were picking who would better fit the team between the two, and obviously after that tour Ishant really fell off and Broad becoming a lot more sucessful, I think Ishant can cover ground and reach close to Broad's stats.
Needs 183 wickets at 21.32 to match Broad...

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do agree on longevity. Bumrah is the only guy I put ahead of past cricketers though, but he has made by mind crazy reaching such dizzy heights in whatever little time we saw him. :)
Bumrah's clean bowled outswingers against WI the other night were great to watch. Bumrah is the first guy I've seen in my life that I can genuinely see maybe being as good as McGrath was. He's got potential to be better than Steyn IMO

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Bumrah's clean bowled outswingers against WI the other night were great to watch. Bumrah is the first guy I've seen in my life that I can genuinely see maybe being as good as McGrath was. He's got potential to be better than Steyn IMO
Never thought someone will say that about an Indian fast bowler. Fingers crossed.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I think this is too high a praise at this point. Having said that, I would be thrilled if this goes on to happen.

ma1978

International 12th Man
A more achievable goal would be matching Zaheer Khan (needs 36 wickets at 28.27) and then go on to surpass him.
Broad bowls in considerably more favourable conditions to Ishant. I suspect if someone were to normalize for conditions, the numbers would be very close (hint: PEWS).

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad bowls in considerably more favourable conditions to Ishant. I suspect if someone were to normalize for conditions, the numbers would be very close (hint: PEWS).
Indeed. Have taken a look at my spreadsheet and their normalised averages are 33 and 28 for Broad and Ishant respectively. The bigeest difference is with Kapil however who drops to a cool 18, making him the greatest bowler of all time after Pavel Florin.

Dennis Lillee ends up at 41, 2 spots below Rubel.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Funny how the conditions aren’t mentioned when comparing batsmen...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ishant has been mediocre for a few years and then excellent since 2016 or so, but seems to have regressed a bit recently.

Zak did it in the tougher era for bowling, so overall, I still think Zak > Ishant. Hopefully Ishant rediscovers his mojo and has a few more excellent years and brings his average below 30.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes Zak is a truly terrible bowler, all over the place and nowhere near as quick as he thinks he is

Zak Chappell that is