• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does Ishant Sharma rate?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Matches/Wickets/Average/SR

Zaheer : 92/311/33/60

Srinath : 67/236/31/64

Ishant : 91/272/34/63

Statistically, he is almost on par with Srinath and Zaheer.
He is clearly worse somewhere between 3-15% if you look at wickets per match and average. It is not far fetched to say he is close to them but he has to go a fair bit to equal or surpass them.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still well behind Zaheer, and Zaheer was only really good for a couple of years.

Logan

U19 Captain
He is clearly worse somewhere between 3-15% if you look at wickets per match and average.

Wickets per match isn’t fair. Wickets per ball(or SR) is better criteria.

Ishant Sharma’s SR is better than Srinath’s SR despite playing for a much longer period.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
yea but Ishant doesn't choose to play himself in the team. He get's picked by the selectors. He's thrown out there and tries his best.

If he is picked while he's terrible that isn't his fault, so I don't see why that's held against him (or any player, really). At least he was good enough to get selected, right? Ryan Harris is remembered fondly for his exploits at Test level, but it's never held against him that he was too **** to even be picked for Australia for the large majority of his career.

And like I said - in hypothetical ATG discussions we never evaluate players based on their bad days, nor do we speculate what it would be like if they were selected too soon or played on past their peak. Just because we know that Ishant was **** before he became good doesn't mean we then devalue all the work he did while he was good.
Ryan Harris is a whole different story. He went from being a mediocre, at best, medium pace bowling all rounder to a quick bowler mid career. Has anyone else ever done this?

h_hurricane

Wickets per match isn’t fair. Wickets per ball(or SR) is better criteria.

Ishant Sharma’s SR is better than Srinath’s SR despite playing for a much longer period.
I think if the strike rates are in the same territory, wickets per match and averages need to be looked at in analyzing players. Srinath clearly better on those fronts. Also, Ishant's strike rate was worse than Srinath only 48 hours ago.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
With your Harris example, it'd be weird to hold him donig badly in Shield matches against him when trying to assess his test career, but fans of South Australia would be perfectly entitled to hold it against him if he was losing them games by being bad
Spoken like a man clearly not familiar with South Australian cricket. The cupboard is so ****ing bare over here, has been for as long as I can remember.

Still he was behind Paul Rofe and Mark Cleary in the pecking order, and nobody thought either Rofe or Cleary was really Test class. Wasn't until his last season here that he actually started being fast

Logan

U19 Captain
I didn’t say Ishant was better than Srinath. At least for now.

Just saying “wicket per match” isn’t fair. “Balls per wicket” is better.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
When he's fired up and in form, opposition batsmen have to accept that Ishant Sharma's gonna get you, gonna knock you right on the head.

Daemon

He might end up with a career like Anderson’s. Promising, period of being bad (longer in Ishant’s case), excellent later on. Obviously Anderson’s done much better and is an ATVG, but their trajectory is sort of similar.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Early Anderson wasn't as good as people are saying. Fond memories of Jan-Berrie Burger giving him a bit of tap, Namibia looked to have a genuine shot at winning that game for a little while.

Incidentally Burger turns 38 today. Happy Birthday

trundler

He might end up with a career like Anderson’s. Promising, period of being bad (longer in Ishant’s case), excellent later on. Obviously Anderson’s done much better and is an ATVG, but their trajectory is sort of similar.
Identical records away from home too!

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson has done really well for himself overall (though I still don't rate him highly away from home), so I don't see him reaching that level. Broad is a more likely comparison with Ishant, I remember before the 2011 India-England series people were picking who would better fit the team between the two, and obviously after that tour Ishant really fell off and Broad becoming a lot more sucessful, I think Ishant can cover ground and reach close to Broad's stats.

As far as Ishant the bowler is concerned he's definitely improved SKILL WISE, which is why I'm optimistic about him, fitness wise he's at his peak, he's developed and inswing to the right hander and outswinger to the left handers, something he never did before. He's got an accurate bouncer and can hold a line and lenght for long periods. Definitely see him averaging between 30-31 by the time he closes his career, if he can get it sub 30 he would have done really good IMO.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
To me, Boomrah is already the 3rd best Indian fast bowler after Dev and Zaheer with Srinath occupying 4th place. Ishant is fifth at best and that is only because of lack of options. And I do not know much about how good Nissar and Amar were.

ishqiya

School Boy/Girl Captain
To me, Boomrah is already the 3rd best Indian fast bowler after Dev and Zaheer with Srinath occupying 4th place. Ishant is fifth at best and that is only because of lack of options. And I do not know much about how good Nissar and Amar were.
shami also should be there somewhere.

h_hurricane

I would go with the below order for now. All current pacers have potential to move ahead.

1.Kapil
2.Bumrah
3.Zaheer
4.Srinath
5.Shami
6.Ishant

It might be insane to think Bumrah is already that high, but it is even more insane to think that he is the only Asian cricketer to have 5 wicket hauls in Eng,Aus,WI and SA. Should be ahead of Kapil in a few years.

Srinath vs Zaheer is hard to judge. Srinath had the better record, Zaheer achieved more in a more batting friendly era and probably gets the nod due to left arm variety in an ATG XI.

Ishant has arguably matured better than Shami, but Shami matured earlier and didn't take ages to reach here.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
he is the only Asian cricketer to have 5 wicket hauls in Eng,Aus,WI and SA.
Well, the great Imran Khan never played in SA. He has got 5 wicket hauls in other 3 countries plus NZ. In fact only test playing nation that he visited and did not take fiver in was SL, a place he famously declined to tour at times to stay fit for tougher oppositions.

Daemon

Anderson has done really well for himself overall (though I still don't rate him highly away from home), so I don't see him reaching that level. Broad is a more likely comparison with Ishant, I remember before the 2011 India-England series people were picking who would better fit the team between the two, and obviously after that tour Ishant really fell off and Broad becoming a lot more sucessful, I think Ishant can cover ground and reach close to Broad's stats.

As far as Ishant the bowler is concerned he's definitely improved SKILL WISE, which is why I'm optimistic about him, fitness wise he's at his peak, he's developed and inswing to the right hander and outswinger to the left handers, something he never did before. He's got an accurate bouncer and can hold a line and lenght for long periods. Definitely see him averaging between 30-31 by the time he closes his career, if he can get it sub 30 he would have done really good IMO.
I only meant trajectory. He won’t end up with career stats like Anderson obv. He also won’t win as many matches for India as Broad has for England.

vcs

I would go with the below order for now. All current pacers have potential to move ahead.

1.Kapil
2.Bumrah
3.Zaheer
4.Srinath
5.Shami
6.Ishant

It might be insane to think Bumrah is already that high, but it is even more insane to think that he is the only Asian cricketer to have 5 wicket hauls in Eng,Aus,WI and SA. Should be ahead of Kapil in a few years.

Srinath vs Zaheer is hard to judge. Srinath had the better record, Zaheer achieved more in a more batting friendly era and probably gets the nod due to left arm variety in an ATG XI.

Ishant has arguably matured better than Shami, but Shami matured earlier and didn't take ages to reach here.
Think that's a bit premature, (at the risk of going all Pap Finn Keighl) all these guys have a looong way to go to reach Kapil and Ishant is not in the same class no matter how many wickets he ends up with. Bumrah has, what 50 wickets, and Shami around 150? And we don't know how long his action will be sustainable..

Basically, you are underrating the value of longevity quite a bit IMO.

the big bambino

International Captain
Ryan Harris is a whole different story. He went from being a mediocre, at best, medium pace bowling all rounder to a quick bowler mid career. Has anyone else ever done this?
Exactly. This is why the comparison with Harris doesn't work. He simply wasn't a test player to begin with. When he was good enough only injuries stopped him from challenging ATG status. Whereas Ishant was always thought good enough for tests but under performed until recently.

h_hurricane

Think that's a bit premature, (at the risk of going all Pap Finn Keighl) all these guys have a looong way to go to reach Kapil and Ishant is not in the same class no matter how many wickets he ends up with. Bumrah has, what 50 wickets, and Shami around 150? And we don't know how long his action will be sustainable..

Basically, you are underrating the value of longevity quite a bit IMO.
Do agree on longevity. Bumrah is the only guy I put ahead of past cricketers though, but he has made by mind crazy reaching such dizzy heights in whatever little time we saw him. :)