• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

cpr

International Coach
What I do is have a chat with them, recommend they'll make a fair coach on retirement, usually if they are old and keen they'll say they'll start straight away. It'll then give their coaching stats, but still only on the books as a player until you give them a new contract.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
found something else that annoys me

I just played burnley in the epl with my team spurs after the game the burnley manager said "I'd be better of shooting rather then trying to walk the ball in" the problem is I won 3-0 and this happens lots - Maybe if I lost the game but if I win 3-0 pretty sure I don't need to change how my team plays

Majin

International Debutant
Just got FM11 a couple of days ago, have been playing it pretty solidly. Took charge of Man City (I know, but they are my team so forgive me) and have been going pretty good guns since the start of the game. dropped pretty much my entire transfer budget at the start of the season bringing in players that work well with heavy squad rotation, which I have been doing all season.

Got some random striker from paraguay called Lucas Barrios who was the most expensive signing at 14.75 mil, who started off on fire but has dropped off since and barely sees a game anymore, although he does have a penchant for picking the ball up on the halfway line and dribbling up the pitch to score a fancy goal. Got a couple of decent full backs in Maxwell from Barca for around 6 mil and Gregory van der Wiel from Ajax who have both been good, Maxwell in particular is completely bummed by the fans. Also got some bloke from Chile called Arturo Vidal who is a DM/MC and goes alright. Works out well rotation with De Jong, Toure, Vidal and Barry in the centre of midfield and Kolarov/Maxwell + Richards/van der Wiel on the left and right alternatively. Oh, that reminds me, also brought Rafael Marquez in from New York because he's still a quality CB and wasting at NY.

Had a flying start to the season and won 10 games on the trot or something like that, then was brought down to earth out of nowhere losing 1-0 to West Ham. Tevez by far was the best player first half of the season, after 21 games he'd scored 23 goals across all competitions. Dzeko had a total fanny attack the first time I slagged the team off and had a cob on for months which was annoying because he was the best partner for Carlos up to that point, but he's toughened up a bit now. Had good wins over Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs in the prem and then pissed all over Juventus in the Europa league. Got CSKA Moscow in the first knockout stage of that comp.

Managed to give Micah Richards and Adam Johnson new contracts very cheap, because hilariously they both see themselves as backup players even though they've been playing heavily but I'm not complaining! Spunked 39 million in the January transfer window to bring in Aguero just because, and signed some Barca 19 year old Thiago on a pre-contract, as well as bringing in another 19 year old from Real Madrid on a half season loan. Got Man Utd in the league cup final and FA cup 5th round coming up, so that should be fun.

After the whole flying start to the season things got tougher as the opposition got used to my formation, which for the majority of the season was a 4-1-3-2, but now that the team is fully accustomed to that I've got them working on a Christmas tree 4-3-2-1 just for a laugh and it's actually worked out pretty well. Back to winning games by 3 or 4 goals as opposed to scraping 1-0's or having to go all out attack on 70 minutes to come from behind to win 2-1. the two spanish youngsters I got in are both attacking midfielders to play in that formation 'cause at the moment it's usually Dave Silva and Tevez behind Aguero/Dzeko up front, and prefer to have a midfielder there instead. But yeah been good so far. I still have no idea how anyone gets through 5 seasons of this game so easily, takes me ages just to get through one.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Playing 2010 version still, will probably get the new one though.

Into my 6th season with Udinese, won the league last season but Milan 5 points clear this time around with only a few games to go. Got a semi final with Real Madrid coming up in the champions league and a domestic final with Milan.

Far better though found 01/02 in Staines market the other day, simply superb, playing as Forrest with the wonderkid David Prutton.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyone have any suggestions for FM12?
Fix the AI negotiations when they're trying to buy players from you.

Negotiating with the AI works quite well when you're buying the player from the AI. For example, in my Rangers save at the start of the 2016/17 I wanted to buy Nuri Sahin from Man Utd; he'd stopped becoming a regular for them and only had a year left on his contract, so I bidded £5m, his value. This was rejected. I went up to £5.5m. Rejected. Went to £6m. Manchester United asked for £9m. I bid £7m, Man Utd accept. Good negotiations, AI willing to meet me some way in the middle.

Now flip to when the AI wants to buy your players. Sometimes the AI will make an enquiry for a player. I will rebuff this or declare my valuation. The AI then pulls out of the deal (fair enough I'll set some ludicrous asking prices but they merely reflect the fact I don't really want to sell the player.) Alternatively, the AI will bid exactly £2m for my £2m rated young gun. I will either reject this or declare an acceptable value for the player. The AI never ever comes back with an improved offer, or tries to meet me somewhere in the middle, it's as if the AI has decided how much the player is worth when they make their initial bid and won't ever bid above that. Almost no consideration is given to the fact that I might not want to sell the player so the AI needs to start higher.

Add to this the annoyance when AI managers unsettle my players by publically declaring that they will do everything in their power to make player X their player, yet don't submit one single transfer bid for him during the window. It's really annoying. All this combines to make selling players almost impossible.

Agents also annoy me; it's far too easy to annoy them and agents who don't like you allow their personal relationship with you to affect their professional relationship to an unrealistic degree. One of the agents in game has most of the top Scottish talent on his books; one of whom was Leigh Griffiths who I was interested in signing as a backup striker. I'd declared my interest before bidding, and the player indicated he'd do anything to play for Rangers. Bid gets accepted, and the agent who hates me tells me that he wants £26,000 a week. Contract talks swiftly ended when I offered a non-negotiable £12,000 a week, which was rejected. A couple of months later Griffiths signed a new deal at Dundee Utd worth £5k a week. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but an agent who cost you a move you really wanted by acting like a tool and making obscene wage demands before turning down a move that would more than quadruple your current salary would surely get himself fired the next day. I like the whole negotiating with agents aspect they've brought in, but not the way it's currently implemented.

Manager's reputations don't grow properly either; ex-players with absolutely no connection to the club find it far too easy to get top jobs. There's been a bit of a merry go round in England in my save; Mancini is at Man Utd, Ancelotti is at Man City, Javier Aguierre is at Arsenal. All fairly decent, high profile appointments. Liverpool's coach is Andy Watson (Alex McLeish's assistant manager at Hibernian, Rangers and Birmingham, in case you're wondering) and Chelsea's manager is Alan Shearer. Both of which are completely ludicrous. After 4 seasons in my Rangers game, I'd won 4 SPLs, 4 Scottish Cups, 3 League Cups and 2 Champions Leagues, and declared an interest in the Juventus job, as their incumbent manager was rumoured to be heading for the sack. Juventus, for some reason, found this absolutely hilarious and basically said that there would be no chance of me getting the job. 7 seasons in and despite winning 7 titles, 7 Scottish Cups, 6 League Cups and 3 Champions Leagues, I have not had one single job offer from anyone. Surely a manager with that sort of success at a mid-level club would be close to the top of every major club's shortlist? Jose Mourinho and Andre Vilas-Boas had a couple of season's success at Porto before Chelsea snapped them up.

Also speaking of managers, the Old Firm need to be more impatient. I don't know what Rangers' AI board are like as the only game I've played I've gone Rangers, but Celtic have reached 1 solitary cup final in 7 seasons (I've only knocked them out 4 out of 14 possible occasions) and have failed to finish 2nd 3 times in 7 seasons, twice finishing 6th. They've also drawn just 2 out of 33 possible Old Firm games, losing the other 31, some of them very badly. Yet despite all this, Neil Lennon is still the Celtic manager, and has barely had his job under pressure. Even when he has been under pressure and the board have been rumoured to be losing patience, he's gotten away with crap results. All the talk before one Old Firm game was about how a bad result would get Lennon the sack - Celtic promptly came to Ibrox and lost 10-0. Lennon still had a job the next day. In reality, you need a damned good excuse for failing to win the league in your first season and losing 10-0 would see you get fired before you left the ground, never mind 7 seasons of complete and utter mediocrity.

Majin

International Debutant
Now flip to when the AI wants to buy your players. Sometimes the AI will make an enquiry for a player. I will rebuff this or declare my valuation. The AI then pulls out of the deal (fair enough I'll set some ludicrous asking prices but they merely reflect the fact I don't really want to sell the player.) Alternatively, the AI will bid exactly £2m for my £2m rated young gun. I will either reject this or declare an acceptable value for the player. The AI never ever comes back with an improved offer, or tries to meet me somewhere in the middle, it's as if the AI has decided how much the player is worth when they make their initial bid and won't ever bid above that. Almost no consideration is given to the fact that I might not want to sell the player so the AI needs to start higher.
Gonna have to disagree here. maybe it's just difference in leagues or something but so far in my city game in the January transfer window I rejected several bids from Juventus for Adam Johnson, all increasing in price, signed him on a new contract and have spent most of the end of season summer window rejecting bids from Arsenal who started at about 6.5 mil and gone up consistently to where the last offer they sent was about 9.25 mil. I haven't set an asking price for him though, pretty much issued a hands off warning but yeah so far I haven't experienced much like that. Though I will agree in general that it would be nicer if it was made easier to offload players, hardly any AI teams seem to want to buy players. Had to pay 22k a week to Roque Santa Cruz until what would have been the end of his contract with us just to get him to piss off. Besiktas said they were interested in buying Jerome Boateng and have yet to do anything about it even though he's priced cheap and on the transfer list.

Yeah you've just named two of the five best players in the last Bundesliga season. Well done.
Pretty awesome random buys then I guess! But yeah I'm only running a game with English leagues and a small database, so I pretty much went looking around random national team squads to see if they had any decent players to nick, which is why they're the Chilean and Paraguayan to me.

Had a great finish to the season, smashed the premier league to bits. Finished on 101 points over all, most goals scored, least conceded, least yellow cards in the league, least red cards (0), beat Everton 3-1 to win the FA Cup, had a pretty comfortable game against At. Madrid to win the Europa league. Board offered me a 5 year contract worth 78k a week which was nice, earning more than half the players in the squad. Also gave me a 80 million transfer budget for the new season but my team was pretty much all but set. Spent most of the window hunting for quality youth players to bring in and raise up through the club system, only major purchases were Phil Jones because he's young enough to get by the 25 man squad rules and English (will also probably slot in nicely when Marquez calls it a day which I assume won't be too far off )and a right winger which was my weakest area, brought in Brazilian guy called Willian. Now i'm just looking to offload players before the start of the season, AC Milan supposedly interested in making a bid for Dzeko which I would be open to, he's a quality player but miserable as all hell and Super Mario is getting annoyed at the lack of first team opportunities. Aguero/Tevez/Barrios/Balotelli would suit me fine up front so I'd let him go happily.

cpr

International Coach
Gonna have to disagree here. maybe it's just difference in leagues or something but so far in my city game in the January transfer window I rejected several bids from Juventus for Adam Johnson, all increasing in price, signed him on a new contract and have spent most of the end of season summer window rejecting bids from Arsenal who started at about 6.5 mil and gone up consistently to where the last offer they sent was about 9.25 mil. I haven't set an asking price for him though, pretty much issued a hands off warning but yeah so far I haven't experienced much like that. Though I will agree in general that it would be nicer if it was made easier to offload players, hardly any AI teams seem to want to buy players. Had to pay 22k a week to Roque Santa Cruz until what would have been the end of his contract with us just to get him to piss off. Besiktas said they were interested in buying Jerome Boateng and have yet to do anything about it even though he's priced cheap and on the transfer list.
Yeah your issue is your managing city, and trying to offload Santa Cruz. IRL City are going to have to fork out a huge chunk of his wage too.

As for Johnson, he's a first team player. Its the tapping up of kids I find, silly offers matching asking price constantly for a guy in your u19s, when you know he's a star of the future. Constantly all summer too.

Majin

International Debutant
Can't say I've come across it yet, the only youth players anyone has tried to buy from me have been players I wasn't too interested in keeping anyway so maybe it'll start cropping up later into the game, especially since I brought in six or seven 15-17 year olds this window who all have the potential to become good players.

cpr

International Coach
Again, your Manchester City. They don't have their kids poached half as much as a Championship/Lower Prem side would.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's another annoyance, that AI teams can see PA and you can't.

I had a young left back come through my youth system, and Ally McCoist said he had the potential to be one of the greatest players of his generation. Checked his PA in Genie Scout and it's 193, which makes him potentially one of the best left backs in the game. After about a week all the top English clubs were in for him.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Found something else that annoys me:

I just signed Patrick Evra for 2million pounds (he will join me in Jan) and after he accepts my contract every time I talk to press they say I'm looking at signing Leighton Baines (or any other Left Back) why would I sign another one when I have Bale,Jack Robinson and now Patrick Evra (

cpr

International Coach
and another thing

Sort out the French league... Star players seem to play 1-2 games for the reserves at the start of each season, then back into the main squad for the rest of the year. Absolutely messes up the career history screen, makes it impossible to follow. Surely that doesn't happen IRL either.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Started a nostalgia 97/98 game with Oldham and had the most bizzare game in the League Cup first round. Won the first leg comfortably 5-2, although slightly unhappy to concede 2 late goals. Gave veteran Andy Ritchie a start in the return leg and when he scored the opener after 7 minutes the tie looked over...

7-1 down at one point before Rush pulled one back and Ritchie got a hatrick to take it into extra time. Edged ahead in extra time only for Torquay to score 2 more and get in front at the break, a penalty from Richard Graham looked to have saved me but Chris Kiwomya completed his hattrick with the last kick of the game :wacko:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Haha yikes. Had a Scandinavian clone of that game but can't remember getting any wacky results like that (I remember route one was always useful though). I guess it's the million monkeys at work :p

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
TBF i was playing 3-3-2-2 with an 18yo keeper and 3 teenage defenders. First thing I did was put everyone over 25 on the transfer list apart from Ritchie and bring in 5 schoolboy free transfers.

The game afterwards I decided I'd maybe put in some more experience and replaced the keeper with Gary Kelly, he got sent off after 26 minutes and we lost 6-0 to Blackpool. Then the game after I was 1 up after 10 minutes when their striker injured Kelly (didn't even get a yellow) and since its only 3 subs I didn't have a keeper on the bench, 2 of my defenders decided to get sent off as well and I managed to lose 6-2. Its been an interesting start.

cpr

International Coach
Downloaded it, binned it off.

Player profiles are unbelievably annoying, that new front screen for them is rubbish, then if you look through the stats etc for your player, you can't just press back to go back to the squad screen, you have to flick back through every screen you'd been in.

Then you get to the interview with the press and get asked the same questions as before, the same mundane pointless ones.

But I bet the 3D engine that no-body uses looks prettier.