• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Are You Doing On CM?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah I did that but they're still not correct in the game - suspect I started it before deleting and my next game will be correct.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Will give an update on how I have been getting along, mainly because I have nothing else to do this evening....other than play FM a bit more, until the cricket starts again anyway.

Basically, started a game with Middlesbrough. Managed to sign Jay-Lloyd Samuel for £1m, and Fabian Carini on a free transfer, to replace the knackered and old Danny Coyne. Richie De Laet, Gabriel Obertan, Kieran Gibbs and Chris Smalling all had loan spells throughout the season as well. Despite a few sticky patches in which it seemed impossible to buy a win, the first season went largely ok, finishing in first and getting promotion, had a nice cup run as well which was eventually halted by Chelsea.

First season back in the Premiership is a bit of a daunting prospect, as I'm not really sure if the defence is up to the job. Kamil Zayatte has been brought in to partner Wheater, not really sure if Steve McManus, Justin Hoyte and Jay-Lloyd are up to the challenge of the top tier though. However, a spate of signings elsewhere in the side means that I am hopeful of being able to hang on. Michael Owen and Patrick Vieira were both released at the end of last season, so they have come in on free transfers, their fitness is likely to be a problem I suspect, but their ability is still of the required standard. Federico Macheda coming in on loan ought to bolster the attack of McDonald, Boyd and Lita.

Will report back with how things progress....

DCC_legend

International Regular
Still playing the good old FM08.

Started a new game a few weeks ago as Dundee United. Wasn't the most successful start to my managerial career and I got sacked just after Christmas. Took up a job at Redditch (Blue Square North) and saved them from relegation. Brought in a couple of re-gens and a few free transfers (managed to get Max Gradel on a free) and have since been at the top of the division since the 2nd week. It's now the end of November 2008 and I'm hoping for a promotion.

Craig

World Traveller
Actually just found it. Having a crack the Bundesliga now.
What team are you playing as? I'm considering playing it as well (when I get my hands on the game). One of Schalke, Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, Bayer Leverkusen, or Dortmund could be interesting. It would be challenging trying to keep Edin Džeko at Wolfsburg.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Made a huge balls up with the Boro game. Finished in 10th, which was really really good, for a second season back in the premiership anyway. However, Man City sacked their manager, and approached me for the position without me having to apply for it. I accidentily clicked on accept, and thought "oh ****", and then quit the game, still have the boro save, but hell knows when I last saved it, scared to boot it up again now tbh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Been playing with Atletico Madrid lately...and think I have accidentily started using the scoring goals from corners cheat/bug....as Alvaro Dominguez has scored 14 goals from playing at centre back in my first season....with about 9 league games to go...

Also, seem to have found another huge bug in the game, which doesn't effect me at all....but I happened to notice the other day that Japan are in the Copa America...WTF.

Edit: Just found out that they actually will be in it IRL....even more of a WTF moment.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well if Australia can be in Asia, anything goes nowadays?

I had a CB like that in one of my early seasons on my current game. He had something like 10 goals by October. Finished the season with 11 though.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My FM10 save broke :( Was tearing things up with Arsenal and was just embarking on my first real overhaul of the side.
Started a new one with QPR but cbf tbh. Will just wait for FM12 and rinse it at Uni :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Been playing with Atletico Madrid lately...and think I have accidentily started using the scoring goals from corners cheat/bug....as Alvaro Dominguez has scored 14 goals from playing at centre back in my first season....with about 9 league games to go...

Also, seem to have found another huge bug in the game, which doesn't effect me at all....but I happened to notice the other day that Japan are in the Copa America...WTF.

Edit: Just found out that they actually will be in it IRL....even more of a WTF moment.
COMNEBOL only has 10 member sides, and the Copa America is a 12 team tournament - there's been guest sides for as long as I can remember. Japan have been in it before, and I remember Honduras reaching the semis in 2004 or 2005 after a few teams refused to travel to Colombia after some terrorist scare. Carlos Tevez gunned it in that tournament IIRC.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
ITSTL, wonder why I've never noticed before.

With regards to my Atletico team, the only signing I have made of any note so far is Senna for a cool £1.6m, the result being that I'm top of the league with about 7 games left to go, and 5 points ahead of Real and Barcelona....realism ftw.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
ITSTL, wonder why I've never noticed before.

With regards to my Atletico team, the only signing I have made of any note so far is Senna for a cool £1.6m, the result being that I'm top of the league with about 7 games left to go, and 5 points ahead of Real and Barcelona....realism ftw.
Probably because Mexico have tended to be one of the invited teams, which doesn't really look out of place.

cpr

International Coach
Started a job unemployed but with decent rep, took Blackburn over in feb when they sacked fat sam... Alas no millionaire chicken woman to come to my aid yet. Dragged them upto a respectable 10th at end of season 1, and finished 8th in season 2. Was a good achievement as it was a close season, and nearly nabbed 7th an Europe at the death. However nightmare fixture list to start season 3, might be lucky to survive... Lost a close game at villa, before Liverpool won 3-0 at Ewood (2 late goals when I went attacking). Chelsea, Newcastle, Man Utd, Arsenal coming up, get more than 4 points after 6 games i'll be happy (and possibly still employed)

Signed Guardado in the summer, nabbed Andres D'Alessandro last summer who was a revalation, Lukas Jutkiewicz was a smart move in too. Hoping to see how he does with Kalinic (spent last year on loan at Ajax after a temper tantrum)

cpr

International Coach
Well, very nearly sacked, 0 points after 5 games, only winnable game in the run was Newcastle, and we collapsed. Managed to beat Arsenal 1-0 to save my bacon, nerve racking esp when RvP stepped to to take a pen with 5 mins to go.....

then took an easy 3 points at Leeds and it looks like panic over :)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can't get into this version at all, literally no idea who I'd want to go. Can't really be bothered trying to win a league I've won before, can't be bothered trying something new either.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Have (re-)discovered an old, but heavily patched (starting in 09/10), install of CM01/02 on my system, and spent the majority of the train ride to Carlisle and back playing it. Three seasons in with Exeter - 16th in League One first time out, losing in the playoff final (not happy) next up, before going up at the third time of asking.

The season was a three-way scrap between Exeter, Norwich and Cambridge from October through to May. It included a 5-5 draw at Carrow Road in April when I took the lead five times - and led for a grand total of ten minutes all told (we have taken the Peterborough approach of "we're just going to score more than you"). We then all but sealed the deal by sticking another five past Cambridge a week later (happily only conceding one this time).

Code:
Pos     Team                            Pld  Won  Drn  Lst  For  Ag   Won  Drn  Lst  For  Ag   Pts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st  C  Norwich                         46   19   2    2    62   23   10   10   3    33   24   99   
2nd  P  Exeter                          46   18   3    2    62   25   11   5    7    45   39   95   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd  Pl Cambridge Utd                   46   16   2    5    51   27   9    10   4    42   34   87   
4th  Pl Southend                        46   13   7    3    45   26   7    8    8    35   39   75   
5th  Pl Coventry                        46   11   7    5    33   24   10   5    8    42   37   75   
6th  Pl Oldham                          46   15   3    5    34   25   5    9    9    24   31   72   
7th     S****horpe                      46   14   7    2    50   30   4    9    10   21   37   70   
8th     Charlton                        46   15   3    5    42   23   6    3    14   29   39   69   
9th     Wycombe                         46   11   6    6    29   24   8    5    10   24   31   68   
10th    Port Vale                       46   10   9    4    39   23   7    7    9    28   35   67
Our approach has been to sign players that other teams don't want for next to nothing, go and give them a good beating, and then sell them on for grossly inflated amounts - lots of transfer profit made, wage bill kept manageable, no unhappy players. Whether that will be enough to survive in the Championship, however, is another question.

cpr

International Coach
My Blackburn form is no longer a worry, as Roma offered me a wedge to dig them out of a hole too... In a decent enough league position that a few Jan signings will get a Europa spot, then its a rebuild in the summer.

salman85

International Debutant
Not sure if the above posts are for FM or CM,since this is a CM thread but we all know how threads stick to the topic :P

I'm playing FM.

Started at Napoli,5 years.Won the Serie A,Europa League,Champions Cup and Super Cup,though i can never win the Italian Cup.Which is a pity so i wanted to win all competitions at Napoli.

Got an offer from Tottenham for the 2014/15 season (my contract at Napoli expired but i didnt renew it despite accept the offers.I have integrity!),and won the Premier League at my first attempt.Just started the next season.I brought in 5-6 players,replacing some first team players from last season,and i've lost 6 of my first 8 league matches,drawing the other 2.Sucks.

I was also offered the England National Team position,which i accepted,so i'm incharge of both Spurs and the English NT.England is doing well though,since i got rid of all the deadwood and brought in 23 new players from the junior teams.Micah Richards in my England captain.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Won the Spanish League and Copa del Rey with my Atletico team in my first season, burned off all opposition fairly easily in truth. Got to the UEFA cup final against Palermo, but Javier Pastore had a stormer and ran rings around my defence whilst Forlan and Aguero squandered several chances at the other end, the result being a 2-0 defeat. Good season on the whole though, will be interesting to see if I can keep things going quite so well next year.