• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"HANSIE" Movie!

Best Cricket Based Movie?

• Expecting Hansie (English, South Africa)?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jot1

State Vice-Captain
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
First of all, no one here has seen the movie yet, but most have seen fit to trash it. Conclusion? None of you know what you're talking about.
Secondly, synopsis means "a BRIEF summary of the plot, etc."
As no one has seen the movie yet, why presume the whole truth isn't shown?
And third, he tried corrupting ALL the players, not just those of color. It was only them who fell for it.
You may all now trash me, I'll be in good company.:ph34r:

Indipper

State Regular
No. Drug cheats try to get ahead to try to help themselves, their country and their team win.

Match fixers fixate to lose, which is against the essence of all sport.
How convenient that you can use sport to cleanse those who 'cheat for their country'. Both drug takers and match fixers get ahead for themselves (and nevermind the pathos) by screwing other participants in the game. One group screws their opponents, the other one screws their team mates.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But you did classify Olympic Drug Cheats along the lines of Cronje's deeds. Didn't you ?
Nah not really. Ruining the sport's integrity is just a small part of what Cronje did. Personally I think he's worse.

Uppercut

How convenient that you can use sport to cleanse those who 'cheat for their country'. Both drug takers and match fixers get ahead for themselves (and nevermind the pathos) by screwing other participants in the game. One group screws their opponents, the other one screws their team mates.
Don't you think that it's more despicable to stab someone in the back than in the front?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
he tried corrupting ALL the players, not just those of color. It was only them who fell for it.
Indeed. Tthe way UC presented it(Please Correct me If I am wrong) , it appeared as if Cronje specifically picked out the Gibbs and Henry because of their color, and that is where I thought it was his (UC's) assumptions and imaginations than actual facts.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No. Drug cheats try to get ahead to try to help themselves, their country and their team win.

Match fixers fixate to lose, which is against the essence of all sport.
So it is a lesser crime, because they want to win.

What Did Ben Johnson win ?

Uppercut

Indeed. Tthe way UC presented it(Please Correct me If I am wrong) , it appeared as if Cronje specifically picked out the Gibbs and Henry because of their color, and that is where I thought it was his (UC's) assumptions and imaginations than actual facts.
It's how it was presented at the tribunal. It's thought that on another team meeting he suggested it to the team and they voted against it. The idea that Cronje selected Gibbs and Henry was the notion that the tribunal tried to put out, whether it's true or not is largely irrelevant because the social consequence is the same. Surely you can see what the social consequences are of a hugely respected white captain of a post-apartheid national team admitting to implicating two young coloured players in a match-fixing scandal, in a country still recovering from years of prejudice? This is what he was largely seen to do. Saying "ah well he tried to corrupt a lot of other players too" doesn't justify it.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It's how it was presented at the tribunal. It's thought that on another team meeting he suggested it to the team and they voted against it. The idea that Cronje selected Gibbs and Henry was the notion that the tribunal tried to put out, whether it's true or not is largely irrelevant because the social consequence is the same. Surely you can see what the social consequences are of a hugely respected white captain of a post-apartheid national team admitting to implicating two young coloured players in a match-fixing scandal, in a country still recovering from years of prejudice? This is what he was largely seen to do. Saying "ah well he tried to corrupt a lot of other players too" doesn't justify it.
I am sorry but I dont see anything except for conspiracy theory.

Uppercut

I am sorry but I dont see anything except for conspiracy theory.
There's no conspiracy. How can't you see how bad it looks when a hugely respected white captain is seen to implicate two coloured players in a match-fixing scandal in a country that had been segregated racially for years beforehand?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Because I do not see them as White & Black. Plus Gibbs has been an idiot for most of his life, he didn't need Cronje, The White Captain, to sell his own soul. The guy has been smoking Ganja and making racist jokes in Public, has been arrested, divorced by his wife because of his various issues.

No No, I can't think of it any more than mere excuse.

Uppercut

Because I do not see them as White & Black. Plus Gibbs has been an idiot for most of his life, he didn't need Cronje, The White Captain, to sell his own soul. The guy has been smoking Ganja and making racist jokes in Public, has been arrested, divorced by his wife because of his various issues.

No No, I can't think of it any more than mere excuse.
The extent of the consequences outside of cricket can be debated for sure, but they certainly existed. Not everyone "does not see them as White & Black", especially not in SA where they still have quotas and the like.

But yeah, Gibbs is comically stupid.

Uppercut

I think it's wrong to stab someone. Front or back, does it matter? Moral relativism of this sort can't lead to an acceptable result.
I personally find it more morally repulsive to screw over your friends than to screw over your enemies. But that's a matter of opinion i suppose.

Indipper

State Regular
When you consider the guys on the other team your enemies and the folks you play with for a living your friends then yes that might be considered more wrong. By some.

Uppercut

When you consider the guys on the other team your enemies and the folks you play with for a living your friends then yes that might be considered more wrong. By some.
It was merely a continuation of the stabbing metaphor.

Would you rather discover your team-mate had sold out to bookmakers for money without telling anyone causing your own team to lose, or discover a member of the other team had used performance enhancing drugs in order to beat you? For me, feeling betrayed is worse than feeling cheated. Just my opinion on the topic though.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
First of all, no one here has seen the movie yet, but most have seen fit to trash it. Conclusion? None of you know what you're talking about.
Secondly, synopsis means "a BRIEF summary of the plot, etc."
As no one has seen the movie yet, why presume the whole truth isn't shown?
And third, he tried corrupting ALL the players, not just those of color. It was only them who fell for it.
You may all now trash me, I'll be in good company.:ph34r:
Thanks for that, Frans.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Would you rather discover your team-mate had sold out to bookmakers for money without telling anyone causing your own team to lose, or discover a member of the other team had used performance enhancing drugs in order to beat you? For me, feeling betrayed is worse than feeling cheated. Just my opinion on the topic though.
What about the option where someone has done both i.e. Sold Out to a bookmaker AND used performance enhancing drugs.

Indipper

State Regular
It was merely a continuation of the stabbing metaphor.

My point was not whether it makes you feel worse, which admittedly it does if your chum sells your colours down the river. My point was that the ethical imbalance between cheating your team mates and cheating the opposition is not quite as massive as ss makes it out to be.