• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"HANSIE" Movie!

Best Cricket Based Movie?

• Expecting Hansie (English, South Africa)?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone makes mistakes, Hansie did too. Let's not pretend that we are all mistake free and jump the Hansie bashing bandwagon. He fixed matches, big mistake he did and paid the price for it. He served his time. I dont find his story very inspiring but I believe he was genuinely sorry for what he did and that's enough for me to move on and.

His story is very true and there is a lesson of life in it and I will not be surprised if someone does get inspired by his life. King Ashoka killed millions before becoming the greatest preacher of Non-Violence, Angulimal used to be a robber and used to cut fingers of the people he robbed, he later became a monk and started preaching Non-violence.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Everyone makes mistakes, Hansie did too. Let's not pretend that we are all mistake free and jump the Hansie bashing bandwagon. He fixed matches, big mistake he did and paid the price for it. He served his time. I dont find his story very inspiring but I believe he was genuinely sorry for what he did and that's enough for me to move on and.

His story is very true and there is a lesson of life in it and I will not be surprised if someone does get inspired by his life. King Ashoka killed millions before becoming the greatest preacher of Non-Violence, Angulimal used to be a robber and used to cut fingers of the people he robbed, he later became a monk and started preaching Non-violence.
I'm all for forgiveness. It's the film which I don't like the sound of because it's re-writing history and that his brother is directing it makes it even more suspicious. This bit is especially galling;

"Then the rumours start. Recordings from Hansie’s phone are released to an Indian newspaper and a distraught Hansie, after denying the rumours for a week, writes a fax that will send shockwaves around the world. What began as a flirtation with Indian bookies becomes an international furore. Hansie confesses to having taken money from the bookmakers in exchange for information on cricket matches. The result: a commission of enquiry into match fixing, with Hansie as the central figure."

Errrr, yeah that's where it started. There's the other minor problem of offering his team-mates US$200k to under-perform. Then there's offering Herschelle Gibbs money (which he never admitted to). Then there's his admitted liaisons with Marlon Aronstam.

You can't judge a man based on one chapter in his life, indeed. But this movie would appear to be blatant revisionism, an attempt to minimise the bad and big up the good, to influence peoples' opinion by omission of what is key information. That's not particularly honest, in my book. Your examples are different because the bad and good are presented in those cases and the person is judged accordingly. We're getting the whole story, in other words. This would not appear to be the case with Hansie: The Movie.

Won't know for sure until the film is seen, of course.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have no problems with accepting that he made a mistake (though comparing him to Ashoka and Angulimaal is really far fetched) and that he was human but one just needs to keep a balance in these things. If one was to present a true picture of his life, warts and all, it is fine for there is a lot to learn from mistakes, even those of others. But what was said (and I quoted) smelt 'suspiciously' of trying to paint his 'legacy' in favourable colours alone. That would be a dis-service to the game and surely not a great way to 'inspire and motivate people' on how to live their lives. I suppose one will have to wait and watch before deciding how faithful the producers of the film have been to the story of Cronje and their professed motives of being in this business.

Protean

State Regular
If it's anything like the book his brother wrote (or "helped" write) about him it will be awful, not only biased but poorly written too.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A mistake is putting on odd socks in the morning. Taking money from bookmakers to underperform, drawing two coloured players into the corruption in the process, was a huge betrayal to not only cricket as a whole but also to the process of reconciliation in his country. Just as Olympic athletes who used drugs destroyed the credibility of their sport, so Cronje has made us wonder about the integrity of the results of hundreds of matches since. So I'm quite happy to remain on the Hansie-bashing bandwagon, thank you very much.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Will go and see it when it comes out, think its SA release only to be honest..

Hansie is still reguarded as almost a martyr in some parts.. I personally forgave him, but I don't hold him in any higher regard than that.. Should be an interesting watch at least.. I guess a man can't erase his mistakes, but Hansie did his best to move on and put something back in..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Will go and see it when it comes out, think its SA release only to be honest..

Hansie is still reguarded as almost a martyr in some parts.. I personally forgave him, but I don't hold him in any higher regard than that.. Should be an interesting watch at least.. I guess a man can't erase his mistakes, but Hansie did his best to move on and put something back in..
interesting...a martyr for what?

Langeveldt

Soutie
interesting...a martyr for what?
I don't know to be honest, Afrikanerdom, SA's last great white captain? It was a confusing atmosphere when he died, because a lot of people hadn't forgiven him for what he did, but he had almost fanatical following among many others, especially in his home town of Bloem. It might have something to do with him coming from a very conservative, religious part of the country..

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
(though comparing him to Ashoka and Angulimaal is really far fetched)
Wasn't making any comparison, merely stating that History is full of people who made a complete transitions as human beings and cited two examples. Besides, Hansie's crime is nothing compared to the violent acts of the two incidents I mentioned.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know to be honest, Afrikanerdom, SA's last great white captain? It was a confusing atmosphere when he died, because a lot of people hadn't forgiven him for what he did, but he had almost fanatical following among many others, especially in his home town of Bloem. It might have something to do with him coming from a very conservative, religious part of the country..
I could be wrong but that does sound like the kind of 'loyalty' one would expect in a country riven by social divisions where sentiments based on "he-was-one-of-us" over ride every other consideration. Neither a positive nor a very worthy form of endorsement, hero-worship or whatever.

Marius

International Debutant
I could be wrong but that does sound like the kind of 'loyalty' one would expect in a country riven by social divisions where sentiments based on "he-was-one-of-us" over ride every other consideration. Neither a positive nor a very worthy form of endorsement, hero-worship or whatever.
Its not every white South African, remember. Hansie is probably only really still really revered in Bloem, like Langeveldt said, something of a "home-town boy made good" syndrome. I don't think I'll ever forgive Hansie, he ****ed up massively, but remember Shane Warne also gave information to bookies, cheated on his wife, and took diuretics before the 2003 World Cup, yet he is not crucified to anywhere near the same extent. A hangover from apartheid, where all white South Africans are automatically villians?

And sentiments based on "he-was-one-of-us" do not override every consideration SJS. Good thing you're not stereotyping white South Africans 8-)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Not saying it is positive, it's somewhat worrying to be honest.. I heard a TMS lunchtime interview with some anti-apartheid activist whose name escapes me, where he went so far as saying that south africans often have a "different" version of separating right from wrong, and that there is no way Hansie would have been celebrated to such an extent in any other country..

pasag

RTDAS
Its not every white South African, remember. Hansie is probably only really still really revered in Bloem, like Langeveldt said, something of a "home-town boy made good" syndrome. I don't think I'll ever forgive Hansie, he ****ed up massively, but remember Shane Warne also gave information to bookies, cheated on his wife, and took diuretics before the 2003 World Cup, yet he is not crucified to anywhere near the same extent. A hangover from apartheid, where all white South Africans are automatically villians?

And sentiments based on "he-was-one-of-us" do not override every consideration SJS. Good thing you're not stereotyping white South Africans 8-)
Fixing matches is the worst thing you can do, it's the only thing that threatens cricket to its foundations. Warne may have messed up, so have many other players on many issues but matchfixing takes it to another level and the player deserve to be portrayed as a villian in a cricketing sense. Blaming it as double standards because of some 'hangover from apartheid' is absolute rubbish.

Marius

International Debutant
Fixing matches is the worst thing you can do, it's the only thing that threatens cricket to its foundations. Warne may have messed up, so have many other players on many issues but matchfixing takes it to another level and the player deserve to be portrayed as a villian in a cricketing sense. Blaming it as double standards because of some 'hangover from apartheid' is absolute rubbish.
I didn't say it was double standards, I was just saying that Hansie isn't the only guy who made a mistake.

And you're right, Hansie nearly destroyed the fabric of the game, I do not disagree with you on that point. But South Africans often seem to get a worse rap than other nations. Not that I'm defending Hansie, or think he should have been forgiven for what he did.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A good movie can be made on Cronje. Whether this will be one is questionable.
Very true.

Before the match-fixing scandal Hansie Cronje was an inspiration, no doubt about it. His performances for South Africa and the strength with which he drew the team together under his captaincy, that was something special IMO. I've forgiven Cronje for his actions and I can only hope that others can do the same also, though it's mostly irrelevant after his death.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Very true.

Before the match-fixing scandal Hansie Cronje was an inspiration, no doubt about it. His performances for South Africa and the strength with which he drew the team together under his captaincy, that was something special IMO. I've forgiven Cronje for his actions and I can only hope that others can do the same also, though it's mostly irrelevant after his death.
Yep. He was an amazing captain and roll model up to his corruption. I'm not trying to play down what he did though.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Blaming it as double standards because of some 'hangover from apartheid' is absolute rubbish.
But that's how it is being perceived at least in some sections..Take a look at the following post :-

"....drawing two coloured players into the corruption in the process, was a huge betrayal to not only cricket as a whole but also to the process of reconciliation in his country...."

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fixing matches is the worst thing you can do, it's the only thing that threatens cricket to its foundations. Warne may have messed up, so have many other players on many issues but matchfixing takes it to another level and the player deserve to be portrayed as a villian in a cricketing sense.
Pretty much disagree with everything there.