• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - New Zealand, England, Kenya, Canada

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Knowing how injury prone our guys are, I think there's a lot of good reason to rest players in these games. I'd say it's more to do with that than "giving everyone a go". I imagine almost any other test-playing nation would do the same in our position, too.
I doubt the other Test-playing nations would actually, some might obviously but then they're barmy. This cotton wool crap when they're fully fit is ridiculous, why don't you put them in mobility scooters as well so they don't have to walk anywhere and risk stubbing a toe?

How many countries would play a side with reserve players in it in their final warm-up game?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I doubt the other Test-playing nations would actually, some might obviously but then they're barmy. This cotton wool crap when they're fully fit is ridiculous, why don't you put them in mobility scooters as well so they don't have to walk anywhere and risk stubbing a toe?

How many countries would play a side with reserve players in it in their final warm-up game?
TBF, New Zealand is one of the most injury prone cricket nations.

Bond - Everyone knows his history
Vettori - Alot of back trouble over his career

And then current injuries
Taylor - Strained hamstring
Fulton - Broken little finger of left hand
Oram - Broken ring finger of left hand
McMillan - Bruised toe
Gillespie - some freaky virus

And
Styris/Oram have just come back from long injury layoffs in the last couple of months.

I think they have more than enough reasons to be cautious

Loony BoB

International Captain
As for playing the non-first-team players of a squad in the final warmup game... don't a lot of sides do that? I was always under the impression that was the case. I know Aussie do it. NZ too, obviously. After a quick check, I see England also do it. India made three changes between their last warmup match and their first ODI against SA recently. Can't be arsed checking in further but I imagine that most teams do this.

EDIT: All other sides this season (06-07) played T20's before their first ODI instead of regular tour matches so it's hard to say for other teams.

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Canada team
JM Davison, GEF Barnett, A Bagai, IS Billcliff, AM Samad, AA Mulla, S Dhaniram, U Bhatti, AC Cummins, H Osinde, KT Sandher

New Zealand team
SP Fleming, L Vincent, SB Styris, PG Fulton, JDP Oram, CD McMillan, BB McCullum, DL Vettori, DR Tuffey, JS Patel, MJ Mason

A predictable side with Gillespie being the only one to continue without a game. Looking forward to seeing how the fringe players get on, along with Vincent.

Scaly piscine

As for playing the non-first-team players of a squad in the final warmup game... don't a lot of sides do that? I was always under the impression that was the case. I know Aussie do it. NZ too, obviously. After a quick check, I see England also do it. India made three changes between their last warmup match and their first ODI against SA recently. Can't be arsed checking in further but I imagine that most teams do this.

EDIT: All other sides this season (06-07) played T20's before their first ODI instead of regular tour matches so it's hard to say for other teams.
I'm talking about warmups for important contests, not for mickey mouse ODIs where teams rest and swap players around anyway. England always play what they think will be their final XI in the last warmup before a Test series.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Really? Tell that to Duncan Fletcher, because he forgot that when leading up to the Ashes of all series. Unless he made a very late decision to include Giles and Harmison.

EDIT: To further the English point, they did indeed play their 'reserve' players in the final warmup before the World Cup against Australia. Being able to play 13 players in a match does aid with such things...

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Really? Tell that to Duncan Fletcher, because he forgot that when leading up to the Ashes of all series. Unless he made a very late decision to include Giles and Harmison.

EDIT: To further the English point, they did indeed play their 'reserve' players in the final warmup before the World Cup against Australia. Being able to play 13 players in a match does aid with such things...

Harmison was injured and Giles was a late decision because of Panesar being rubbish.

Loony BoB

International Captain
And in India?

Also, anyone with half a brain knew that Panesar was not crap. Fletcher just had it in his head that he was going to play Giles, and wasn't going to change for anyone. Panesar was never in his first team the game beforehand.

EDIT: Two silly wickets fall as NZ just start playing shots left right and center.

Scaly piscine

And in India?

Also, anyone with half a brain knew that Panesar was not crap. Fletcher just had it in his head that he was going to play Giles, and wasn't going to change for anyone. Panesar was never in his first team the game beforehand.

EDIT: Two silly wickets fall as NZ just start playing shots left right and center.

Tresco had to go home after that warm-up, so obviously they replaced him with Cook and since Tresco was one of the main batsmen they decided they needed to lengthen the batting to compensate so Plunkett went as well. As for Panesar he would have played had he not been so toothless in the warm-ups.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tresco had to go home after that warm-up, so obviously they replaced him with Cook and since Tresco was one of the main batsmen they decided they needed to lengthen the batting to compensate so Plunkett went as well. As for Panesar he would have played had he not been so toothless in the warm-ups.
And also probably if Plunkett had been picked

Although that said I'm not sure that Cook replaced Tresco so Plunkett was left out.

I'd have said Cook was in the side in the 6-Jones-4 line-up, and it was Collingwood who came in for Tresco.