• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia

BeeGee

International Captain
What is it with world champs struggling to get out of the group stage? It's like some freaky curse.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's an odd one because most of the squad are still really good. Think their personal are mostly fine they just need a bit of a revival in style. Maybe get more people like Isco in who can run at defenders.
Oh not doubting this, but I think it's clear too that Del Bosque has stuck with a couple of players for no good reason other than they've done it before in Torres & Casillas, and I don't imagine Xavi being on the bench for what essentially was a knockout game bodes well for his future. I could see Casillas playing for Spain again simply because of his status, but the other 2 i'd have concerns for.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can't quite get my head around just how pedestrian and underwhelming Spain were. They just didn't look up for it from the first kick of the ball. Very disappointing.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah played well for about 10 minutes at the start of the second half but that was about it. In that sense it was worse than the Netherlands match where they were actually pretty good in the first half.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats Ozzies. Know it ends up scant consolation when you almost had the dream result in hand, but a great performance nonetheless.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah played well for about 10 minutes at the start of the second half but that was about it. In that sense it was worse than the Netherlands match where they were actually pretty good in the first half.
Yeah. I know I said the other day that they couldn't have just changed into a poor side over night, but you wouldn't know it based on today's showing. Their movement was non-existent, and the passing was just rank. You knew the game was up when they actually started lumping the ball into the box. Such an un-Spain-like performance.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
such a shame that in the future it will only say 3-1 against chile and 3-2 against the netherlands, deserved so much more out of both games especially the dutch.

definitely makes you proud though watching that though, when we went ahead after that penalty what a glorious time that was.

surely the netherlands will go balls deep in this world cup, don't want to say theyve been lucky but it seems every shot they take at goal goes in

anyway the future is bright thats for sure

dermo

International Vice-Captain
also think a couple of our young blokes, leckie in particular could be headed for a bit of a pay rise after there perfomances so far

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Del Bosque has to take the blame. Didn't see the writing on the wall, especially for Casillas. Picking the right keeper alone would've made a huge difference.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gutted to have missed yesterday's games. The only thing I got to see was the final whistle in the Spain match. Tbf that was pleasant

the big bambino

International Captain
I was expecting 5 goals in our match against the Dutch but not thinking we'd get 40% of them. In awe of what Ange has done. Agree with earlier comments regretting we didn't pick these younger players earlier. Seems like previous coaches were only interested in bolstering their CVs at the expense of developing the younger talent. Much easier to qualify using up the last dregs of the golden era boys then hope to move onto bigger paydays elsewhere. Cynical coaching.

A real shame Kruse wasn't available. Cahill is a hero. Scores clutch goals and that one last night was sublime. Anyway good practice for the Asian Cup I suppose...

Enjoying the Dutch style and would be pleased if they win this especially given their history in the tournament.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Del Bosque has to take the blame. Didn't see the writing on the wall, especially for Casillas. Picking the right keeper alone would've made a huge difference.
2nd goal was a shocker, wasn't it.

Not being an especially close follower of the Spanish game, I was surprised that Fabregas didn't even come on as a substutute last night. Have his performances this year really been so ordinary?

Very impressed with Chile though.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Australia have played well but they need to find a couple of decent goal poachers if they really want to progress beyond the group stage next time.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going to be pretty odd if Australia jags a win against the team everyone thought least likely to fold pre-tourney