• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran

James

Cricket Web Owner
15 June 2018
18:00 MSK (UTC+3)
Morocco
Iran
Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg

15 June 2018
21:00 MSK (UTC+3)
Portugal
Spain
Fisht Olympic Stadium, Sochi

20 June 2018
15:00 MSK (UTC+3)
Portugal
Morocco
Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow

20 June 2018
Iran
Spain
Kazan Arena, Kazan

25 June 2018
Iran
Portugal
Mordovia Arena, Saransk

25 June 2018
20:00 KALT (UTC+2)
Spain
Morocco
Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad

Victor Ian

International Coach
Tough gig for Morocco. I need them to beat Iran and one of Portugal and Spain. A long time ago they killed the King of Spain and took over the area. Need them to do something similar here. Then I need no small thing in Australia doing pretty much the same and a lucky draw in the 16 and perhaps my wife and I can finally get a big fight night where we sit on opposite sides of the lounge room, common ground green, but me in the yellow and her in the red.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Could you turn down the Real job?

Fail and you paid up and are made for life anyway and succeed and you are a legend.

Uppercut

Could you turn down the Real job?

Fail and you paid up and are made for life anyway and succeed and you are a legend.
Apparently their top 5 choices turned it down. It's only impossible for Lopetegui to turn down because he knows he's a fairly crap manager and will never get another shot at it.

I get why he did it, but I get why they fired him too. It's incredibly disrespectful. You can't publicly make it crystal clear to the world that you place Real Madrid above Spain, then continue to manage Spain.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haven't other managers done this in the past though (i.e. making it known at the start of a tournament they will be leaving straight after to take up a new post)?

I swear this is what Santini did with France/Spurs at Euro 2004, but not able to look it up atm.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I like is Real knew there would be a backlash from the egomaniac Rubiales but went ahead and did it anyway. And then their players wonder why people don't give them the benefit of the doubt when they injure the opposition's best player in the CL final.

Uppercut

Haven't other managers done this in the past though (i.e. making it known at the start of a tournament they will be leaving straight after to take up a new post)?

I swear this is what Santini did with France/Spurs at Euro 2004, but not able to look it up atm.
It's not really the usual situation though. Normally what happens is that the national FAs don't want to renew their manager's contract until after the tournament in case they bomb. The managers want certainty about their future employment and might not appreciate the lack of confidence shown in them, so they agree to take up jobs elsewhere when their contracts expire.

Spain signed Lopetegui to a new long-term contract a month ago, which was quite a strong statement for the FA to make about their commitment to him. They were never contacted about RM's approach and only found out he was leaving five minutes before it was made public, which was three days before the tournament began. You can totally see why they're pissed off.