• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - Italy, Switzerland, Turkey, Wales

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, 8 teams made for, as the old cliche has it, no easy games.

Italy, the Dutch and ourselves all missed out completely in 84.
Hindsight makes our 1980 performance in an 8 team tourney look less terrible than it was regarded at the time.
Drawing 1-1 with Belgium, losing 1-0 to hosts Italy and beating Spain isn't catastrophic, even if it meant we didn't progress. And I think that only the group winners progressed straight to the final in that one, which is really harsh.

And I'd forgotten about Italy not qualifying in 1984. All the more remarkable as they were WC winners two years previously.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hindsight makes our 1980 performance in an 8 team tourney look less terrible than it was regarded at the time.
Drawing 1-1 with Belgium, losing 1-0 to hosts Italy and beating Spain isn't catastrophic, even if it meant we didn't progress.

And I'd forgotten about Italy not qualifying in 1984.
Definitely our best performance in the 8 team tournaments, low bar as that is.

In fact, that win v Spain was the only one we managed.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely our best performance in the 8 team tournaments, low bar as that is.

In fact, that win v Spain was the only one we managed.
Yup. I think we both know better than to dwell on the abomination that was 1988. And I had forgotten that 1992 only involved eight teams until this cropped up the other day. I suppose that drawing with France and Denmark wasn't a disgrace, or even losing to hosts Sweden. Perhaps it was the nature of the performances in that one.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Denmark '92, made to look good by England and such a rare thing as a German choke

John Faxe Jensen probably cheated a few years at Arsenal out of it too

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Denmark '92, made to look good by England and such a rare thing as a German choke

Yeah, Arsenal probably thought he was a skilful midfielder who was good for a dozen goals per season half-volleyed from the edge of the penalty area. Not quite what happened though.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The red in the Wales game was studs on the foot but a yellow would have fairer. The refs have been giving less cards and the same ref has now given 2 reds. Let’s leave him out of the knockout games.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

The video of Danish backpasses to Schmeichel in the final is a thing of wonder. Been doing the rounds on twitter of late. The last competitive game in Europe where such a thing would have been allowed, possibly?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The video of Danish backpasses to Schmeichel in the final is a thing of wonder. Been doing the rounds on twitter of late. The last competitive game in Europe where such a thing would have been allowed, possibly?
Yeah the rule changed that summer.