• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Sportspersons/athletes of All Time

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
'Greatest athlete' and 'Greatest in their sport' are two different conversations.

For example, I would say Richie McCaw is the greatest rugby union player I have ever seen but he's nowhere near the greatest athlete to ever play rugby union.

If it's the former then this conversation probably warrants the inclusion of someone like Sonny Bill Williams. For tennis and golf probably has to be Scott Draper, aside from playing both those sports professionally, he made it even harder by being left-handed in tennis and a right-handed golfer.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
I love Fed as much as anyone but lets be real, he only gets the tennis nomination because he's a stand-up bloke and consummate professional. There's definitely a nostalgia that comes with reflecting on his career and the grace and class he had on the court.

In reality there are two blokes who not only beat him 1v1 more often than not, but have also bettered his record.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
I love Fed as much as anyone but lets be real, he only gets the tennis nomination because he's a stand-up bloke and consummate professional. There's definitely a nostalgia that comes with reflecting on his career and the grace and class he had on the court.

In reality there are two blokes who not only beat him 1v1 more often than not, but have also bettered his record.
I felt like from Tennis it had to be one of Joker-Fed-Raf or Rod Laver. Laver played in a much earlier era, and lacked in humane longevity of these 3. Among these 3, I must admit that Fed was somewhat of a personal bias of mine..... I don't think there's too much separating them, but I always felt Joker never reached as high as Fed and Raf; and Nadal was too big of a French bully....

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Obviously not athletes but the thread title is sportspeople/athletes and they are very definitely sportspeople.
Seriously, are darts and snookers sports like tennis or cricket or games like chess.... It's a genuine question, or else if games qualify then Kasparov definitely warrants a spot (yeah, over Fischer, Carlsen and Paul Murphy).

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I felt like from Tennis it had to be one of Joker-Fed-Raf or Rod Laver. Laver played in a much earlier era, and lacked in humane longevity of these 3. Among these 3, I must admit that Fed was somewhat of a personal bias of mine..... I don't think there's too much separating them, but I always felt Joker never reached as high as Fed and Raf; and Nadal was too big of a French bully....
C'mon dude, Novak has surpassed them both. All three have favourite slams to beef up their totals

capt_Luffy

International Regular
C'mon dude, Novak has surpassed them both. All three have favourite slams to beef up their totals
Don't know man.... Since retirement of Fed and Nad's decline I hardly feel like Novak has worthy competition. Yes, his longevity is inhumane; but do you feel he's better than Roger?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't know man.... Since retirement of Fed and Nad's decline I hardly feel like Novak has worthy competition. Yes, his longevity is inhumane; but do you feel he's better than Roger?
I do, and I'm a huge Rafa mark. He's gone past them both

Molehill

International Captain
Did Fed have worthy competition before those 2 turned up? Djokovic's record is better than Federer's, one is a nicer bloke, but that's not how it's being measured.

And absolutely Ronnie O Sullivan should be in there. I'll throw in A P McCoy too.