• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Sportspersons/athletes of All Time

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Comparing athletes across various sports isn't always the clearest task to do. Many parameters had been used in the past by various individuals, none with really great success. But anyways, who do you guys consider, like the Top 10-15 athletes/sportspersons of all time? Mine would probably be like (no particular order):

1. Don Bradman
2. Aleksandr Karelin
3. Lionel Messi
4. Wayne Gretzky
5. Gaius Appuleius Diocles
6. Muhammad Ali
7. Michael Phelps
8. Michael Jordan
9. Usain Bolt
10. Jesse Owens
11. Roger Federer
12. Babe Ruth
13. Hakuho Sho
14. Dhyan Chand
15. Tiger Woods

Tried to include athletes every major sports, but wasn't able to include American/Australian football and Rugby due to my vastly limited knowledge on them (aka, no existent knowledge, have heard of Tom Brady). Also no one from Ping Pong, badminton and gymnastics.... Would like to know about the GOATs in them.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
As much as I hate to say it, you have to include the 39 year old dunking on fools in the NBA right now.
LeBron James? So he has surpassed MJ?

Sorry, this Indian ass knows **** about Basketball too.... Have a friend who played nationals and he is a big fan of MJ. He's basically my primary source of knowledge and the reason I watched the few NBA games I did.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Nah, but he should be in the list for greatest athletes. I would also include Bill Russell (the guy in my avvie) and especially Wilt Chamberlain, but not sure how many people even know those names.
I know Chamberlain (Like heard of him) but not Russell. I mean, like including 4 Basketball players in like 15 Greatest athletes.... Don't you think it's flattering a single sport too much? Like for that sole reason I haven't even picked Pelè, Maradona and Di Stefano.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Fair. I'm really just throwing names out for consideration. I'd say Wilt and Lebron make sense because they were/are incredibly gifted physically to the point they could be considered great sportsmen as well as athletes. Kareem is another that I didn't mention for consideration.

Outside of basketball, I'd consider Jahangir Khan.

Ali TT

International Debutant
If we're having a tennis player, it's BJK, Martina or Serena, not Fed, who wasn't even the best of his generation.