• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ODI batsman of all time

The best ODI batsman ever

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How long before we declare ABD the greatest? Averages highest bar RTD and strike rate of 99+

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit unfair smali on a guy who just averaged 96 striking at 144 in the recent world cup and 88 @ 108 in the one before.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not AB's fault of his team can't win the WC. Sachin was considered the greatest ever in ODIs along with Viv even before he won in 2011.

AB is insane, and for me, the top 3 ODI batsmen are AB, Viv and Sachin. He's done things I've never seen any other batsman do, and I might actually be tempted to put him at no.1 He's that good.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah I dont honestly think how anyone could have ever been better than AB... But then again maybe its unfair to compare him to human standards.. :)

watson

Banned
How long before we declare ABD the greatest? Averages highest bar RTD and strike rate of 99+
Viv Richards averaged 47 when every other top 7 batsman averaged 29.

His strike rate was a massive 90 when the overall strike rate for top 7 batsman was 66.

In other words he wasn't that far off being twice as good as his peers depending on how much weight you apply to average V strike rate.

I haven't looked up similar stats for ABdV, but I would be shocked if they were any better.

It would be good if someone could shock me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

His strike rate was a massive 90 when the overall strike rate for top 7 batsman was 66.

In other words he wasn't that far off being twice as good as his peers depending on how much weight you apply to average V strike rate.

I haven't looked up similar stats for ABdV, but I would be shocked if they were any better.

Watch AB bat.. :p

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
yeah I dont honestly think how anyone could have ever been better than AB... But then again maybe its unfair to compare him to human standards.. :)
I am told by older generations that I have missed something special if I have not watched Viv Richards. Think AB de Villiers is making up for that.

Last edited:

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
Unless his career ends REALLY REALLY bad, ABDV should be better than both by that time.

Regardless of that, I don't doubt the ability of people with biased agendas to come up with excuses as to why he is not.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man

All of that says more about his peers than him.

It's not like Richards would be striking at 150 if you threw him in this era

He played the way he wanted to play it, and didn't care about how others did it. Gutsy and courageous, but that doesn't just automatically make him better than every modern batsmen. If you throw the aggressive modern generation batsman into his era, I don't doubt they will still play their natural game.

Flem274*

123/5
kohli getting a bit underrated in here lately. he's the most frightening chaser i've ever seen except maybe his mate dhoni.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
All of that says more about his peers than him.

It's not like Richards would be striking at 150 if you threw him in this era

He played the way he wanted to play it, and didn't care about how others did it. Gutsy and courageous, but that doesn't just automatically make him better than every modern batsmen. If you throw the aggressive modern generation batsman into his era, I don't doubt they will still play their natural game.
But when you're comparing players across era, you have to look at the context. Bradman wouldn't be Bradman if everyone around him averaged 95. It's a fair point to make about Viv's peers because it provides an insight into the state of the game, the rules, the style of play, conditions etc. Every player is a product of his time.