• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ODI batsman of all time

The best ODI batsman ever

• Total voters

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Kohli in ODIs is a few notches higher than Amla and Williamson. Only ABDV can make a good case of being ahead of him now. And he is not human.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
But when you're comparing players across era, you have to look at the context. Bradman wouldn't be Bradman if everyone around him averaged 95. It's a fair point to make about Viv's peers because it provides an insight into the state of the game, the rules, the style of play, conditions etc. Every player is a product of his time.
I don't get this comparison at all. His case is nothing like Bradman's for starters.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But when you're comparing players across era, you have to look at the context. Bradman wouldn't be Bradman if everyone around him averaged 95. It's a fair point to make about Viv's peers because it provides an insight into the state of the game, the rules, the style of play, conditions etc. Every player is a product of his time.
Yes but it's also silly to demand a SR 50% better than the rest in today's day and age to be considered as good as Viv. Doesn't work that way.

I think AB has enough amazing attributes going for him (extraordinary improviser, rapid scoring, 53+ average) that he can be considered in the very very top tier. I also find it funny how the arguments for old timers in relation to modern players seem to change wherever it suits them. Viv in tests is considered one of the best ever, and when someone compares a modern player to him, it's said he was more than just stats. When he's compared with AB in ODIs, the argument then becomes a statistical one because Viv's SR was so far ahead of the rest of his contemporaries. I mean, I think Viv was the best too, but I just find the whole thing disingenuous when you're willing to right off a modern great in ODIs like AB on some statistical grounds while ignoring that just like Viv, he's more than just numbers. His numbers are amazing enough but watching him tear into an attack in the death overs makes it clear very few are capable of what he does so regularly.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
Probably something along lines of him being an SA choker that has never won the world cup...

As far as longevity and quantity of games goes, I don't think anybody will beat Tendulkar's impact in international cricket anytime soon, and that goes for both formats.

But as far as skills go, it might be premature and I might eat my words if AB ends his career really badly, I actually already think AB is a superior ODI player.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Kohli in ODIs is a few notches higher than Amla and Williamson. Only ABDV can make a good case of being ahead of him now. And he is not human.
Why? Of the 3 Kohli gets to bat on the most roads. Overall Amla averages just under 53, Kohli averages almost 51, Williamson averages 48. In the last 3 years however, Williamson has been comfortably the best of them.

Last 3 years (from 24 Oct 2012):

Kohli filtered 2012-2015 75 2938 139* 49.79
Amla filtered 2013-2015 63 2769 159 46.93
Williamson filtered 2012-2015 56 2566 145* 54.59

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Contrary to popular belief I do watch cricket and have seen ABdV bat.

My reply is - watch Viv bat.

Dude, I never saw Sir Viv bat. I am prepared to take the words of the ones who did. I am sure he was special but so is AB. Now AB might be second best to Viv in your opinion but he still is special right? Which is what I said...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't know how anyone can say Amla is better than Kohli in ODIs. I love Amla, but his poor World Cup hurt him.

viriya

International Captain
I don't know how anyone can say Amla is better than Kohli in ODIs. I love Amla, but his poor World Cup hurt him.
I don't think you can pick one over the other atm.. I do think Kohli will end up with the better career though.