• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

greatest fast bowling pair

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Either Curtly and Courtney or Wasim and Waqar.

Although in twenty years time we could be talking about Harmison and Tremlett - they'll go a long way together IMHO.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Alan Donald with anyone bowling from the Other side
Glen Mcgrath/Shane Warne (for the lack of a bast fowler)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Donald and Pollock in the mid/late 90's

The perfect combination of Control and Firepower.. Pollock was sickeningly quick when he first started out..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Barney Rubble said:
Either Curtly and Courtney or Wasim and Waqar.

Although in twenty years time we could be talking about Harmison and Tremlett - they'll go a long way together IMHO.
thats about it for me, cant really separate the two pairs imo.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Donald and Pollock in the mid/late 90's

The perfect combination of Control and Firepower.. Pollock was sickeningly quick when he first started out..
Good call, forgot about them.

When did Pollock's pace disappear? I remember knowing he was deadly quick, but then i didn't watch him for a few years and when I did see him again he was virtually a dobber by comparison. Still a class act, though, but eight years ago you could never imagine Simon Jones smacking him over his head for six, as happened in the winter.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
Good call, forgot about them.

When did Pollock's pace disappear? I remember knowing he was deadly quick, but then i didn't watch him for a few years and when I did see him again he was virtually a dobber by comparison. Still a class act, though, but eight years ago you could never imagine Simon Jones smacking him over his head for six, as happened in the winter.
Ankle problems I think... I remember him hitting Atherton in the head at Centurion and Atherton said it was the quickest delivery he had faced.. Could never imagine Boucher standing up to him back then!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Could never imagine Boucher standing up to him back then!
Wasn't even aware he did it now - obviously he's even more of a dobber than I thought!

Mind you, Gilchrist stood up to Gillespie in the ODIs this year - don't know if that's wicketkeepers getting braver, Dizzy getting slower, or Kevin Pietersen getting more and more intimidating for the opposition! Gilly will be standing up to Lee soon..... :p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
a word for Statham and Trueman
yup. Or even Statham and Tyson in the short time they played together

Others of note that no one has mentioned include Lindwall and Miller, Larwood and Vose, Martin and Chapple...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
backing a yorkie dave ? ;)
as a support bowler for Statham he did ok, although i think he would admit himself most of his wickets came about as a result of the panic caused by the legend at the other end

:p

twctopcat

International Regular
Shahid_afridi said:
who is the best fast bowling pair in your opinion(i hope there is no such thread yet)

mine is waqar and wasim
There is (or was), i think i started it! But who cares its a great one to talk about!

Two W's or Courteney and Curtly for me. Holding and Marshall would have to be up there too.

archie mac

International Coach
Aust

1= Lindwall & Miller
2= Gregory & McDonald
3= Lillee & Thomson

England

1= Richardson & Lockwood
2= Larwood & Voce
3= Trueman & Statham

Sth Afr

1=Adcock & Heine
2=Donald & Pollock (S)
3=Procter & Pollard (P)

Windies

1= Marshall & Holding
2= Walsh & Ambrose
3= Hall & Griffith

N.Z= Hadlee & Chatfield **** = Wasim & Waqar India= Dev & ?