• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

greatest fast bowling pair

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib said:
IMO,these r the five greatest bowling pairs of all time

1.Wasim & Waqar
2.Imran &Wasim
3.Fazal & Khan
4.Imran & Sarfaraz
And
5.Wasim & Shoaib
:laugh: 8-) Pull the other one, mate. It's got bells on

Slifer

International Captain
Marshall and Garner 23 tests 231 wickets ave @ 20+ and SR of 44+ (taken from cricinfo)

twctopcat

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
There's no answer to that - debate over, next question please.
I'll second that, unless people can show anything otherwise.

EDIT: Caddick and Gough win. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Stats for other opening bowlers? They're very impressive (I'm assuming that's the combined stats for the two bowlers in matches in which they have opened?) but not that much better than their normal stats. Marshall and Garner both average under 21 with the ball anyway with excellent strike rates, and I'd be interested to see how Lillee/Thomson, the Ws, Lindwall/Miller etc went statistically.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:
and I'd be interested to see how Lillee/Thomson, the Ws, Lindwall/Miller etc went statistically.
Ambrose & Bishop= Strike rate: 46.93 Average: 18.87

Lindwall & Miller = strike rate: 62.18 Average: 24.22

Akram & Waqar = strike rate: 45.46 Average: 21.92

Donald & Pollock= Strike rate: 50.82 Average: 21.42

Mcgrath & Gillespie=Strike rate: 53.30 Average: 23.15

Ambrose & Walsh=Strike Rate: 54.65 Average: 21.73

The best of all time were Marshall and Garner, had an average of 20.09 and a strike rate of 44.61 probably followed closely by Ambrose/ Bishop and wasim/waqar.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
what is interesting is that wasim/waqar and ambrose/walsh maintained it over a far longer period than garner/marshal.

Specially in the case of the two W's, from 50 odd match they average only 1.8+ greater than marshall/garner and the strike-rate difference is also 1. garner/marshall mainatained their stats for 20 odd games - far less than the W's who also did over a far larger number of years.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think Beleg raises a good point here. One of the major criteria for a "great fast bowling pair" is surely longevity. Marshall and Garner for me were one of several excellent opening bowling pairs within a particular period for the West Indies, but really they got shuffled around a fair amount. There was Roberts and Holding, Holding and Croft, Holding and Garner, Holding and Marshall, Marshall and Garner and so on. With the depth of West Indian bowling (plus the odd injury and so on), they had a lot of resources to call on, and I don't think Marshall and Garner defined the team as the opening bowlers the same way that the Ws or Lillee & Thommo did, as pairs who opened consistently for years and maintained their success. Ambrose and Walsh are definately more "great" as an opening pair for me than Ambrose and Bishop for example, as Bishop's injuries really hurt him as a bowler and they didn't open together for that long.

All those West Indian opening pairs were great of course.

The King

Cricket Spectator
I'm Australian so you would expect me to go for Lillie/Thomson or Lindwall/Miller but I have no doubt that the greatest pair were Wasim/ Waqar.

Choora

State Regular
Storer123 said:
Shoaib is the most overated cricketer of all time. Why is he in the world eleven squad of fourteen. Ntini would be a much better option. He will always bowl unlike Shoaib who bowls when he feels like. He was an absolute disgrase when Pakistan came to Australia.
Actually it was the other way around, the ppl who criticized Shoaib while he was in Australia were actually pure disgrace!!

Shoaib bowled pretty well in Australia even though he had no support from other end , and whatever good work he did was wasted by Pak incompetent batsmen.It was Bob Woomer and Inzi who started criticising Akhter for not reducing his runup, and when he finally did and was less effected he was criticized by some Aussie player for not giving his best.
What is one suppose to do in such a situation? 8-)

godofcricket

State 12th Man
I dont understand why woolmer and Inzamam seem to be criticising Akhtar over the run-up issue, if thats the way he can bowl well then let him do it.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
The King said:
I'm Australian so you would expect me to go for Lillie/Thomson or Lindwall/Miller but I have no doubt that the greatest pair were Wasim/ Waqar.
Your location is down as Derby, so I was expecting you to say Dean and Lungley. :p