• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grand Final - Greatest All-rounder of All Time

Choose TWO of the greatest all rounders of all time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't really see why it's relevant. If anything it justifies Kallis's lower scoring rate because when everyone else was scoring so much faster it was a lot less likely that they'd fail to win the game due to lack of time. The fact that everyone else was scoring with a very low strike rate doesn't exactly make it harder to score at a half-decent rate.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Don't really see why it's relevant. If anything it justifies Kallis's lower scoring rate because when everyone else was scoring so much faster it was a lot less likely that they'd fail to win the game due to lack of time. The fact that everyone else was scoring with a very low strike rate doesn't exactly make it harder to score at a half-decent rate.
Trust me.. I have followed the guy since his first test... He has never really had faster stroking batsmen around him for him to play that role... Maybe now he does but earlier, it was Kirsten, Hudson and then Cullinan and Cronje and Gibbs after him... And excepting perhaps Cullinan, none of them were scoring particularly quickly around that time...

At a time when run rates around the world are on the up and we only have 5 day tests (remember Sir Gary played in 6 day tests too), he tended to score almost criminally slowly... And WAS found out against the better attacks....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Like I said, you're looking at Sobers scoring his runs about 18% faster. It's a pretty marginal difference, all things considered. If they both score a century, Sobers will save about 40 balls. 40 balls won't make the difference between winning and losing.
It might do if you have a team 9 down in the second innings and only have 10 overs or so to dislodge the last wicket...

bagapath

International Captain
Like I said, you're looking at Sobers scoring his runs about 18% faster. It's a pretty marginal difference, all things considered. If they both score a century, Sobers will save about 40 balls. 40 balls won't make the difference between winning and losing.
assuming the batting partner faces roughly the same no of balls, you are talking about 13-14 extra overs kallis would need to reach a hundred, which is one hour of playing time in test cricket. I think it will make a lot of difference between winning and losing.

Keith Miller toook 3.1 wickets/match where as all the great bowlers have atleast 3.9 wickets/match.He also bowled lot less which means he didn't have good stamina.Such a player getting so many votes is beyond my understanding.But it could be because of the majority of aussies on this forum.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Keith Miller toook 3.1 wickets/match where as all the great bowlers have atleast 3.9 wickets/match.He also bowled lot less which means he didn't have good stamina.Such a player getting so many votes is beyond my understanding.But it could be because of the majority of aussies on this forum.
No comments :ph34r:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I didn't vote for Miller but dude... have you read your own signature:
My Top 5 Allrounders Ever:
Imran Khan
Keith Miller
Garry Sobers
Shaun Pollock
Ian Botham
As for Kallis, I can see what Uppercut is saying. Kallis is a brilliant batsman and sure he's not as flamboyant as a Sobers or Richards that is obvious, but I wouldn't call him a selfish Test player at all.

When looking at Kallis the bowler I like looking at his performances against the better batting countries. I wouldn't really class him anything more then useful.

As for Kallis, I can see what Uppercut is saying. Kallis is a brilliant batsman and sure he's not as flamboyant as a Sobers or Richards that is obvious, but I wouldn't call him a selfish Test player at all.

When looking at Kallis the bowler I like looking at his performances against the better batting countries. I wouldn't really class him anything more then useful.
Kallis doesn't make my top 5 because I think

A bowling allrounder>A batting allrounder (Provided there isn't a huge difference in their weaker skills).

Pollock and Sobers made my top 5 in 2007 while the other 3 have been there for ages.

Last edited:

Uppercut

assuming the batting partner faces roughly the same no of balls, you are talking about 13-14 extra overs kallis would need to reach a hundred, which is one hour of playing time in test cricket. I think it will make a lot of difference between winning and losing.
But the batting partner is scoring runs too, at his own rate, so that's an unreasonable doubling of the actual figure. And Kallis's team mates generally scored much quicker than Sobers's, so his slower strike rate was easily covered and became pretty much irrelevant, particularly on the pitches in South Africa which are notorious for bringing results. In Kallis's fourteen year career there's been thirteen draws in test matches in South Africa, out of 75 games.

Not many drawn games would have been results but for Kallis's strike rate. There were games South Africa might have won had Kallis scored a little quicker, but equally there were games South Africa would probably have lost had Kallis not taken time out of the game. Fast scoring rates (slightly) increase the probability of a result, they don't necessarily increase the probability of your team winning. It's a double-edged sword.

Uppercut

It might do if you have a team 9 down in the second innings and only have 10 overs or so to dislodge the last wicket...
That's a pretty specific set of circumstances, but it's worth remembering that it's just as likely that your team will be 9 down in the second innings with 10 more overs to bat out.

Uppercut

Kallis, interestingly, is a threat to any batsman in the world. Look at who he's dismissed most, there's some absolutely great players right at the top. It was pretty noticeable last summer when he nailed KP three times in four matches. I firmly believe you always need to take out the minnow figures to get a player's real stats, and Kallis's are a little more warped that most because he has been excellent against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. But "useful" bowlers don't get a player like Adam Gilchrist out six times. He's a serious all-rounder.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's good to see Sobers still wins allrounder polls despite silly little boys with their slide rules attempting to discredit him.

There is a snag with this type of poll though. The winner of the poll could get 50 votes without being the first choice of anyone. On the other hand someone could get 30 and be the first choice of all 30 and finish second in the poll.

bagapath

International Captain
It's good to see Sobers still wins allrounder polls despite silly little boys with their slide rules attempting to discredit him.
i went for miller and botham because they were more well-rounded for the title. but i never discredited sobers or imran. in fact I am not unhappy to see sobers and imran winning the poll because they were probably the most effective match winners predominantly using their batting and bowling skills respectively and very strongly contributing in the other department even if their performances in both departments did not come together more often as in the case of miller or botham.

There is a snag with this type of poll though. The winner of the poll could get 50 votes without being the first choice of anyone. On the other hand someone could get 30 and be the first choice of all 30 and finish second in the poll.
well I agree with you. but still if someone features among more people's top 2 than another player who features as no.1 in far less no of lists, then the first player is more deserving for the title since this method would probably iron out biases. like if i am biased towards hadlee my second vote would still go to the most deserving cricketer since i am already satisfied with voting for my hero as first choice. also, as you had said yourself earlier this has resulted in more interesting debates than a 75-1-1 result otherwise.

Fusion

Global Moderator
:laugh: Sorry BP, that was hillarious!

slippyslip

U19 12th Man

Good to see people cant read topics. Illiterate much?

The topic is greatest all rounder.

34 average and strike rate of 92.

Please explain.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Please explain.
I've long since given up trying to explain the complexities of cricket to half-wit number crunchers.
It's all on the forum somewhere if you can work out how to use the search function.

Uppercut

Please explain.
Generally it's accepted that there was a decent period of six or seven years when he really was an excellent bowler. The flip-side being that, evidently, for the rest of his career he was a very poor bowler.

That's it, really. When you spend six years being a world-class batsman and very good bowler, it's enough for most people. Sobers has a lot of fans though, so you'll find any number of extra excuses for his poor overall figures.

bagapath

International Captain
It is official, now. According to CW, Sir Garfield Sobers is the greatest all-round cricket ever. Imran Khan is a distant second. Keith Miller is in the third position. Thanks for voting in the polls, guys. Of course, the debates can still go on.

Last edited: