• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future ****Stars**** of Australian Cricket

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
The Argonaut said:
Bowling in the 120s isn't good enough at test level and that was the reason that India punished him.
His problem against India was that he didn't swing the ball. Pedro Collins was very effective against Australia - albeit in 1-dayers - bowling left-arm swing at around 128-130kph. If it's accurate and you can mix the in-swing with balls angling across the right handers, it should be reasonably effective at any level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
viewnut said:
matthew innes, like nathan bracken, is a disgrace to the left armer club. i dont care how many first class wickets or watever the two pie throwers have done, but a true left armer doesnt bowl tripe like either of them. wasim, allan davidson, mullally, sobers, now there are true left arm exponents, bamboozling players with late inswing and deft seam movement away to slips. bracken doesnt know how to and IMO will never "regain" that ability to swing the ball back into the right handers, because his action has been rooted since his days when on contract for bankstown green shield. innes is the same, his action is rooted and all he can do is drift the ball from leg stump onto the pads n get smacked to the fence, like i saw him one day in an ing cup match against the canberra comets. these two are pitiful and im tired of hearing about how they should be playing for australia or any other test nation if theyu could. we saw how tendulkar n sehwag tore bracken apart when they came out here in 2003/04, he cant bowl wit the old ball and tendulkar showed why he should go back and play with balmain n get msacked around by 15 yr olds till he learns to master the art of left arm swing bowling!
OK... Alan Mullally as good as Inness, let alone Davidson and Wasim Akram...
Alan Mullally, funnily, is exactly the same as Bracken (and Charl Willoughby, too, for that matter) in that he can swing the ball round corners at the domestic level but somehow never really managed to in Tests. And hence he was very, very disappointing.
Superb ODI bowler, of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Argonaut said:
Have you seen him bowl. I think he shows some promise and has had a good season getting 45 wickets at 29, something Inness hasn't done for a while. There would be no doubt that Griffith would be ahead of Inness in the pecking order of fast bowlers at the moment.

Inness needs to improve enough just to get into the Victorian side on a more regular basis before he can come into calculations of playing test cricket. Maybe he should go to England where he could easily make a county side. :D :D :D
Anyone, but anyone, would be delighted to have him... and I certainly wouldn't turn-down the chance for him to be playing for England in 4 years, either.
As for Griffith - wow, he got 45 wickets. Sorry - the 29 is the relevant figure.
It's far better to get 30 wickets at 25 than 45 at 29.
How on Earth he managed to get an average under 30 is amazing enough.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Argonaut said:
I wouldn't call taking less than 3 wickets a match setting the house on fire. During that season he was outbowled by 3 other Victorian bowlers - McDonald, Wise and Lewis.
And being outbowled by McDonald and Wise says something.
How on Earth they can ever outbowl anyone is beyond me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
I agree that everyone takes silence for assent, but if i want to post let me what r u goin to do, i dont see anyone else aggravating over this mate, u need calm down and please dont let us now get carried away with no stupid arguement with here to talk cricket so lets keep it that way
It's just stupidly predictable whenever I see a long post that has just argued with me being quoted by you I know exactly what your response is going to say.
There's no need for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
matthew inness' problems have stemmed from when he got injured and then had glandular fever during the 2003/04 season, after running through the indian batting order. his replacement allan wise came in and did exceedingly well, and since then inness hasn't had a solid run in the team, coupled with the disgruntlement he showed for being dropped for the pura cup final, when they brought in brendan joseland (a batting all-rounder) to ensure that they wouldn't be bowled out twice, which was the only way they could lose. and when he has he returned to the side he has not looked nearly as threatening as what he was beforehand. hopefully he can have a fantastic year next year, either with victoria or interstate, as he's only 26-27 from memory.
Indeed, I've been saying all year that this "not good enough any more" stuff is a quite stupid exaggeration, when all it's been is an exceptionally unfortunate combination of circumstances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
An average of 29 wouldn't give 800 8-)
Nope, but as you know a team of bowlers averaging 29 will regularly concede 600 or so, which, also, won't win that many matches.
400 followed by 200, or so. And it'll be more than that sometimes, less on others.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
when? i didn't know you got ING cup matches in england :p
We don't get them live. We do, however, see very brief bits and pieces, including from Australian domestic games.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Nope, but as you know a team of bowlers averaging 29 will regularly concede 600 or so, which, also, won't win that many matches.
Firstly I don't know that.

Secondly a side scoring 600 over 2 innings won't win many games at all.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Anyone, but anyone, would be delighted to have him... and I certainly wouldn't turn-down the chance for him to be playing for England in 4 years, either.
As for Griffith - wow, he got 45 wickets. Sorry - the 29 is the relevant figure.
It's far better to get 30 wickets at 25 than 45 at 29.
How on Earth he managed to get an average under 30 is amazing enough.
Very good figures considering that he plays half his games at Bellerive Oval.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
social said:
Very good figures considering that he plays half his games at Bellerive Oval.
Tassie seamer Griffiths? Coming to play as pro at Bacup (dad's side of the family's home town) in the Lancashire League this summer... maybe I'll be able to catch a look.