• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future ****Stars**** of Australian Cricket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
is there anyone in world cricket who you don't rate, aussie?
Is there anyone in Australia who you don't rate would be a more appropriate question, I feel.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
He should be a very good acquisition.

To me, he has the makings of a Paul Reiffel type bowler - sharp without being express, good seam position, accurate with good stamina. Sometimes, he doesnt look much but he keeps coming and seems to have a good temperament

Time will tell if he can take the next step but he has all the makings of being a very good 3rd seamer without being a game breaker.
Griffith, accurate! :laugh::lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
possibly because the conditions in domestic cricket have assisted him in doing so?
and i dont think bracken has been particularly brilliant at the domestic level either.
Well of course he was this season, but even when he previously was averaging in the 29-30 bracket, he was still described as a "swing bowler".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
hehehe, well at this stage yes, but ya never know what the future holds for bracken he has got potential
Of course he has, but he certainly did not have when picked.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Richard said:
Is there anyone in Australia who you don't rate would be a more appropriate question, I feel.
i'll have to get back to you on that one has well mate

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Richard said:
Of course he has, but he certainly did not have when picked.
well if he didn't have potential when he was first picked, i dont think the australian selectors would have picked him. As a matter of fact I dont think the australian selectors pick players who dont have potential

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
well if he didn't have potential when he was first picked, i dont think the australian selectors would have picked him. As a matter of fact I dont think the australian selectors pick players who dont have potential
I do, because all sorts of selectors make all sorts of mistakes.
Bracken was very clearly a rubbish First-Class bowler when picked, even if he was good in the limited-overs format.
However it does seem he's now rather better than he was last year... whether he'll get another Test though I can't help doubting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
600 runs in this day and age isn't a great deal, and won't see sides winning that many games.
It's a great deal if you've got good bowlers.
Of course, if you've got a load of bowlers with averages in the 30s, it's not enough.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Griffith, accurate! :laugh::lol:
If you had seen him play you would ........ OH, that's right you havent.

And Bellerive Oval is consistently the flattest wicket in Australia. If you had seen cricket played on it ........ Oh, I'm sorry, you havent 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Richard said:
I do, because all sorts of selectors make all sorts of mistakes.
Bracken was very clearly a rubbish First-Class bowler when picked, even if he was good in the limited-overs format.
However it does seem he's now rather better than he was last year... whether he'll get another Test though I can't help doubting.
he is improving all the time, with his performances this season in the pura cup he has put his name up for the fifth bowling spot on the ashes tour which for me was secured for Shaun Tait, i do think in the future he can get back intot he australian test side. For me Bracken earlier carrer is very similar to Kasprowicz in his earlier days, both ahve stuggled to impress in the early part of their test carrers, both had fair performaces in ODI early on and were in an out of the aussie setup, both weren't rated highly early on but has we see from Kasper presently good solid performances for queensland and over here in England matured him into a excellent fast bowler, i tend to feel a similar thing could happen to Bracken

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
If you had seen him play you would ........ OH, that's right you havent.

And Bellerive Oval is consistently the flattest wicket in Australia. If you had seen cricket played on it ........ Oh, I'm sorry, you havent 8-)
I haven't? Really? You know what I've watched, do you? Because I've told you every single cricket match I've ever watched?
No, you don't. I've watched plenty of games at Bellerive and there are some flatties there, but no flatter than a flat pitch anywhere else. And equally there are some that help the bowlers.
No, I've not seen Griffith bowl, but I do know that accurate bowlers don't go for 3.42-an-over in First-Class-cricket without bowling fairly inaccurately.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
he is improving all the time, with his performances this season in the pura cup he has put his name up for the fifth bowling spot on the ashes tour which for me was secured for Shaun Tait, i do think in the future he can get back intot he australian test side. For me Bracken earlier carrer is very similar to Kasprowicz in his earlier days, both ahve stuggled to impress in the early part of their test carrers, both had fair performaces in ODI early on and were in an out of the aussie setup, both weren't rated highly early on but has we see from Kasper presently good solid performances for queensland and over here in England matured him into a excellent fast bowler, i tend to feel a similar thing could happen to Bracken
Bracken has always been more accurate than Kasprowicz was in the early part of his career, however Kasprowicz always found a way to take wickets the way Bracken hasn't before this season.
As for Shaun Tait, I can assure you that the way he bowled in England will have everyone licking their lips for the prospect of him playing in The Ashes. Bracken, who toured in 2001, would be a much better pick from an Australian POV.
Nothing better than the prospect of Lee and Tait to back-up Gillespie or Kasprowicz... then MacGill to come on next... The Ashes would practically be in the bag. :happy:

social

Richard said:
I haven't? Really? You know what I've watched, do you? Because I've told you every single cricket match I've ever watched?
No, you don't. I've watched plenty of games at Bellerive and there are some flatties there, but no flatter than a flat pitch anywhere else. And equally there are some that help the bowlers.
No, I've not seen Griffith bowl, but I do know that accurate bowlers don't go for 3.42-an-over in First-Class-cricket without bowling fairly inaccurately.
So the fact that Michael Bevan broke the all-time first-class run record by playing at Bellerive this season means nothing.

And maybe Griffith bowled well enough (as indicated by his wicket return) that the captain was willing to sacrifice a few runs in order to maintain more fieldsmen in catching positions. Unless you had watched the matches, you'd never know.

social

Richard said:
Bracken has always been more accurate than Kasprowicz was in the early part of his career, however Kasprowicz always found a way to take wickets the way Bracken hasn't before this season.
As for Shaun Tait, I can assure you that the way he bowled in England will have everyone licking their lips for the prospect of him playing in The Ashes. Bracken, who toured in 2001, would be a much better pick from an Australian POV.
Nothing better than the prospect of Lee and Tait to back-up Gillespie or Kasprowicz... then MacGill to come on next... The Ashes would practically be in the bag. :happy:
Shaun Tait is early 20s and might have improved since last season as indicated by his outstanding domestic season.

Kaspa, as indicated by his returns in NZ, should already have been replaced by Lee.

MacGill has the best strike-rate of any spinner since 1900.

You're right! The Ashes are in the bag. :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Richard said:
ahhh mate u talking about that little stint he had at durham, i dont read too much into that he has very well in in the Pura cup(the most challenging domestic 4 day competion in world cricket) and coming to the ashes would be a good learning experience for him. Come on Rich u making Magilla sound quite poor we all know in late august and september wickets over here become conductive for spin so he could be very dangerous alongside warne if picked. But i'm an English fan by heart richard just like you but the australians r my favourite team, everytime an ashes has come about since 97 i cant support neither side, but if i were to be honest and u should too mate, its goin to be pretty though for England to win this Ashes series, i would say a better chance down under next year before the world cup

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Batsmen being run-out?
Do you know how infrequently that occurs in Test-match-cricket?
Well Clarke got run out in the current test, and he just ran out Lou Vincent. So, I guess it's not that uncommon!