• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fringe Aussie fringe Players who would excel in other teams..

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Until you look at his figures over more recent times (such as when he actually became fit to bowl)

I believe in 2004 it was something like over 50 with the bat and under 25 with the ball.
He had an excellent 2004. And I would never suggest he wasn't up to test standard. In fact i'd suggest hes "a very good test player".

But I certainly don't think he would be an automatic choice in the current Aussie Top test side. If he were an Australian, I would have thought he'd be a player on the Fringe overtaking the likes of Shane Watson carrying the drinks.

I mean seriously, who would you drop for Flintoff in the top current Aussie side if all players were fit? We are talking test matches now.I'm sure you wouldn't drop any of their top 6 batsmen so who of the bowlers would it be Mcgrath? Gillespie? Kasprowicz ? or maybe Warne?

Having said that I would think he would make the Aust oneday team.

Flintoff is a good player, but massively overhyped...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
I don't think anyone is disputing that Flintoff had a good 2004.
I was pointing out how the career averages were misleading as to his current performance level.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
But I certainly don't think he would be an automatic choice in the current Aussie Top test side. If he were an Australian, I would have thought he'd be a player on the Fringe overtaking the likes of Shane Watson carrying the drinks.
The current make up of that side doesn't call for an all rounder as it has the great bowlers.

When 1 or more of them fall off, then I could easily see them finding room for him (hypothetically)

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I was pointing out how the career averages were misleading as to his current performance level.
And that's where PwC comes in! I don't know if that's relevant here, I just remember you talking about Flintoff and the PwC ratings recently.

Zinzan

marc71178 said:
The current make up of that side doesn't call for an all rounder as it has the great bowlers.

When 1 or more of them fall off, then I could easily see them finding room for him (hypothetically)
I disagree. Flintoff may be a good allrounder, but he's just not good enough at either discipline (batting or bowling) individually to make the Aussie. England sure, New Zealand sure but not quite good enough to make the Aust test side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good, but not as good as the Aussie four.
Easily better than the next-in-line, of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
So you say he would not be able to crack a game as an opener is Zimbabwe or Bangladesh?
Please note for future reference: when I refer to "Test sides" I am not referring to Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.
No-one in their right mind would say they have the right to be playing Test-cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
What about Virender Sehwag? He isn't really an opener, but to date he has been pretty successfull opening (admittley with some luck), Justin Langer started his career as a number 3 and I believe he still does when he plays a rare game for WA, but opens and has been very successfull as an opener.
Note the "hardly anyone", not the "no-one".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
thierry henry said:
lmao. You've got to be taking the ****. As if Hopes or Thornley could do the things Razzaq does.
To say that about Mahmood is something close to fair enough - massively overrated player - but Razzaq since 2000\01 has been a minor sensation, and has single-handedly turned innings on their heads with the bat. For anyone to compare mediocre State all-rounders to him is quite ridiculous.
Declined with the ball in the same period though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Until you look at his figures over more recent times (such as when he actually became fit to bowl)

I believe in 2004 it was something like over 50 with the bat and under 25 with the ball.
Flintoff since summer 2003 with the bat: 37 innings, 1505 runs at 43 exactly. Before this poor series it was 30 innings, 1369 runs at 48.89.
Flintoff since Galle 2003\04 with the ball: 61 wickets at 26.06 (before The Wanderers it was 58 wickets at 25.06).
But to blame his terrible record prior to December 2003 (43 wickets at 49.95) on lack of fitness (in 4-and-a-half years!!!! And 26 matches!!!!! And he was unfit all the time?????) is folly. Especially given the number of times he's bowled when clearly not fit in the last year.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Or you could read what I said.

He himself said that up to about 2 years ago he wasn't bowling at all with a settled action because of injuries.

Of course, since you know more about him than him himself you knew that though (!)

Zinzan

Richard said:
Flintoff since summer 2003 with the bat: 37 innings, 1505 runs at 43 exactly. Before this poor series it was 30 innings, 1369 runs at 48.89.
Flintoff since Galle 2003\04 with the ball: 61 wickets at 26.06 (before The Wanderers it was 58 wickets at 25.06).
But to blame his terrible record prior to December 2003 (43 wickets at 49.95) on lack of fitness (in 4-and-a-half years!!!! And 26 matches!!!!! And he was unfit all the time?????) is folly. Especially given the number of times he's bowled when clearly not fit in the last year.
It never stops does it ....That is, the excuses for, and the fudging of Flintoff's stats to talk him up. This could apply to nearly every cricketer in the history of the game ....

e.g ..such and such was not fit during that series so lets remove that series from his test record.Or Jo Bloggs broke up with his wife in that series so he wasn't up to it emotionally. Or, he was too young when he started etc etc

With regard to Flintoff.....I've just about heard them all. I mentioned on numerous occasions now the way Flintoff fans fudge his stats to talk him up. You can't have it both ways.

I'm sorry Flintoff fans....You need to Face facts. The unfortunate reality(for u) is that history judges a test cricketer on his FULL career stats. Not the last 12 months and not taking into consideration that the player started to young etc etc.

In the same way us (new zealand) fans, have to face facts that despite the fact we like and rate Vettori, we have to except he is not one of the "great-test players" around at the moment. he may be a good cricketer, but not one of the greats. His test record simply isn't good enough yet.

Otherwise almost every test cricketers stats could be manipulated as well...
For example I've mentioned already Chris Cairns started his cricket too early, he had an amazing run of different injuries throughout his career. He only played 62 tests. His last 30 tests Read.....

M Runs HS Ave 100s 50s wickets B/b Ave 5w 10w
30 1909 158 41.50 4 10 121 7/27 26.03 9 3

The above record in his last 30 tests is very impressive...but has been fudged (by me) and had he had the same averages of (41 with the bat) and (26 with the ball) thru his whole career it would have been amazing !!

The reality though is that Cairns average in his career was 33 with the bat and 28 with the ball. That is the record that he will be ultimately judged on when history looks back at the test career of Chris Cairns.

Flintoffs record will no-doubt improve. At present though his full test career shows a batting ave of 31 and a bowling ave of 36. If he (though its unlikely) never played test cricket again, that is the Test record that history would look back on, not his 12 month period of 2004.

Sorry to keep harping on about this point, but It keeps happening. I acknowledge that he has improved a lot as a cricketer from the Flintoff of old, but he is simply not one of the "great test players in the world" at the moment. ODI's yes, Tests no. He simply isn't in the class of test cricketers as Lara, Mcgrath, Tendulkar, Dravid, Warne, Kallis etc etc to name a few.

And the comparisons with all-time greats such as Botham, Hadlee, Imran etc etc is just a joke....As a test playwer he's not even on the same plane as the above.

Has their ever been a more Overhyped and overated (TEST) player??

C_C

International Captain
Flintoff has been quiete good of late. but overall he is a very mediocre cricketer so far.
You cannot just take the highs of a player...if we did, Imran Khan would blast Sobers outta the ballpark as an allrounder ....the highs must always be balanced with the lows.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The reason for looking at the recent portion is that he is still continuing, and if he can maintain that form his numbers will be very impressive by his career end.

As for the bowling, I think it is legitimate to point out that for the first 20 Tests or something of his career he was simply not fit to bowl with a consistent action. When he finally got clear of that, and was able to work on his action, the numbers have dropped.

It's a bit like an anti-Brett Lee in a way. Pre-injury his numbers were awesome, but since it they've been woeful.

Zinzan

C_C said:
Flintoff has been quiete good of late. but overall he is a very mediocre cricketer so far.
You cannot just take the highs of a player...if we did, Imran Khan would blast Sobers outta the ballpark as an allrounder ....the highs must always be balanced with the lows.

Exactly ...If we did it with Bradman, his test average would be around 206.53 :p

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Has anybody missed out Jamie Cox......although with mixed form he would of made moist international xis apart from austrlia....he was also a great cpatain for somerset (apart from the 2002 season)......Quality batsmen that would of got into any team in the top 5 in the order

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
zinzan12 said:
He had an excellent 2004. And I would never suggest he wasn't up to test standard. In fact i'd suggest hes "a very good test player".

I mean seriously, who would you drop for Flintoff in the top current Aussie side if all players were fit? We are talking test matches now.I'm sure you wouldn't drop any of their top 6 batsmen so who of the bowlers would it be Mcgrath? Gillespie? Kasprowicz ? or maybe Warne?

Having said that I would think he would make the Aust oneday team.

Flintoff is a good player, but massively overhyped...
I agree that Flintoff is overrated.

However, he is the one Englishman I would guarantee a place in the Australian team.

The rationale is simple.

Australia plays 4 bowlers in normal conditions - 2 all-time greats, 1 top-shelf test bowler, and a bowler any country would be proud to have as back-up.

On most occasions that Australia gets into trouble in Test matches it is because our bowlers tire as we have absolutely no backup in the team (look at results late in series, in back-to-back test matches and in follow-on situations as evidence). This will happen more often as they get older.

Flintoff is a quality player.

He would average 30-40 batting at 6 or 7 and take many useful wickets.

IMO, he is a ready made replacement for Darren Lehman.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
social said:
I agree that Flintoff is overrated.

However, he is the one Englishman I would guarantee a place in the Australian team.

The rationale is simple.

Australia plays 4 bowlers in normal conditions - 2 all-time greats, 1 top-shelf test bowler, and a bowler any country would be proud to have as back-up.

On most occasions that Australia gets into trouble in Test matches it is because our bowlers tire as we have absolutely no backup in the team (look at results late in series, in back-to-back test matches and in follow-on situations as evidence). This will happen more often as they get older.

Flintoff is a quality player.

He would average 30-40 batting at 6 or 7 and take many useful wickets.

IMO, he is a ready made replacement for Darren Lehman.
Couple of interesting points there.

I'm inclined to agree that Fred is the only Englishman that would be guaranteed a postion in the OZ team; although Strauss for Clarke or current-form Hayden would be a fair swap I'd reckon.

With regards to Oz playing only 4 bowlers, you have to wonder why with Gilly in the team; he's surely a top-6 batter if ever there was one?! Playing the extra batter is essentially defensive & could be shortening McGrath's, Dizzy's or Warne's career.