• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Forgotten Players

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's up with Graeme Swann? Decent domestic record and yet completely ignored since he toured South Africa (?) a few years back.

dinu23

International Debutant
I think he's in the selectors mind. he toured SL with the England A team, so did O shah.

howardj

International Coach
What ever happened to Adrian Griffith? Surely the most awkward looking batsman ever to play Test Cricket, and one of the worst to come out of West Indies cricket.

Tastigersfan

Cricket Spectator
Link said:
Ed Smith
Ian Blackwell (scored a big hundred today)
James Kirtley
Chris Schofield
Richard Johnson (injury ridden)
Rikki Clarke
James Troughton (suposed to be the next big thing)
Anthony McGrath
Richard Dawson (good season last year)
Owais Shah

to name a few
Their is a rumour going around that James Kirtley has sent videos of his action to the pro baseball clubs in the US and Japan and they were most impressed with his pitching action against South Africa a couple of years ago. :laughing:

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
On the batters paradise at taunton. Don't know what to make of him when he scores like this, i immediately think s*ite bowling.
It was a batters paradise, with short boundaries, although the bowling was okay, and he said himself it was better than he expected to me (although he would)... I'd say it was worth a slower 100 against a good county attack

Mr Mxyzptlk

howardj said:
What ever happened to Adrian Griffith? Surely the most awkward looking batsman ever to play Test Cricket, and one of the worst to come out of West Indies cricket.
He played very well in New Zealand, so that's extremely unfair. Adrian Griffith will always be criticized as a poor player because he of how he looked at the crease combined with his lack of runs in Tests. For example, Chanderpaul could score a million runs at domestic level, but if he averaged in the mid20s in Tests, he would probably be called a terrible batsman.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dinu23 said:
I think he's in the selectors mind. he toured SL with the England A team, so did O shah.
I can't see Shah getting in the England team in the near future to be honest.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Adrian Griffith will always be criticized as a poor player because he of how he looked at the crease combined with his lack of runs
Sorry thats going in my sig... Hahaha :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Sorry thats going in my sig... Hahaha :D
Stick "in Tests" in there at the end and I think I've got a point. Can't help the pedantry though. :p

Oh, and you do not want to start the whole "I'll quote you in my sig" thing with me. You have been warned. :cool:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Stick "in Tests" in there at the end and I think I've got a point. Can't help the pedantry though. :p

Oh, and you do not want to start the whole "I'll quote you in my sig" thing with me. You have been warned. :cool:
Hehe, why not Liam..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
Hehe, why not Liam..
The downside of my plot for revenge is that I now have to read the majority of your posts... :dry:

I'm rather proud of the quote actually. Not only is it ingenuity in wit and sarcasm (albeit a typo), but I'm now one of the most popular names on the forum. :p :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I can't see Shah getting in the England team in the near future to be honest.
Maybe not the Test side but i can see him getting into the ODI side if some players don't step up and he has a good season in the National League.

howardj

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He played very well in New Zealand, so that's extremely unfair. Adrian Griffith will always be criticized as a poor player because he of how he looked at the crease combined with his lack of runs in Tests
Yeah, lack of runs does generally mean that you're a poor player!

Mr Mxyzptlk

howardj said:
Yeah, lack of runs does generally mean that you're a poor player!
No, lack of Test runs means you failed at Test level. Graeme Hick was by no means a poor player. Daren Ganga is not a poor player. They're Test failures, but not at all poor batsmen.

howardj

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
No, lack of Test runs means you failed at Test level. Graeme Hick was by no means a poor player. Daren Ganga is not a poor player. They're Test failures, but not at all poor batsmen.
Obviously it depends on the yardstick one uses. I mostly watch international cricket, and judge players according to how they perform on that stage. You could go on forever....a player who fails in English FC cricket, but kicks butt in League cricket, is not necessarily a bad batsman, but just a failure at FC level.

Mr Mxyzptlk

howardj said:
Obviously it depends on the yardstick one uses. I mostly watch international cricket, and judge players according to how they perform on that stage. You could go on forever....a player who fails in English FC cricket, but kicks butt in League cricket, is not necessarily a bad batsman, but just a failure at FC level.
A batsman such as Adrian Griffith (and Hick and Ganga for that matter) have shown what they can do (positives) at the highest level though. They may not have shown it consistently, but the evidence was there on occasion. That, in my mind, proves such players CAN bat. They just don't always do so.

howardj

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
A batsman such as Adrian Griffith (and Hick and Ganga for that matter) have shown what they can do (positives) at the highest level though. They may not have shown it consistently, but the evidence was there on occasion. That, in my mind, proves such players CAN bat. They just don't always do so.
Yeah, it proves they can bat, but still they are poor players, in the context of Test cricket, which - as I stated above - is the yardstick I (and quite a few other casual observers) use to judge players.

Granted, you do have to be extraordinary to reach that level and post even one decent score. However, if you average below 35, you are, on balance, in the context of Test cricket, a poor player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Maybe not the Test side but i can see him getting into the ODI side if some players don't step up and he has a good season in the National League.
Where exactly would he fit in?

6 batsmen - Trescothick, Strauss, Vaughan, Pietersen, Flintoff, Collingwood then a keeper.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Where exactly would he fit in?

6 batsmen - Trescothick, Strauss, Vaughan, Pietersen, Flintoff, Collingwood then a keeper.
Collingwood and Vaughan aren't that much infront of him, if Vaughan up to playing ODI then i'll eat my computer. The guy is useless in that form, if it wasn't for his captaincy he would and should have been dropped a long time ago.