• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For Australians

Do you believe Muttiah Muralitharan throws, in any guise?

• Total voters

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Either way, a tally thus far...

Yes: 11 (Andrew Garven, Sean Ehlers, bond21, Cameron Burge, cameeel, Julian87, Laurrz, Malleeboy, Nath Patrick, sideshowtim, The_Bunny)

No: 16 (burr, irfan, NUFAN, Greg Thomas, Speersy, Jack McNamara, Andy Cameron, Eclipse, Tim Whelan, Rob Cribb, Dan Smith, Sean Fuller, KaZoH0lic, Corey Taylor, David Hoitink)

Don't care either way: 1 (Kyle Wright)

More to come hopefully...
Honestly, that's just taking using members' real names to the extreme!

And when using my real name on the forum, I'm like The Fonz - either The Fonz or Fonzie, but never The Fonzie. So, either Kyle or Wright, but not both together.

Fiery

Banned
I'm not sure why Fiery cares so much actually, not like it's his poll or anything. Probably best if I didn't vote but meh, who cares?
The more non-Aussies who vote the longer it'll take me to get the results I was looking for, but that's it - I'll get them.

Is a bit odd I must admit that Fiery seems so concerned. :huh:
I'm just interested in the results of an accurate survey of Australians only. Is that really strange behaviour...sheessh?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's not - it's very interesting, AFAIC, to see whether Slater's perception is true, though obviously CW is hardly the best place to test this.
What I'm saying is that "is Murali a chucker" is a pointless question these days, because obviously either way he's been accepted by the powers that be in international cricket. "Do Australians think Murali is a chucker" is a different question.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Best comment on the matter IMO.

The power of the umpire has been taken away, so when he acatually does break the law (if he does) there is no way of patrolling it.
Right, that's essentially the problem I have with the current laws. Frankly, I don't care what precise degree of flexion X or Y bowler has when tested in a lab situation or even in a match. The chucking laws, much like a lot of the other subjective, interpretive laws in cricket, have to be designed in such a way that they can be enforced by an on-field umpire.

For instance, in LBW decisions, the umpire is sometimes called on to decide whether or not the batsman "attempted to play the ball". That's clearly a subjective call and cannot be proven by any sort of scientific analysis, yet umpires make it in basically every match. Chucking should be treated in the same way. As it is, it is a joke of a law, and utterly unenforcable. No bowler will EVER be called for chucking, no matter how blatant, until the law is changed, and bowlers that do chuck even under the letter of the current law will be able to do so and influence matches. Witness England losing a test to Pakistan, heavily influenced by a bowler later decided to have been cheating in that match. How are England to be compensated for the umpire's inability to enforce the laws on the field and stop said bowler from bowling and taking wickets?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am I the only one who doesn't know that the "Dasa Option" is?

Incidentally, agree with PEWS