• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For Australians

Do you believe Muttiah Muralitharan throws, in any guise?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The power of the umpire has been taken away, so when he acatually does break the law (if he does) there is no way of patrolling it.
The point of the scientific testing was to prove that the umpires couldn't patrol it either.

Your last sentence is right; there's no way to patrol it in real time at all and never has been.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Have wasted a fair portion of my life on the issue, and believe his off-spinner to be absolutely fine, but doosra dubious and top-spinner even moreso.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I think he throws it but i dont really care, its not like it makes him unplayable or anything. The thing i do worry about is kids trying to copy him and chucking it quite badly.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I voted yes here, because I think his doosra is questionable at times.

But, as I have previously said, even if he chucked every ball, he's allowed to play so those idiots who give him a ard time should just get over it.

If he breaks Warne's record here, I will stand up and applaud him. A great bowler, imo.

Nevertheless, is it not time that we started to place a question mark against his record, on the same basis that so many are prepared to place one on Lillee's in the subcontinent?

I mean, if it's good enough for DK not to be among the top echelon/ an all time great because of 4 tests on the subcontinent and a poor record in them, when does Murali get placed under the same scrutiny given his, frankly horrible record in Australia?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To an extent I agree with Prince EWS, however the fact that they have changed the rules to accomodate Murali means that personally whatever tally he ends up with will mean very little in my eyes.
I agree with most of these sentiments, but IMO he throws 100%. They changed the rules for him which i still can not fathom.
That's what irks me the most about this debate, the claim that the rules were changed just for Murali; they were changed for every single bowler except Ramnaresh Sarwan, all of whom were throwing it according to the old rules.

As for the question, agree with Prince, but, as he said, the people voting and posting on CW are not your average Australian cricket fan.

archie mac

International Coach
I voted yes here, because I think his doosra is questionable at times.

But, as I have previously said, even if he chucked every ball, he's allowed to play so those idiots who give him a ard time should just get over it.

If he breaks Warne's record here, I will stand up and applaud him. A great bowler, imo.

Nevertheless, is it not time that we started to place a question mark against his record, on the same basis that so many are prepared to place one on Lillee's in the subcontinent?

I mean, if it's good enough for DK not to be among the top echelon/ an all time great because of 4 tests on the subcontinent and a poor record in them, when does Murali get placed under the same scrutiny given his, frankly horrible record in Australia?
I think even Lillee might have struggled on some of those flat pitches they are throwing up atm

Fiery

Banned
If this poll is supposed to be restricted to Aussies then why have people who are not Aussies voted in it? e.g, PhoenixFire and Richard himself

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
heres the real question-- how did Murali get through the grades/domestic scene in Sri Lanka with out been pulled up in the Sri Lanka domestic scene... why didnt their officials/coaches team opponents question his action, the cricket laws at that time would have classed his action as chucking.. did Sri Lanka (officials) see the bigger picture?

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If this poll is supposed to be restricted to Aussies then why have people who are not Aussies voted in it? e.g, PhoenixFire and Richard himself

It could be that Richard wanted to drag up this tired old chestnut that's been done to death but knew he faced the wrath of some members if he did so. He therefore atttempted to hide behind a slightly different slant knowing full well that everyone would join in anyway. He would be able to cover himself by saying it wasn't his fault that it wasn't only Australians that responded.
(As you can tell Fiery, I've probably put waaaaaaaaay too much thought into your question)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I voted for the Dasa option; why Sam (and other non-Aussies) voted I don't know, but it's not a massive problem TBH, I know who's an Aussie and who's not. There are also people who've posted their views without clicking on the vote.

Either way - the results and the posts interest me, greatly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Different issue, but yes, if he gets nothing again in Bellerive it will begin to be an unfortunate question-mark. I sincerely hope he takes a bag.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Acording to the laws of the game Murali does not chuck and I'm perfectly comfortable with that, but by the traditional definition of the word he does not "bowl" either.

bond21

Banned
Muralidaran blatantly throws.

The ICC changed the rules to allow the doosra to be bowled which is absolutely ridiculous.

Fiery

Banned
I'd say that on CW this trend is far less obvious than he suggests. But I'm interested - interested enough to take the risk. Hopefully this might be doable without the usual descent into the usual crap, and with no C_C around I'm filled with a microcosm of hope. For the many anti-Murali-is-a-chucker brigade - myself firmly amongst said ranks - I'd ask that you resist the temptation. If someone makes a "he's blatantly a chucker, I can see it with my own eyes" please - just leave it this once. :) That's not to say I mind comments from other Australian-dwellers sharing their experience of the population at large.

(I'll take those who vote for the Dasa option as a no, BTW ;) And I should add non-Aussie, non-Dasa votes will be disqualified :p)
I voted for the Dasa option; why Sam (and other non-Aussies) voted I don't know, but it's not a massive problem TBH, I know who's an Aussie and who's not. There are also people who've posted their views without clicking on the vote.

Either way - the results and the posts interest me, greatly.
Kind of ****s up your survey then

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eh? It doesn't do anything - as I said, votes (other than for the Dasa option) from non-Aussies will be disqualified.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Either way, a tally thus far...

Yes: 11 (Andrew Garven, Sean Ehlers, bond21, Cameron Burge, cameeel, Julian87, Laurrz, Malleeboy, Nath Patrick, sideshowtim, The_Bunny)

No: 16 (burr, irfan, NUFAN, Greg Thomas, Speersy, Jack McNamara, Andy Cameron, Eclipse, Tim Whelan, Rob Cribb, Dan Smith, Sean Fuller, KaZoH0lic, Corey Taylor, David Hoitink)

Don't care either way: 1 (K Wright)

More to come hopefully...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, are you able to remove them from the poll then?
Well I'm not able to remove them from the poll, but the poll's not exclusively what I'm going to take my results from. :p See above - I'll do my own tallies based on Aussies in the poll plus Aussies who've posted their views without voting.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm not sure why Fiery cares so much actually, not like it's his poll or anything. Probably best if I didn't vote but meh, who cares?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The more non-Aussies who vote the longer it'll take me to get the results I was looking for, but that's it - I'll get them.

Is a bit odd I must admit that Fiery seems so concerned. :huh: